Engine Number

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2019, 08:01 AM

Engine Number

Hi all
I have this number on the timing chain casing 396026G, have I read this right as 68-69 400ci? I am hoping I havent decoded it correctly as I was sold this as 455ci

TIA
Aaron
Old December 1st, 2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RotternEgg
Hi all
I have this number on the timing chain casing 396026G, have I read this right as 68-69 400ci? I am hoping I havent decoded it correctly as I was sold this as 455ci
TIA
Aaron
According to a chart I have, its a "long stroke" 400 c.i. engine. I doubt there is enough cylinder wall material for it to have been bored out to make it a 455. You should check your documentation of what you bought.
Old December 1st, 2019, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply, I was only checking today as I wanted to order some service parts for her. Maybe I shouldnt have trusted the dealer I bought it from so much! Only had it 48hrs an all
Old December 1st, 2019, 09:29 AM

What dealer ? I would look at what was specified and contact that dealer with photo's about the problem.
Old December 1st, 2019, 09:48 AM

A guy from Holland (I'm in the UK), Greenville Garage. Was advertised as a 455ci
Old December 1st, 2019, 10:17 AM

A guy from Holland (I'm in the UK), Greenville Garage. Was advertised as a 455ci
OUCH ! Someone should have known what you really have, and I am sure they did. Crossing international borders creates a lot of difficulty getting compensated for fraud. Over here in the colonies, its understood you can't trust a used car salesman.
The bright side is that most things interchange between that 400 ("long stroke 400" G block) and the 455. Pistons and the engine block are the major differences.
Old December 1st, 2019, 11:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

As Ralph correctly points out, that is a 1968-69 G-block 400. Same crank and rods as a 455, but only a 3.890" bore vs. 4.125" on the 455. No, there isn't enough meat on the cylinder walls to take it out that far.
Old December 1st, 2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the replies Gents. As we are both members of the EU I'm sure I will have some rights and I will be looking into it, whether its a refund on the price or a return. Do you guys know what the difference in price would be based on the 455 being a 400?
Old December 1st, 2019, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the replies Gents. As we are both members of the EU I'm sure I will have some rights and I will be looking into it, whether its a refund on the price or a return. Do you guys know what the difference in price would be based on the 455 being a 400?
Unfortunately, pricing is difficult to assess. The G-block 400 was only made for two years, and only installed in the 442 and some Vista Cruisers. As a result it is relatively rare as compared to the 455 that was built from 1968-1976 and used in nearly all full size Oldsmobiles, Toronados, GMC motorhomes, 1970-up 442s, etc. Obviously these are MUCH more common. On the other hand, the G-block 400 was not one of Oldsmobile's better engines. The relatively tiny bore and long stroke made for less than ideal breathing and more than a few grenaded when used for racing. The reality is that the G-block is only desirable to someone restoring a 68-69 442, and even then many of those cars have been retrofitted with the more desirable 455 motors. Here in the US, any bare Olds block will sell for US$100-200. I have no idea of availability or value in the EU, unfortunately.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, pricing is difficult to assess. The G-block 400 was only made for two years, and only installed in the 442 and some Vista Cruisers. As a result it is relatively rare as compared to the 455 that was built from 1968-1976 and used in nearly all full size Oldsmobiles, Toronados, GMC motorhomes, 1970-up 442s, etc. Obviously these are MUCH more common. On the other hand, the G-block 400 was not one of Oldsmobile's better engines. The relatively tiny bore and long stroke made for less than ideal breathing and more than a few grenaded when used for racing. The reality is that the G-block is only desirable to someone restoring a 68-69 442, and even then many of those cars have been retrofitted with the more desirable 455 motors. Here in the US, any bare Olds block will sell for US$100-200. I have no idea of availability or value in the EU, unfortunately.
Thanks for the replies. The dealer has offered to take the Olds back which I do not particularly want as this would make me out of pocket by nearly 3000GBP. Is there much difference between the 400 and 455 engines? The 400 has had some work done, Edelbrock heads, Edelbrook intake manifold, high lift roller cam, Holley 850cfm and performance headers. Hotchkiss performance suspension. Wilwood 6pot calipers all round. I havent been able to drive it yet as its currently not registered so only had the test drive which was a while back now
Old December 2nd, 2019, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. The dealer has offered to take the Olds back which I do not particularly want as this would make me out of pocket by nearly 3000GBP. Is there much difference between the 400 and 455 engines? The 400 has had some work done, Edelbrock heads, Edelbrook intake manifold, high lift roller cam, Holley 850cfm and performance headers. Hotchkiss performance suspension. Wilwood 6pot calipers all round. I havent been able to drive it yet as its currently not registered so only had the test drive which was a while back now
I looked at his website and wasn't impressed. If you return the car, it should be at HIS EXPENSE as well as compensate you for shipping you a fraudulent item. You could negotiate down to him shipping at HIS EXPENSE a usable 455 block and pistons. You may need to consult some legal advice.

I would also ask for documentation on this performance work done to the engine. If I was you, I would start the car up and make sure everything works and it doesn't overheat, stops well and is what you expected.

3000GBP is that 3,000 "British" pounds ? Last weeks conversion was about $1.28/1.00 pound.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 08:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The only substantive difference between the G-block 400 and the 455 is the bore. 3.890" vs 4.125"
Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I looked at his website and wasn't impressed. If you return the car, it should be at HIS EXPENSE as well as compensate you for shipping you a fraudulent item. You could negotiate down to him shipping at HIS EXPENSE a usable 455 block and pistons. You may need to consult some legal advice.

I would also ask for documentation on this performance work done to the engine. If I was you, I would start the car up and make sure everything works and it doesn't overheat, stops well and is what you expected.

3000GBP is that 3,000 "British" pounds ? Last weeks conversion was about $1.28/1.00 pound.
I agree with shipping at his expense. When test drove, we were out for a good while and put her through her paces and no signs overheating, it stopped quicker than it went so I'm confident that everything is fine on that account, no paperwork but its the only the cams I cannot see. Just the engine being not what I expected is a big disappointment. I have asked about the block but he doesnt have one, he has offered 250 euros as compensation but I dont think I can buy a 455 block and pistons for that??

Yes, its 3000 british pounds
Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only substantive difference between the G-block 400 and the 455 is the bore. 3.890" vs 4.125"
So given the mods its had would there be much in the performance between the two?
Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:55 AM

I agree with shipping at his expense. When test drove, we were out for a good while and put her through her paces and no signs overheating, it stopped quicker than it went so I'm confident that everything is fine on that account, no paperwork but its the only the cams I cannot see. Just the engine being not what I expected is a big disappointment. I have asked about the block but he doesnt have one, he has offered 250 euros as compensation but I dont think I can buy a 455 block and pistons for that??
Yes, its 3000 british pounds
What the conversion of Euro's ? I would suggest 500 "british" pounds or whatever Euro's that would be.
You have no idea what pistons are in the motor now. Who built the engine ?
I wouldn't expect him to pay promptly, but thats just my opinion.

So given the mods its had would there be much in the performance between the two?
That would be hard to determine. The G block 400 was not chosen for performance.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:05 PM

I'm surprised the obvious question hasn't been asked yet: What car is this 400G in? If its a numbers matching block in a '68/9 442, and if you don't intend to race it, you might consider keeping it as is, or at least keep the engine w/ the car if you swap it for a 455. Can't blame you though for using this a leverage for compensation since it was mis-represented.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; December 2nd, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
I'm surprised the obvious question hasn't been asked yet: What car is this 400G in? If its a numbers matching block in a '68/9 442, and if you don't intend to race it, you might consider keeping it as is, or at least keep the engine w/ the car if you swap it for a 455. Can't blame you though for using this a leverage for compensation since it was mis-represented.
Its in 69 cutlass, a 442 clone which I did know
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:05 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Its in 69 cutlass, a 442 clone which I did know
So, let's review: it was represented as being a legitimate 4-4-2 (344- VIN) with a 455 swapped in place of the original 400G, but actually it's a Cutlass with 4-4-2 trim and a 400G swapped in place of the original 350.

That about right?
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
So, let's review: it was represented as being a legitimate 4-4-2 (344- VIN) with a 455 swapped in place of the original 400G, but actually it's a Cutlass with 4-4-2 trim and a 400G swapped in place of the original 350.

That about right?
No, it was sold as a 442 Clone with 455 engine and mods

Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:36 AM
Rocket Renegade!

No, it was sold as a 442 Clone with 455 engine and mods
Ah, well that's at least a little better.