Blowers?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Blowers?

What companies are making efficiently proven power making root style super chargers for Olds 455? Do any of these companies make them fuel injected?
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by onetogofast
What companies are making efficiently proven power making root style super chargers for Olds 455? Do any of these companies make them fuel injected?
The only positive displacement superchargers you'll find for an Olds motor are GMC-style 6-71 blowers. Typically a single plane intake (such as the Offenhauser 360 in either single or dual 4bbl form) are machined to accept a blower mounting plate. Blower Drive Service is one source.

If you're asking about a twin screw supercharger like a Whipple or Eaton, no luck. Anything you do will be custom, though I would imagine that you could get a Whipple designed for a big block Chevy and adapt it to a 455 Olds.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM

I think Hampton Blowers has an Olds setup with true blower manifolds...you'll need a large pile of green for their setups.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I think Hampton Blowers has an Olds setup with true blower manifolds...you'll need a large pile of green for their setups.
I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if that is the case. The only purpose-designed blower manifold for an Olds that I am aware of is the Sharp manifolds cast in the 1960s and as seen on the Hurst Hairy Olds.
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Shoveling Snow

It would look something like this.

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM

I was surprised as well and it probably explains the no name BB Olds blower manifold I saw for sale at Carlisle some time ago.
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Blowers

When it comes to manifold and plumbing I agree with the rest. you'll probably need to fab alot of stuff on your own.

For a screw type blower, when it comes to injection, some people use port injected manifolds, running sequential to enhance offboost throttle response and idle quality. But most times the injectors will be located on an injector block above the blower. That keeps the blower wet as in a carbureted version and prolongs its life and one could argue the mixing ability of the blower will enhance the evenness of the fuel/air mix.

Needless to say with that setup you don't need sequential, setting up an additional pickup would be a waste of time and money. In reality, you could probably get by with something as primitive and inexpensive as a Holley Commander 950 to run everything. Megasquirt might be an option too based on cost and not having a need for certain tuning tables and the lack of ability to run in sequential.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM

http://www.hamptonblowers.com/PRICE.HTML
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM

That is a cool website!

Everything you need to set up a blower on your hot rod.
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
torque machine

so im looking for a blower manifold for my 425 but dont wanna pay 1200 bucks thats half the price of the whole kit any ideas oh yea 671
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70_CS
so im looking for a blower manifold for my 425 but dont wanna pay 1200 bucks thats half the price of the whole kit any ideas oh yea 671
Your options are:

1) Spend the money
2) Find a used one
3) Make your own
4) Do without

As I mentioned above, some vendors start with a single plane intake like an Offy 360 (especially the dual quad ones), mill the carb flange flat, and install a thick aluminum plate to mount the blower.