collant in cylinders

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM

collant in cylinders

ok. so i get pretty much everything bolted up on my oldsmobile. before i installed my spark plugs i notice......
antifreeze coming from the driver's side spark plug hole...mostly the center 2 cylinders...but also the outer 2 cylnders...
i drain the coolant out of the block and blow out the remaining antifreeze that was in the cylinders....
i did some checks to see what i could have done wrong. i tightened up the cylinder head. those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 85ft/lb tq. the book also had a small note saying that i should use "sealant" on the intake manifold bolts. so i took those out 1 by 1 and put them back in with sealant on them.
the hobby shop isnt open till wednesday so when i come back i'm going to make sure those intake manifold bolts are torqued down really friggin good according to the torque specs (which i thought i already did with the intake manifold bolts) and see if it leaks when i add coolant again.
i know with gaskets, once you take the pressure off them and re-torque them they arent as good...anyone have input on that..because i loosened the intake manifold gasket to reinstall the bolts with sealant..
ALSO...this non egr aftermarket intake manifold i am using came with specific intake manifold gaskets BUT they were missing the square hole in the middle of them...so i cut a square as best as i could so that coolant would be able to travel through that channel as it would have with the stock intake manifold/cylinder head. i hope its not somehow breaking through that and leaking into the cyinders...
..and why is this thing ONLY happening on the drivers side???..
i'm pretty sure i got the gaskets positioned correctly. they matched the holes and stuff right (other than the square i had to cut through the middle of both intake manifold gaskets)

-MAYBE i just need to torque the head and intake manifold bolts real good...
-replace the already new intake gasket i installed...which would such cause it took forever to get ordered for this application
-take it all apart (ooooh no i dont want to)
so ????????????
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by blue72regency
ok. so i get pretty much everything bolted up on my oldsmobile. before i installed my spark plugs i notice......
antifreeze coming from the driver's side spark plug hole...mostly the center 2 cylinders...but also the outer 2 cylnders...
i drain the coolant out of the block and blow out the remaining antifreeze that was in the cylinders....
i did some checks to see what i could have done wrong. i tightened up the cylinder head. those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 85ft/lb tq. the book also had a small note saying that i should use "sealant" on the intake manifold bolts. so i took those out 1 by 1 and put them back in with sealant on them.
the hobby shop isnt open till wednesday so when i come back i'm going to make sure those intake manifold bolts are torqued down really friggin good according to the torque specs (which i thought i already did with the intake manifold bolts) and see if it leaks when i add coolant again.
i know with gaskets, once you take the pressure off them and re-torque them they arent as good...anyone have input on that..because i loosened the intake manifold gasket to reinstall the bolts with sealant..
ALSO...this non egr aftermarket intake manifold i am using came with specific intake manifold gaskets BUT they were missing the square hole in the middle of them...so i cut a square as best as i could so that coolant would be able to travel through that channel as it would have with the stock intake manifold/cylinder head. i hope its not somehow breaking through that and leaking into the cyinders...
..and why is this thing ONLY happening on the drivers side???..
i'm pretty sure i got the gaskets positioned correctly. they matched the holes and stuff right (other than the square i had to cut through the middle of both intake manifold gaskets)

-MAYBE i just need to torque the head and intake manifold bolts real good...
-replace the already new intake gasket i installed...which would such cause it took forever to get ordered for this application
-take it all apart (ooooh no i dont want to)
so ????????????
ugh, had to say this, but what about the block? there could be a crack inbettween the two cylinders. I'd not recommend doing other than torque spec's ect, but if you are getting coolant into a couple cylinders sounds to me like a crack in the block.
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM

I am not sure if this is coolant, I think this may be (gm) in general a cutout/actual "blankoff"plate that that could be closed or opened for the choke. I have seen these wtih a sliding square blank off plate that ws for such applications.

Not knowing the condition of the block/all engine, best i can do, and best of luck!