Hello german Olds enthusiastic need some help

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Hello german Olds enthusiastic need some help

First of all hello,
my name is Jörg from the north of Germany,
I'm 50 years old and restoring an 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme.
I have bought it partly disassembled, that's the reason why I need some help because I don't now where some parts have been,
I have bought an 455 engine from 1971 eighty eight and rebuild it.
My plan is to start it soon, therefore I need some locations of sensor and also parts I can use because there are missing some.
Ok here are my questions:

On picture 1: One question i plan to test run the engine before go further, at the water pump Pic. 1 there are 2 port, I know the one lined red goes to the intake above as shown end I guess the other goes to the heat exchanger from heating-box to the input side,

where goes the hose from the heating-box outputside, and can I block this Port off for test running at water pump.

On picture 2:

I marked some locations (1-6) for sensors or ports/terminals

Can please someone give me info's, what kind of sensor or terminal goes into the 6 marked ones

One more question i plan to test run the engine before go further, at the water pump Pic. 1 there are 2 port, I know the one lined red goes to the intake above as shown end I guess the other goes to the heat exchanger from heating-box to the input side,

where goes the hose from the heating-box outputside, and can I block this Port off for test running at water pump.

Sorry seams to be stupid but I get stuck here.

Regards Jörg ;-)

Old August 18th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Gary

Hello Jörg.

You have a beautiful car and engine looks to be well done too.

Port 4 goes to heater. Port ? on water pump is from heater. You can block both these if you don't have a heater connected.

You can block port 6.

Port 5 is for vacuum to the power brake booster.

Port 2 is for coolant temperature.

Port 3 can be blocked.

I believe port 1 is for a thermal vacuum switch that controls distributor spark advance to reduce emissions. Someone else will confirm this.
Old August 18th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Hello VC455 thank you for your ultra fast help,
in port 4 you said goes to the heater, what kind of fitting goes into this port ?
Old August 18th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Gary

If your car is air conditioned, a vacuum-operated valve goes into this port. The vacuum shuts off the hot water when maximum air conditioning is selected.

If your care is not air conditioned, a hose nipple with restriction goes in this port. If you do not use a restricted nipple, there will be too much pressure in the heater core and it will soon leak.
Old August 18th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just to clarify a little, any one of ports 1, 2, or 3 can be used for temperature senders. This aftermarket intake has multiple ports to accommodate a variety of installations. Use the one or ones that you need and plug the others with pipe plugs. Port 4 is normally the outlet from the engine to the heater core, and the (?) port on the water pump is the inlet for return from the heater back to the engine. As noted, you can plug both if you are not using a heater or just breaking in the motor. Port 6 is not normally used on Oldsmobile applications and gets a pipe plug. All of the ports into the intake runners (5 and the ones in front of the carb mounting pad) are sources of manifold vacuum. These are used for power brakes, automatic transmission, feed for the HVAC if you have A/C, or any other vacuum operated accessories. They are all equivalent in that they all see the same manifold vacuum. If you plan to run the distributor vacuum advance on manifold vacuum as opposed to ported vacuum, that can be connected to one of these ports as well.
Old August 18th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Don't for get the oil pressure port on the top of the block between water pump and the intake manifold, you will have a big oily wet spot on the ceiling of your shop..
Old August 19th, 2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Don't for get the oil pressure port on the top of the block between water pump and the intake manifold, you will have a big oily wet spot on the ceiling of your shop..
x2

It's directly in front of the coolant temp sensor you marked as #2.