Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Intake manifold

I removed everything off of the top end of my engine...preparing to paint the intake manifold, valve covers and top half of the front of the block...maybe the heads too. I have been spraying down everything with Simple Green, scrubbing with brushes, scraping with dental tool and then wiping up with paper towel. I will wire brush the rusty areas and then wipe down everything twice that I am going to paint with denatured alcohol and cloth rags.

To do a better job cleaning the intake manifold, I removed the two bolts that hold the u-shaped bracket on the #1 intake port. After about twenty minutes, I noticed antifreeze seeping out. I put the bracket and bolts back in and tightened up.

Is there reason to be concerned? Did I just contaminate my oil with antifreeze?

Thanks,

Dan
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator

No those bolts go into the water crossover, I would put some plumbers thread sealer on the bolt threads and reinstall.
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

The intake manifold bolts are in blind holes. They do not use sealer, only oil to lubricate them for proper torque readings. The reason why you saw coolant is that you did remove the bolts that hold the water port against the gasket, so you unsealed the gasket and allowed coolant to seep out. It IS likely that some coolant leaked into the valley under the intake, which drains to the oil pan. Check for coolant on the dipstick.

The reality is that a small amount of water or coolant in the oil will boil off once the oil reaches operating temperature. If there's a lot, change the oil.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:34 AM

and watch coolant level and oil condition for continuing contamination.
Worst case, needs intake gasket replaced.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:59 AM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Thanks...I'll probably just change the oil to be safe then keep an eye on coolant level and oil condition.

Now, I want to take the heat shroud off the exhaust manifold. I have to take off two bolts. Any surprises I need to be aware of? Do I need to dip the bolts in oil to torque like the intake bolts?