blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I'm perplexed!!!
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM

also now that iv ran it with no tstat there should be definitely no air pockets right and i could try to put the tstat back in.
Maybe the water pump just is not pushing enough pressure
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
this is not my car lol

Originally Posted by liquidpower
after driving it and having it over heat more i flush the fluid and then try and see if there are air pockets in the system. You can see in the vid that the right bank and left bank of the engine have way deferent temps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwOSF5O0YEM
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFJenkVHdk (this one has the heater valve closed)
this is what the block was doing earlier in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zMcNcbhwzc
if i reved the engine it would make the temps drop but once i slowed down for a red light it would climb back up.
right now it has no tstat in it and it has not got over 180 if i sit at a red light long enough it will start to climb but once i start moving it cools down to 160 or a little lower. i checked the temp of both sides this morning and its even.

man this sucks

this definitely looks like a failed head gasket.
i was going to suggest you have a defective temp gauge, but from the video - you can tell the exhaust is pushing the coolant and causing overflow.
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM

if i had a bad head gasket the coolant in the block now should over flow out right?
iv have done a compression test on all cylinders and a coolant leek down and they both passed. i thinking I’m just going to pull my heads regardless.

Can I reuse the head bolts that are in the block now? Anything else I should know before doing thing. Should I use the turkey tray intake gasket or get a deferent one? Any idea about milling the heads so there flat like cost/ and or would I have to mill the block as well? How much are harden valve seats?
Should I do all of that or just worry about replacing the head gasket?
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
this is not my car lol

Originally Posted by liquidpower
if i had a bad head gasket the coolant in the block now should over flow out right?
iv have done a compression test on all cylinders and a coolant leek down and they both passed. i thinking I’m just going to pull my heads regardless.

Can I reuse the head bolts that are in the block now? Anything else I should know before doing thing. Should I use the turkey tray intake gasket or get a deferent one? Any idea about milling the heads so there flat like cost/ and or would I have to mill the block as well? How much are harden valve seats?
Should I do all of that or just worry about replacing the head gasket?
the gasket has failed, barely.

combustion chamber pressures are much higher than the cooling passage pressure. thats why no coolant ever enters the cylinder, but exhaust escapes the cylinder and into the coolant passages.

you can reuse head bolts (they are not torque to yield type bolts)
you should have the heads measured for warpage by a machine shop. (its easy and cheap to do)

you have many choices of repair dependent on your budget.

you can choose this time to overhaul the heads, (replace valves, machine seats and replace guides, & seals)
or just choose to replace the gaskets alone.

Last edited by scubastever; September 27th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.