Head removal

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Head removal

Hi, haven't posted in awhile, but I'm finally breaking down my 455 to be rebuilt, trying to do the majority of the work myself. Is there a technique getting the bolts out? Normally, I'd just heat them and use a breaker bar, but I'd rather not trash anything if that's not the right thing to do, also do they come out in a specific order? I know some motors are picky that way.

BTW, so far pulling and working on this motor is one of the easiest things I've had to do in a long time!!
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM

I assume your talking about the exhaust manifolds.
There's a few bolts in the center, that go through the flange, and have a tendancy to rust on the exposed ends - just fill the area with PB Blaster, and let it sit a few days!!
ALL the exhaust manifold bolts have a tendancy to break - just take it easy after some penetrating oil!
Good Luck!
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Are you talking about the head bolts? Olds head bolts are pretty sturdy - attack them any way you want. Not picky on order, either. And they are reusable (not torque-to-yield type).
I just use the trusty air impact. Usually the head is stuck to the block really well. Use a sturdy flat-blade screwdriver wedged between the block and the head at a corner to lever it off.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM

x2 on impact and flat head, did that very same thing just 3 days ago with my 68'
Exhaust manifold bolts are the hard ones though, i left that for a later date when i'll have more time and patience lol
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks! Just ended up going at it with a breaker bar and worked great
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oddball
Use a sturdy flat-blade screwdriver wedged between the block and the head at a corner to lever it off.
I try to lever against protrusions, such as the raised areas where some of the accessory bolts go in - prying between the head and block makes me nervous.

- Eric
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM

^ Agreed, but some times are desperate. I have a memorable experience with a 350 that trashed the head and broke other stuff. Stay at the edge and it should be fine.