Damper Recommendations for 455

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Damper Recommendations for 455

Good evening all. I'm building a 455 .030+. It has a rotating assembly from Eagle. (eagle h beam rods and crank, mahle forged pistons, clevite rings and bearings.) It's being internally balanced. Im trying to figure out the best (best for my application) damper and fly wheel to install on it. I'll be running a TH400 tranny and don't plan to rev above 5500-6000 RPM. I've installed restrictors in the lifter passeges and opted for Edelbrock heads. I hope to put out a little power and need to make sure my bottom end is legit. So... Damper recommendations anyone? I've looked and ATI Super dampers but don't like that they only offer the BBC pulley configuration. I also looked at TCI Rattler but not sure about it. Has anyone used it in their Olds? My Engine will be internally balanced.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Are you or did you go internal, you said both?
Professional products pro series. It has a removable weight in the event you go internal and has both bbc and Bbo bolt patterns.
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM

Yeah My machine shop is balancing it internal. They wnated me to get the damper and flexplate. I thought that when you balance internal you do it without the damper and flexplate on. I'm no machinest and don't know for sure. I saw a chevy thread with pics of a Professional Products damper that came apart. It had nothing good to say about them. But I think they were talking about all out race application. I saw it on Summits site and figured it might be good. Ever heard of or used the TCI Rattler or ATI Super Damper? I'm trying to make a monster street car not an all out 9000RPM drag car. Would the Prof. Products work for me?
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:28 AM

I believe I used one from prw it was sfi rated and I also got. An sfi rated flywheel for the 4 speed
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM

The ATI Super Damper is a great piece.I just take an Olds pulley,and redrill it for the Chevy pattern.There was a Moroso pulley available long ago,but I don't think it is now.I should have copied it when I owned one.
You can run an ATI flexplate,or even a stock one,since you aren't spinning it that high.
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I'd recommend the ATI. Your crank pulley can be easily redrilled for the Chevy pattern.

Oops, Brian beat me to it.
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could drill the pully to fit the ATI damper. I havent heard or found anything negative about ATI so it looks like I may be going with the "Super Damper" for sure.

I should have joined this forum a long time ago!!
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:07 AM

I went to the Mondello and Dick Miller Sites and both agree I should install a halo girdle if my Olds is gonna make more than 500HP. We have been using engine sims put me between 475-517HP. I won't be spinning it faster than 6000 RPM. I'm going for long term reliability. Do I really need the Halo girdle or an equivelant for my bottom end? I wonder if each company said yes becasue they want to sell parts.
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

A girdle certainly can't hurt, but should not be necessary at the level you're talking about. Good machine work and careful assembly is more important.