Iron vs aluminum intake weights

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Iron vs aluminum intake weights

Took a weight test today of both my intake, Iron is about 29kilos and the edelbrock 2151 is 10kilos, what a diffrent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0172.jpg (72.9 KB, 80 views)
DSC_0170.jpg (62.5 KB, 75 views)
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

And how is this a surprise? Iron vs Aluminum is obviously lighter than Iron when it comes to weight. Sorry.

Last edited by Allan R; March 18th, 2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: change language
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
And how is this a surprise? Iron vs Aluminum is a no brainer when it comes to weight. Sorry.
True. But sometimes it's worth measuring
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Only time it's worth measuring is when you have to install one. If it's iron, call Arnold. If it's aluminum call your wife.

Yeah, I know. It's a comparison thing, but honestly - did you think they were going to be even close?
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Senior Moment Member

So, like you've never tried this to see how much weight you're saving? You're a liar if you say you didn't. I love this kind of confirmation stuff. You know you are doing a good thing but need confirmation on it. The scale thing is a great way to do it. Try a set of heads next! Nice going Ragger!
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Weight is one thing, I'll admit that. But also most of the stock intakes aren't as well set up for flow as the new aluminum ones are. That's the other key factor in this. No name calling please because I really never did that with an intake to compare. I didn't need it to know there's a sizable difference.

Heads would also be an interesting comparison I guess. I'm NOT criticizing Oldsragger doing this, I'm just stating that the difference in weight is fairly obvious. The stats he's generating for you are cool too if you want them.

The only thing I truly measured for weight was comparing a stock GM bumper to a repro cutout bumper for Wmachine (Kurt). They were close to identical and the only reason I did that was because he asked if I would.

Weighing parts isn't something I waste a lot of time on.
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:23 PM

So 64 pounds vs. 22 pounds for the metrically challenged. That is a nice weight savings. As said above, it would be interesting to see the difference between iron heads and aluminum heads.
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM

And how is this a surprise? Iron vs Aluminum is a no brainer when it comes to weight. Sorry.
Not really, but its fun to compare weights from orginal to aftermarket parts somethimes, maybe next time i will compare sbo and bbo weight, if the weight will not blow,lol
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Weight is one thing, I'll admit that. But also most of the stock intakes aren't as well set up for flow as the new aluminum ones are. That's the other key factor in this. No name calling please because I really never did that with an intake to compare. I didn't need it to know there's a sizable difference.

Heads would also be an interesting comparison I guess. I'm NOT criticizing Oldsragger doing this, I'm just stating that the difference in weight is fairly obvious. The stats he's generating for you are cool too if you want them.

The only thing I truly measured for weight was comparing a stock GM bumper to a repro cutout bumper for Wmachine (Kurt). They were close to identical and the only reason I did that was because he asked if I would.

X2

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
Not really, but its fun to compare weights from orginal to aftermarket parts somethimes, maybe next time i will compare sbo and bbo weight, if the weight will not blow,lol
You're going to stand on your scale holding a big block Olds? This I gotta' see
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Just weighed my iron bare 'C' head at 51 pounds and my aluminum bare casting at 26 pounds. That's substantial weight off the front end, 50 pounds in heads alone.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
X2

You're going to stand on your scale holding a big block Olds? This I gotta' see
Well im not yet there to deadlift the weight of a bbo,but maybe soon.

I have a engine lifter tool, and its possible to balance a engine on the sides on it and it can will stay on its place, but the weight scale, i think i would need a solid weight if so.

Last edited by Oldsragger; March 18th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Even more of a no-brainer when you realize that the density of cast iron is 0.252 lb/in^3 and density of aluminum is 0.097 lb/in^3. That's a little less than 3:1.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:06 AM

So im a no-brainer? Ok thank you. point was to Just show the weight diffrent only, or it could be another engine part if i had it aviable. Of course Iron is heavyer than aluminum, but somethimes its fun to see the number diffrents. (in my opinion)

Last edited by Oldsragger; March 18th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:43 AM

Mine was 75 pounds almost to the 1oth loaded (dirty) E heads and cast iron intake vs new edelbrock heads and a o4b intake
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Enjoyed the info, thanks Oldsragger for posting. I was thinking about a swap to alumimum, and I was wondering the same thing since I'll be buying front coil springs, too.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Wow, so you lose 45 kilograms by swapping heads and intake to aluminum? Now the last thing we need to know is how much weight can be saved
by swapping the iron exhaust manifolds for headers because intake/heads/headers is what most people swap if they want some power…maybe another 30 kilograms? That would add up to 75 kilograms which is the weight of a smaller adult…something you would definitely feel in the acceleration...
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Lets substitute the word "obvious" for "no-brainer". I'm sure it wasn't intended, but it does sound insulting. I found the original post interesting. I weighed my W30 intake vs cast iron also, 25 years ago, don't remember the numbers.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Aluminum parts aren't always lighter than iron or steel. What most people don't realize is that the specific stiffness for aluminum and steel are the same - steel is three times stiffer that aluminum and has three times the density. For an optimized design in each, the differences in weight will be negligible.

Also, when you get to high-strength steels and aviation-grade aluminum alloys, the strength-to-weight ratios are also about the same, so again for an optimized design they should both weigh about the same. This is why I'm skeptical of Ford's weight savings claims on the new F-150. Apparently, the savings in real life aren't nearly the 700 lbs that the original articles claim.

Aluminum is lighter when the part being manufactured has minimum wall thicknesses that don't allow an optimized design, such as the intake manifold in the original post.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good idea. I'll go back and change my wording. It wasn't intended to be insulting. Your word choice is the 'obvious' solution to this situation
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

In the aerospace industry, the term "no-brainer" is simply slang that is synonymous with "obvious" and is not intended to be insulting. Unfortunately, that's a U.S. thing that probably doesn't translate well. Sorry about that.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

x2
oldsragger - no insults were intended. The term is a north american colloquialism probably like some of the ones you use in your country to describe some things. Hope all is good.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Dont worry, my english understanding can be a little misunderstand or slow somethimes, it's still interesting to read and learn

I will weight the orginal exhaust manifolds too,but later, but they are from a SBO, im not sure if BBO manifolds are diffrent.

Compare to some headers i have.

Last edited by Oldsragger; March 18th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:52 PM

The first time I ever had trouble with my lower back was trying to install a iron BBO manifold with the engine in the car. (I was 24 at the time). Still hurts just to think about it.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Hookers under Hood

Great thread oldsragger, I'm always looking to drop a few pound off my 76 cutlass supreme. I didn't weigh the parts I removed, didn't notice much difference with the headers over the manifolds (SBO) handling them. It would be good to know. I noticed a big difference when swapping out the factory starter to the powermaster mini starter . Also going with the miloden aluminum water pump. I'll be swapping my 3 row copper rad out for a 2 row aluminium which should help just with coolant weight alone. Geez I had factory aluminium rear brake drums and wiring in my 1978 monte carlo imagine that.
Hope this thread keeps going with weight saving parts.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; March 18th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:45 PM

My 67-455 was built with a Torker, Edelbrock heads, Hooker headers, and an aluminum radiator. Besides to the power gains from the loss of weight and the highly modified engine, I feel that my biggest gain was in keeping the beast running on the cool side.I understand aluminum dissipates heat much faster and with the Suburban aluminum radiator that I choose, a Mr Gasket adjustable thermostat the engine runs between 155-175 degrees. It will run 180-190 tops in 100 degree Texas heat in traffic. I believe the other bonus running cool is I manage to get 36 degrees total advance timing on 93 octane with 10.5 compression no pings at all.
Attached Images
67-4.JPG (64.5 KB, 54 views)
461 on stand.jpg (61.1 KB, 56 views)
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
The first time I ever had trouble with my lower back was trying to install a iron BBO manifold with the engine in the car. (I was 24 at the time). Still hurts just to think about it.
I'm gonna' need a couple Ibuprofen after reading this post. Dude!
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Senior Moment Member

My apologies. I just thought you were treating the OP harshly. My fault.
Old May 17th, 2022, 01:31 PM

What if it’s warped. I put an edelgarbage on my car, I started with a new one.
Old May 17th, 2022, 04:46 PM
66 cutlass

Thanks for posting that. Just bought an Olds with a 455 and aluminum intake and was wondering the weight difference.