Best Fitting Headers for BBO in a 65 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Best Fitting Headers for BBO in a 65 Cutlass

I've got a 65 Cutlass with a 455 and I am have the Doug Thorley PN-331 ceramic coated headers. They were beautiful...but I had to hammer on them to get clearance around the steering shaft. Every where else was a perfect fit (I also have to use one of the mini starters). But I hate looking at that spot I had to modify to get past the shaft. Anybody out there use a header that fit without having to bang a dent into them to fit correctly? I have a nice 3" exhaust system with the Pypes "X" pipe and Flowmasters, so I'm looking for a set with 3" collectors. Thanks for any information.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM

I know this doesn't help... but I haven't had a set yet that doesn't have a clearence issue some where. The 64-65 chassis are so narrow compared to later models... there is just not much room for a big block. Occasionally you'll read about someone you had a set they didn't have to bend, but I think there is such a "loose tolerence" in the build of each set a manufacturor produces, that a different box of the same part number would end up hitting somewhere.

I am in the same situation right now. I've got a brand new engine with brand new shiny ceramic coated headers sitting between the frame rails on my 65. I've got 2 or 3 spots I've got to deal with. Fortunately the entire front clip is off the car, so I hope that I have clearence to the various spots to carefully bend them enough to keep the headers off everything.

I was told these are the best fitting headers for a 65.... WHATEVER. Same as all the others I've had.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Every once in a while you get a set that fit, but most of the time you have to make them fit.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcdynamic88
I've got a 65 Cutlass with a 455 and I am have the Doug Thorley PN-331 ceramic coated headers. They were beautiful...but I had to hammer on them to get clearance around the steering shaft. Every where else was a perfect fit (I also have to use one of the mini starters). But I hate looking at that spot I had to modify to get past the shaft. Anybody out there use a header that fit without having to bang a dent into them to fit correctly? I have a nice 3" exhaust system with the Pypes "X" pipe and Flowmasters, so I'm looking for a set with 3" collectors. Thanks for any information.
Kooks headers (now sold by Dick Miller) fit the best. They ain't cheap.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

2" Kook's didn't fit well at all on my 67 442. They hit the crossmember on the RH (major interference), hit the firewall on both sides, block access to the LH motor mount bolt and make starter and dipstick tube installation almost impossible.
All at a cost of over $700. Sheesh.