Carburetor Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Carburetor Conundrum

So I've been working on my car ('70 cutlass w/ '73 455 w/ '78 Rochester Q-jet) a little more (trying to get it running) and it seems my carb not only leaves a LAKE of fuel in my manifold but the throttle pump lever is cracking off aswell! Enter the Friend of a Friend. Says he has a 1970 455 High output engine (E heads) out of an RV missing the manifold in Fair/Good condition... wants $500. I'm guessing him saying High Output simply means its a marine motor? *Ideally* I would like to get a Carb that will get my current '73 engine running so that I can buy the '70 455, rebuild it, and just transfer the carburetor to the new engine. Any suggestions on a carb that could work? Interested in best bang for the buck. Also as far as Intake Manifold for the rebuild could/should I steal it off of the '73? OR My searching came up with good things about Edelbrock O4B, but my car already has HEI and I heard things won't fit.
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. First, the carb. Where exactly is the fuel coming from? Is it a line leak, or coming from the top of the carb? Will it even start?
Let us know.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM

It started a few times (right after I replaced all the fouled spark plugs and removed the carb for the first time). There was some grit in the bottom of the float bowl but I didn't have carb cleaner and at the time didn't quite grasp severity. Every time it started though it would race for like a minute, maybe less, until it would die. Won't start at all as of the last time we tried but that was when we discovereed the whole gasoline lake situation in the manifold. I THINK we concluded it was that the choke wasn't releasing(?) and it was just sucking down fuel. (I'll have to double check with my slightly more knowledgeable friend who was helping me.) He suggested my options being get a rebuild kit for it, or get a holley that will work for my engine.(He claims the only people who like rochesters are Oldsmobile guys, LOL!) Since the top plate is cracked (one of the little cast-in supports for throttle pump lever) I figured I would see what you guys thought about a new carb.

Last edited by Coltonis; January 29th, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Brain turned to jelly
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:18 AM

If you could post a pic or two of the damaged carburetor that would help. I am having trouble visualizing what part of the carburetor is broken. Your best bet would probably be to get a remanufactured Quadrajet from the parts store and turn in the one you have as a core.

BTW, tell your friend that he must be smoking some good stuff if he likes Holleys. They are POS'. Quadrajets are where it is at!
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Sure thing, I'll get some pics and post them this evening
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Past Administrator

You mentioned grit in the bottom of the bowl. If that is true, you may have a damaged needle and seat assembly from the bad fuel. This could be causing the puddle of fuel you described. I would recommend you look close at your fuel system when you correct your carburetor problem. You may have rust in the fuel tank, rusty fuel lines, bad filters (or none), or all at the same time. Danny Sarvis might be able to help you with your carburetor, he rebuilds them and as usual, I can't remember his username here on this site. Somebody help me out.

70Wcars (see below)

Last edited by Oldsguy; January 31st, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Grit or trash in the fuel bowl almost always gets lodged in the inlet seat under the needle and will cause flooding. If the top is taken off the carb and the float bowl cleaned, and the needle and seat are replaced...and a new fuel filter installed...and this same symptom occurs again...then the fuel lines or tank are rusted/corroded and need to be looked at. Good idea to rplace the float while the top is off the carb as well.

And to your buddy who runs Holleys...11.43 with a Q-jet in my '70......tighten up the converter and this car can cruise on the street...

Hope this helps

Danny
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Ok I got the pics posted, they're like uber-resolution, so beware!

This is my carb...
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carburetor/Carb1.jpg

This is the Stamp on the side...
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carb...rb_Numbers.JPG

This is a side shot... note the washer on the bottom screw (evidence its been dicked-with)
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carb.../Carb_Side.JPG

This is a shot from the back just in case there is something important that I don't know about back there...
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carb.../Carb_back.JPG

This is a crude dipiction of the cast lever support that is broke... The red line is where its cracked almost completely through; its held on by a tiny piece on the edge. ANY throttle mechanism movement would cause it to break off, I had to put an oversize Paper clippy on it to keep it in place when we tested it...
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carb...Carb_Broke.JPG

This is my Lakeside view, its been about 2 or 3 days with the carb off so most of the fuel puddle has either evaporated or trickled down but its still obvious the difference between sides (Note:Bottom of Pic=Front of car )...
http://members.***.net/boondock/Carburetor/manifold.JPG

I'm interested in anything you guys can tell me!
Thanks for all the help! There is an inline fuel filter looks relatively New-ish... I get what your saying about the needles and grit, should have tried to clean it out abit when I was investigating the first time..DOH!. But Truth be told I'm really leanin' towards getting something either new or, based on what you guys are saying,already rebuilt. I guess I'm not really feeling like messing with someone elses jimmy-rigging. I have seen on Carburetion.com has rebuilt '70 4bbl (it says 4MC so I guess its a rochester?) for ~$250 could I use this for the $95 core or would it need to be a '70 to qualify? Or is that even a resonable price? Or maybe mine is not THAT BAD!???( in such an event I shudder to think what Bad truly looks like) LOL you guys rule!

PS my friend had also said something about the fuel mixture screws having no tension... mean anything to you?
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
........ And to your buddy who runs Holleys ........
10.44 @ 126.5 miles per hour with a Q-Jet.

Norm
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:04 AM

In the Dec 07 JWO magazine (pg 25) under services offered, there
is a guy in Tacoma Wa who rebuilds '52 - '65 4bbl Rochesters. For
OCA members $200; and already rebuilt $225 plus $25 shipping.

Maybe if you wrote or called him he might do later years (?) or know
someone who does and or someone who does Q-jets....

Don Monroe, 8904 65th St West, Tacoma Wa 98467 (253)566-8488
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM

70WCars does carburetor rebuilds. He is the guy Oldsguy was thinking of.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM

Ok, Ok, so I will definately stick with a quadrajet! That leaves me with either rebuild kit for the one I got (ie doing things cheap) or getting one already rebuilt(ie. doing things right) I don't really see the point in sending my '78 to be rebuilt since it would cost nearly as much as a freshly rebuilt carb and won't '70-'73 q-jet give better performance than the '78 anyways?

88Coupe - LOL, you shouldn't show me pictures like that... I might start trying to get my car to do wheely's too!
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
........ won't '70-'73 q-jet give better performance than the '78 anyways? ........
No.

Norm
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Some 1975 carbs are 800 Cfm if you can get a hold of one.

I'm willing to trade a brand new 4bbl Qjet for my 80 Delta 88
for an excellent running 2 barrel intake and carb.

I drive 100 miles a day round trip in my Olds and gas just keeps going up in price.

It was 89 cents a gallon when I started driving, and 9 years later it's $3.30

What a *****y time to be born.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Gee my heart bleeds.

When I started driving it was only .17 (thats seventeen cents) a gallon.

Let me start a thread with a way to extend your gas mileage...
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Hi, do you all know what we here in Austria for one gallon regular fuel must pay?
just sit down; Euro €4.45 thats about $6.28 in us dollar, one Liter regular gas is around €1.17 and this is'nt the most expensiv if your car takes 98oktan it is around €1.30 liter x 3.8 = €4.94x1.41= $6.9654 a galon, wenn i have to gas up, 22 gallon is $138.16 on my BMW for 1 tank of gas, i must go to the bank and go for an credit! In some other European countries it is even up to €1.55/ $2.18 one yes 1 Liter, so you do have an better price, don't you? not an bad idia to start an thread with a way to exend your gas mileage! Berend