FWD 455 Build (I know....I'm nuts....)

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM

FWD 455 Build (I know....I'm nuts....)

Hello everyone!! I'm brand new here, and I am very happy to be able to talk to other like minded olds lovers. Thanks!!

So here's the deal....I am building my 68' Toro 455 (in the shop right now) to be the fastest street driven 68 Toro in the known galaxy. (with original engine). I am shooting for the low 12/high 11 second range and I want to know if, as far as my engine is concerned, I am heading in the right direction. I expect it to be a long journey with many steps but I DO want to achieve my goal. Here is my engine, which I will be getting back in 2-3 days.

Original 68' 455 block .030 over -10.2:1 CR
original forged rods and N-crank
Aluminum Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads - Milled 80thousandths
Comp Cams dual valve springs
Harland Sharp 1.6 Roller Rockers
Comp Cams Hi Tech pushrods
Custom Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam 39 degree
.574 .569 -tappet lift 274 282 - @ 108 224 230
Comp Cams Hydraulic Lifters
BTR Multi Hole Timing Set
BTR Roller Cam Bolt
Mondello bronze thrush washer
Edelbrock Torker Intake Manifold - port matched and milled .080
Comp Cams Nitrided Steel Distributor Gear
Summit Racing HEI
Cometic Head Gaskets .027
ARP Head Bolts
Mr. Gasket Intake Gaskets
True Dual 2.5" exhaust with Dynomax Race Bullet mufflers dumped

Next in line will be a limited slip front end, 3.70 gears and a torque converter in a few months. (another $2500 ) I KNOW I will have major traction issues and the Toro is heavy, but is the engine inline with my projections if I can get the other problems solved? What do you guys think my Dyno (FWHP) will be? Any other problems you guys see?

I am eager to learn and WILL take advice and keep you posted (w/pics + video) of my progress. I am NOT an engine builder so please keep that in mind when offering overly technical advice.

Thanks for your help!!

Max

Last edited by max3ismyname; July 15th, 2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: fun!! :)
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM

I would have made a 496 stroker out of it,or at least made the rotating assembly lighter.There is a lot more HP that could be made for that car.BTR can do it.You could get that Toro running a lot quicker than high 11's.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

BTR has a good reputation for engine building so you should benefit from it. Good luck.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

The engine is only part of your problem. The trans is based on the TH400, so most internal hard parts swap. The final drive is the problem. This trans was used in the GMC motor homes for 1973-77 and there are aftermaket custom gear sets and locker differentials available, but they are VERY expensive.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Oldsdruid

Once you've achieved this goal I want you to make sure Jay Leno (or more to the point his German carbuilder) sees the car and realises once and for all that the Toronado drivetrain CAN handle massive amounts of horsepower and torque. Like Hairy didn't prove it 45 years ago, but I guess they didn't see that car in Germany.

The gearing is going to be your hard spot. That and no aftermarket performance intake is going to fit under the Toro hood, so get ready for a hood scoop. You might look into having your exhaust manifolds extrude honed since they're your only real option there short of fenderwell headers.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The gearing is going to be your hard spot. That and no aftermarket performance intake is going to fit under the Toro hood, so get ready for a hood scoop. You might look into having your exhaust manifolds extrude honed since they're your only real option there short of fenderwell headers.
Actually, you'll be amazed at the parts that have been developed to support the GMC motorhome community. Most of these parts will also fit a Toro. For example, how about a low profile aluminum intake:

Note the lack of an exhaust crossover and the bosses for port injectors if you want. Here's the link: http://www.gmccoop.com/aluminum_intake.htm

Unfortunately, as with all GMC motorhome parts, its pretty pricey.

Doug Thorley sells headers for the motorhome that should also fit a Toro under P/N 355Y:

Finally, Applied GMC (www.appliedgmc.com) sells gear sets in 3.55:1, 3.70:1, and 4.10:1 ratios. Expect to pay between $1400 and $1800 just for the gear set, however.

Applied GMC also sells a limited slip differential for $795.

Finally, they also sell a really cool finned aluminum diff cover:

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Registered car nut

Very cool idea ! Got pics ? Toro's are great looking cars.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Joe, thanks for that pic on the headers. Those might be a good starting point for a set of fender well headers for the 64.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Yes, those are the parts I'm getting in a few months from that site. (appliedgmc.com) I'll be getting the gears, diff, and housing. Mondello is going to make me custom headers that are ceramic coated for $650. And as fas as the intake manifold go, a guy (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2591207) fit what looks like a performer under th hood with some modifications. I have had the Torker's flanges shaved and am going to use a drop down air cleaner. Hopefully it works I can't wait to put pics up, I will do so next week as my build is stalled due to a cracked manifold Does anyone have an estimate as to my dyno? (fwhp)

max
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:42 AM

It will be interesting to see what headers you get from Mondello.I know "they" are not making them,so you might end up with the ones in the picture.
I've seen guys take the Performer & Torker intakes,& cut the carb throat down,to gain hood clearance,which is OK,but you are also changing the function of the intake by reducing plenum volume.You may be better off with an Edelbrock O4B,which is lower than a performer,& stock height for the A-body style intakes.
That dual-quad crossram in Joe's sig would be really cool.I would like to try that myself.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
That dual-quad crossram in Joe's sig would be really cool.I would like to try that myself.
Yeah, I'll bet you would...

Seriously, it's significantly taller than any stock intake, so it's not going to solve the hood clearance issue.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Oh.I know.I've seen at least one other one before.It's a cool piece. Make an OAI hood with individual airboxes,for each carb.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Oh.I know.I've seen at least one other one before.It's a cool piece. Make an OAI hood with individual airboxes,for each carb.
EXACTLY my plan. I've got an aftermarket O.A.I. hood that I plan to modify for just that purpose.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Oldsdruid

I guess I should come out from under my rock once in a while. I had no idea the motorhome guys had all this neat stuff available!

I can appreciate this stuff. Efficiency is the name of the game for those behemoths. Anything that can be done to increase performance and gas mileage for them is great, and if Toro-heads get some benefit, mo' power!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, you'll be amazed at the parts that have been developed to support the GMC motorhome community. Most of these parts will also fit a Toro. For example, how about a low profile aluminum intake:

Note the lack of an exhaust crossover and the bosses for port injectors if you want. Here's the link: http://www.gmccoop.com/aluminum_intake.htm

Unfortunately, as with all GMC motorhome parts, its pretty pricey.

Doug Thorley sells headers for the motorhome that should also fit a Toro under P/N 355Y:

Finally, Applied GMC (www.appliedgmc.com) sells gear sets in 3.55:1, 3.70:1, and 4.10:1 ratios. Expect to pay between $1400 and $1800 just for the gear set, however.

Applied GMC also sells a limited slip differential for $795.

Finally, they also sell a really cool finned aluminum diff cover:

Old July 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I guess I should come out from under my rock once in a while. I had no idea the motorhome guys had all this neat stuff available!
Yeah, but apparently the motorhome community also has bottomless checkbooks, given the prices on some of this stuff.