hash marks on crank and seal

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM

hash marks on crank and seal

Ok in the next few weeks I will be starting my rebuild on my 455 and i have read in a few post on here that the hash marks on the rear of the crank will cause the seal to leak if not polished off!!!

Is this true.....I would like to do this the right way the first time and would hate to install the engine back into the car and have this cause me a problem!!

Anyone out there have left it as is and had no problems.....MY crank goes out for a re-grind in the next few days....is this something I should get them to do???

Thanks!!
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM

I have done several. The first one I did, I had the shop, polish it real good, and I still have that car, and no problem. Also did this on a 400 ,which my son ownes no problem. I put one on a 72 VC, I rebuilt, and used a different crank guy, and he said to take them off, which he did, Never had a problem with it as long as I owned it, but sold it about 3 years after I rebuilt it. So to me it looks like as long as it is polished real good, that should work.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM

thanks for your info
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who didn't polish off the ridges - either good or bad.

I've got a motor with an original non-leaking RMS that is out right now, and I was thinking of replacing it with a modern seal, but I am NOT going to mess with the crank at this time.

There is always an argument that if it ain't broke, I shouldn't f... I mean mess with it.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM

I have done several and never have polish the crank in that area.
i have done a few , with the seal turned 1/4" with a dab of sealer no problems.
i have also done a few with the seal even and a small dab of sealer and no problems.
I have also fix a few where the seal was in backwards, just turn it around and put back in, no problems.
a couple of them, had the block side in correct and the main cap side backwards.
just remember the bevel side faces out, towards the back or faces the flywheel.

Gene
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I have done several and never have polish the crank in that area.
i have done a few , with the seal turned 1/4" with a dab of sealer no problems.
i have also done a few with the seal even and a small dab of sealer and no problems.
I have also fix a few where the seal was in backwards, just turn it around and put back in, no problems.
a couple of them, had the block side in correct and the main cap side backwards.
just remember the bevel side faces out, towards the back or faces the flywheel.

Gene
X2 on what Gene said. I've never polished out the hash marks either and not had a problem with the rubber seal. Keep in mind that the hash marks are IN FRONT of the seal. They are there to prevent oil from migrating towards the seal. They do NOT touch the rope seal, either, because the would chew it up. They serve the same purpose as the oil slinger that goes over the cam gear at the other end of the crank.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Agreed. I have never polished out the marks. Heavy polishing would end up with the crank being significantly smaller diameter in that area, and the seal wouldn't bear on the crank as much as intended. A light polish would be OK.