Help With Intake Selection

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:09 AM

Help With Intake Selection

Currently I have a 72 Cutlass S with the original 455 in it, and right around 70k miles. Right now I have an Edelbrock Performer intake with a couple of big cracks(previous owner didn't block the crossover). I recently put a small Comp cam in there, can post specs if people think it's necessary. The heads are stock, but the car has Hooker Super Comp headers and a 3in exhaust system. The current carb is a 750cfm Edelbrock.
Over the winter I'm wanting to replace the intake and possibly the carburetor. Specifically I'm wondering if I should look at the Torker and a larger carb, or if that is too much for my current setup. I don't plan to race the car but I do enjoy extra power. At some point down the road I would like to build the motor and do some head work or go with a set of Edelbrock heads but that is likely a couple of years away. At this point I just want a fun potent street car.
Thanks for the input.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Stay with the performer. If you put better heads and/or cam in it then you can upsize the carb but that intake is certainly one of the best for anything less than all out.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM

re

The performer seems to be the best all around intake. Depending upon where the cracks are, you could have yours repaired and paint it. Or just pick up another one!
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM

You'll certainly get no argument on the Edelbrock Performer from me, as running one on my modified 455 build, and makes torque everywhere. Running a Q-Jet custom tuned for my application, and you'd swear this thing was multi port fuel injected. Car originally had a stock 403, I cammed, headers, tuned Q-Jet, re-curved dizzy, headers ext, with a Holley single plane Street Dominator(similar to the the Torker), that ran pretty good, but not much low end torque. With no other changes, swapped to an Edelbrock Performer, and thing became a burn out king. Really nothing will touch this manifold on the street.