455 Doorman Harmonic Damper any Good?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mr. Johnson

455 Doorman Harmonic Damper any Good?

Well after replacing the seal and adding a sleeve to the original balancer it still leaks! I see my local auto store has Doorman balancers for 85 bucks. Just wanted to know if they are any good. Everything else I've seen is way out of my price range.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Yes they are a good stock balancer
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Mr. Johnson

Thanks! This has been the month of car part I didn't plan on buying. The seal has 50 miles on it. At 11 bucks should I replace it as well. I'm almost positive its leaking between the sleeve and the damper, not the seal and sleeve. The ring in the damper was pretty bad before I put the sleeve on it.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM

I have read (but have no 1st hand experience) that Doorman harmonic dampers are not press fit on the crank keyway. If you do buy one tell us if this is true?
Thanks
joepenoso
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Just the facts...

remember, olds called for sealer between the crank snout and the dampener. your sleeve should've come with an adhesive/sealant to be applied between the dampener and the sleeve.

bill
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM

I used a Dorman harmonic balancer. It works great.
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Mr. Johnson

I applied the sealer before installing the sleeve ring. It was grooved so bad it was a long shot to begin with. Olds54 was it a press fit or key? I'm wondering now because I'll have to purchase it before they bring it in, and of course the computer doesn't say what kind it is! (This is also the same store that told me I had to buy a complete rotor to replace stripped wheel stud. So for information they are useless!)
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Just the facts...

did you apply sealer to the inside of the dampener, where it meets the crank snout, before installing the dampener to the crank?

bill
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mr. Johnson

No I didn't just the outside when installing the repair sleeve. put the timing cover seal in with some rtv on the outer edge, waited till morning and installed the balancer with an installer. I put oil on the crank and inside the balancer to help it slide on when installing. but no sealant. I can see about 1/8 of the sleeve coming out from the seal.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Just the facts...

well, that *might* be where your leak is coming from. how much of a leak are we talking about?

bill
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mr. Johnson

Wouldn't it leak from the Bolt hole or around the pulley then?The pan will be wet after a 5 mile trim. It's enough to cover the control arm
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Mr. Johnson

Ahh that add choice box pops up and I can't type! the Oil is dripping enough to coat the control arm all the way back to my flywheel cover. But not enough to blow off and smoke from hitting the headers.
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Just the facts...

the new seal should come with a dry type sealer on the outer circumference, the last one i put in had an orange paint-looking sealer. i see that you used rtv and let it dry overnight. that may be your problem. the rtv cured, and when you installed the seal, the rtv just tore off as the seal was driven in. i'd pull that new seal out and clean the timing cover to seal area bone dry, then install a new seal and forget the rtv. don't forget to use a little lube of some sort on the seal lip/balancer seal surface. don't forget the non-hardening sealer(like hi-tack) on the crank snout. you're using a seal driver to install the seal, right?

bill
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:46 AM
Mr. Johnson

The RTV was wet when I drove the seal in, Then let It dry overnight. I Used a small block of wood to drive it in flush with the cover. I applied 10W-40 to the seal lip itself before I installed it and the balancer inside and out where it would sit in the seal. Looking at it closely it looks to be coming from between the "save a sleeve" and damper, not the seal . I ordered the new balancer today and seal. Thanks for all of the help! I'm just sick of my car leaving drips in the garage! I'll keep you updated once I get the parts.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM

You might want to paint the timing mark white before installing the new harmonic balancer. I did this along with painting the numbers white on my timing tab. It makes everything much easier to see when using a timing light. I wish I could post a pic to show everyone.
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM

I posted a few years ago on Dorman balancer. It was not press fit and actually had some play. Returned and bought another and another and all the same but some tighter than others but all slid on easy. I called dorman and he said they are made to factory specs but he pulled a bunch off the shelf and measured and said, wow looks like the whole (Chinese)batch was machined too big.

Anyway....at the time (2011), he pulled all from inventory and said they were going to make a new batch. Assuming he did this, the ones today should be fine.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mr. Johnson

My carb decided to die on me last night and upon removing it I found one of the ears on the base plate cracked. Ordered a rebuild kit from Jegs around 11 last night and it was here when I got home from work. Couldn't believe it! But I still am waiting on the balancer from auto zone. I wanted to put a timing tape on and I forgot to order one. The base plate is gonna have to wait or I'll be living in this car before soon. I hope the balancer is a good fit, Its finally getting nice here and I just want to drive.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mr. Johnson

Got my balancer yesterday finally! Installed it tonight with a new seal. The new Balancer literally slid right on freely which worries me a little. I drove about 3 miles no leaks yet but it started to rain so I'll have to wait to make sure. Looks like that old batch never gor returned oldsconvo. FYI it did have a keyway and a new key to go with it.
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:59 AM

That's what I heard happens....................I decided to buy Pro comp damper that was a press fit ...........looks to be made of better material....has timing marks up to 60 degrees.... top dead centre marked in 4 places.
I thought about it and said why buy an American labelled Chinese product(Dorman) when I can spend a few bucks more and get Australian owned Chinese made item now all I have to worry about is having it come apart at high rpms. Allegedly this was fixed.
Thanks
joepenoso
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mr. Johnson

Well so far so good! I put about 25 highway miles on the new seal and balancer no leaks. Still don't like that I was able to push it on with one hand but its working. Once again thanks everyone for all the help!