Dual Exhaust for my 98 - a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
1967 Olds 98 Holiday Sdn.

Dual Exhaust for my 98 - a good idea?

Hi all,

I would like to convert my stock '67 98 to dual exhaust.
Since I am in Germany, I can't just go to a muffler shop (no such thing over here) and need to order something.

I found that www.usapartssupply.com has one. $400 with mufflers, no resonators.
Since I am looking at paying $240 for shipping, I have a couple of questions:

1) has anyone owned, seen, or installed one of their systems?

2) obviously using the true dual exhaust left side exhaust manifold is best, but can I get away with using my stock manifold? They seem to offer an exhaust for that, is there really enough room for the pipe? (I want the exhaust for sound only, not for power gain.)

Thanks a lot!
Rod
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I am pretty sure that the only exhaust system you can get for duals would be one using the factory style S dual exhaust manifold. It is very hard and unsightly to use the left side manifold for single exhaust and try and run duals. The S manifold is reproduced. Duals give a noticeable increase in HP over the stock single system.

If you just want sound you can swap the muffler for a glass pack or punch some holes in your existing muffler.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; February 15th, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I am pretty sure that the only exhaust system you can get for duals would be one using the factory style S dual exhaust manifold. It is very hard and unsightly to use the left side manifold for single exhaust and try and run duals. The S manifold is reproduced. Duals give a noticeable increase in HP over the stock single system.

If you just want sound you can swap the muffler for a glass pack or punch some holes in your existing muffler.
That's correct. The exhaust from USA Parts Supply is a factory-replacement set and only fits the factory dual exhaust manifolds. You'll need to install the Thornton repro LH manifold for this set to work.

http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...aust-manifolds

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Kanter also makes a mild steel dual exhaust system for $592.25.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

USA probably has them made by an exhaust place and drop shipped. The only problem with that is if you have a problem.
It's better to to deal directly with the place that makes them with things like that IMO because if exhaust pipes don't fit they don't fit and trying to resolve the issue would be a transcontinental nightmare.

I got the dual exhaust system for my Vista cruiser from Classic Exhaust, it came with mufflers, clamps and univeral hangers, fits like glove.
He may have given me the clamps and hangers because I was local and paid cash money?... got a discount for that too.
Made from aluminized pipe, standard, not mandrel bent.

Duals for your car would be $320, you would have to contact them for a shipping quote, the owner is a real nice guy to deal with and knows his stuff.
If you go with them they may be able to make the longer pipes in sections to get the size down to save some money on shipping if it matters.

No exhaust shops in Germany huh?
What do they have?.. Smurfs living in the Black Forest bending the pipes up for the beemers??......Verrrrrry interesting.

http://classicexhaustinc.com/

Last edited by Bluevista; February 15th, 2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: stuttering
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

While Mike at USA suggested the "cheap" option of using the std. manifold and said that he thinks his shop can make an exhaust like that, I am doubtful. There just doesn't seem to be much room for the pipe.
So I will go with the Thornton manifold, which USA also sells.

One more exhaust question, they offer systems with or without resonators.
Is a system w/o resonator just a little louder, or does it also mean annoying resonance on the highway?

I want to order the exhaust from USA because I also need other parts (such as a vinyl top), so to save shipping, I rather get everything from one source.

Custom exhaust systems can be made in Germany, but the few places that do this are high-end, all polished stainless steel for $$$.
I guess one reason is that the exhaust system is an inspection-relevant part over here, it has the potential to increase your hp, rendering your vehicle unsafe!
So a "muffler shop" exhaust wouldn't pass the bi-annual inspection over here.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Duals were a stock option on your car, and I believe standard on certain models, so don't worry about an inspection!
Duals on your car can increase the horspower and mileage from 10 - 20% - tuned accordingly.
A K+N air filter woud help a lot, too!
Resonators were an attempt to make things quieter - unneeded in your case, as you've stated you'd like a little 'rumble'!
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Thanks.
While we are on the subject: I have been told that with duals, a crosspipe is almost mandatory to realize that increase in hp and mpg.
Any consensus on that?

Last edited by PushRod; February 16th, 2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Texas Jim

Yes, I'd get resonators in that car you have. They eliminate the annoying vibrations, so you can listen to your music w/o any annoying vibratons at certain rpm, and that in some cases can even loosen bolts and screws over time. Also an "H" pipe about 18" back from where the head pipes straighten out. Makes f/ much better low end torque. Good Luck w/ the fit and installation.
No friends at the motor pool who weld?
Also, if your avatar is a picture of your car, it's really a fantastic looking ride, especially in Germany. Way Cool!!!

Last edited by Texas Jim; February 16th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:46 AM

I used an "H" pipe on my BB Chevelle wagon - and then realized I should've made it a 'slip joint', as I coudn't uncork the headers and bolt the collectors back to the flanges to hold up the pipes!
Holes wouldn't line up, together!
If nothing else, have them 'flange' the crossover, so it'll move independantly, if using headers!
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks Jim, I am quite pleased by its condition. Visually, the vinyl top is the only drawback.
More pics here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-germany.html