Can't find info on brake valve reposition with Headers

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2014, 01:30 PM

Can't find info on brake valve reposition with Headers

Hi all,
I know I've seen it here before, but after half an hour of searching, I can't find the thread(s). I'm installing Hooker headers in my '68 442, 4 speed. I've seen posts regarding moving/repositioning the brake valve from the inner side of the frame rail to the top of the frame rail when installing headers. Can someone who has done this mod post some insights and pics? Or anyone point me toward the thread(s)? Especially pictures? My headers look like they will fit ok with the valve body where it belongs, but right now I've got the block lifted slightly for the install.

And/Or, if anyone who has left the brake valve on the inner side with headers in place could post some pics showing clearances, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA!
Rich
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Engine Builder

I just bent everything up out of the way and left it at that. Definitely not enough clearance to leave it where it is. Years later I moved it up under the master cylinder when I got rid of the power booster.
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info, Smitty. I think a couple of others may done the same thing. I'm leery of possible damage or loss of braking due to vibration damage if I don't mount it appropriately. Not to mention that it won't look sano that way! LOL
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:20 AM
jfb

I carefully with both hands lifted the brake line no jerk or kinks either. I would also maybe with header wrap cover the parts to avoid heat soak but every start and season end check for crystalizing of it so it does not crack.
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Hi all,
I know I've seen it here before, but after half an hour of searching, I can't find the thread(s). I'm installing Hooker headers in my '68 442, 4 speed. I've seen posts regarding moving/repositioning the brake valve from the inner side of the frame rail to the top of the frame rail when installing headers. Can someone who has done this mod post some insights and pics? Or anyone point me toward the thread(s)? Especially pictures? My headers look like they will fit ok with the valve body where it belongs, but right now I've got the block lifted slightly for the install.

And/Or, if anyone who has left the brake valve on the inner side with headers in place could post some pics showing clearances, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA!
Rich
I'm guessing you mean the distribution block with the differential pressure switch?

Mine's still in the stock location. I have a 69 Cutlass with 350 and hooker headers. The 455 may move the headers more outboard and make clearance an issue. I can take a picture of mine and post it if you like?

Scott

Last edited by Hawghead; July 27th, 2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer what else ;(
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, different brands of headers fit differently - pipe routing is not the same for each manufacturer. What worked for someone with a different brand of headers may or may not work for you.

Second, if you have an A/T, I've had success with moving the dist block to the top of the frame rail without even disconnecting the lines. I used one of the mounting bolts into one of the pre-drilled frame holes where the outboard bracket for the clutch Z-bar would have gone. Obviously this doesn't work on M/T cars.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Joe beat me to it. Thats exactly how i did it on my car.

I have seen people install headers without moving the disrubution block. I wouldnt like to do it, but it seems to work ok. I think it would get way too warm being that close to the exhuast.
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM

My dist block has about 40 mm clearance to my headers, and I've had no problems.

No idea what manufacture the headers are, they're cheapey though.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Hi all,

TIA!
Rich

I moved it on my dads 1971 Cutlass Supreme SX, I will try to get some pictures.