How to get specs for installed camshaft (NO I DONT HAVE THE CAM CARD)

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM

How to get specs for installed camshaft (NO I DONT HAVE THE CAM CARD)

I got my dial indicator hooked up like this:

All I gotta do now is turn over the engine and read it correct? I just need to measure the maximum lift right?

Paul
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM
same but different

You take that reading and then times that by 1.6. Which is the rocker arm ratio.

I suggest you take the reading in couple of different places. At least two intakes and at least two exhaust valves,then average them independantly. That way you can see if you have a dual or single pattern cam.

xyz X 1.6 = lift
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by don71
You take that reading and then times that by 1.6. Which is the rocker arm ratio.

I suggest you take the reading in couple of different places. At least two intakes and at least two exhaust valves,then average them independantly. That way you can see if you have a dual or single pattern cam.

xyz X 1.6 = lift
My plans exactly. And thanks,

Paul
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by don71

xyz X 1.6 = lift
Uhh dude, he's taking it at the valve, technically he'll have to divide it by 1.6 to get lobe lift, you have it backwards.
Also that won't be accurate anyway. By the time the lifter bleeds down etc it'll change the lift figure a bunch.
Remove the rocker and measure it on the lifter side, then times it by 1.6. Doing it on the lifter side will be way more accurate. Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Uhh dude, he's taking it at the valve, technically he'll have to divide it by 1.6 to get lobe lift, you have it backwards.
Also that won't be accurate anyway. By the time the lifter bleeds down etc it'll change the lift figure a bunch.
Remove the rocker and measure it on the lifter side, then times it by 1.6. Doing it on the lifter side will be way more accurate. Good luck.

Thanks!

Ill post the results, not doing it tonight as its raining.