Availability of the 455, Present & Future

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Texas Jim

Availability of the 455, Present & Future

Since it's been established that the 455 isn't made anymore, aftermarket or otherwise, I'm wondering if in the next twenty years or so, if the 455 will be as hard to find as the "early nail Head" motors are today. (I know that you guys are somewhat familiar w/ them)
This came to mind the other day when Joe P. set me straight/brought to my attention that the aftermarket companies don't produce the 455 engine/short block/block at all, something I really didn't know, and that I took f/ granted that someone did.
Here in Texas, in all the years I've been building engines, I've never run into any hardcore Olds guys. Chrysler and Ford, and ofcourse Chevy, but not Olds. Like I've said many times, I went w/ an Olds this time to have something different, and I'm not sorry, to say the least, that I did. There are just alot of things that I found that I like about the Olds 455, as I've stated in many replies on this site.
A post on our site here lately asked if sleeving a cylinder was worth it. My knowledge of sleeving, when done correctly, works well. I was around an extensive amount of sleeving f/ a number of years, not due to cylinders going bad, but f/ the purpose of extensive off-set boring of cylinders f/ more efficiency, which worked super well. It's a long story... which I'll tell if anyone would be interested. There may be a time in the future when sleeving will be a necessity due to the scarsity of 455 blocks.
I'm going to start a hunt f/ 455 engines in my area, either total cars (the way I like to go) w/ 455s, or just complete engines, and blocks and heads. I feel, as I usually do when looking f/ different type engines, that I'm better off getting total cars that are quite beat body-wise, but mechanically sound drive trane-wise. I'll start in the morning, 13 Feb 10, by getting an add in the Thrifty Nickel parts and cars sections f/ all years of cars/complete engines/blocks/heads that are f/sale and also hit the junk yards in the area to check availability and value around here. I still know some of the salvage guys in the area.
I'll keep the thread up to date on my search as I get info on what's available/cost. I really wouldn't mind spending alittle money on what's worth getting out there f/ good prices, like the deal on the one I have now.
Thanks f/ the info (Joe P.) and the other guys who sprung the idea in my head.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I am not going to worry about it. I think Joe & John own most of the 455 between the east and west coast. As long as they stick around and keep buying them up they will be available. Just don't **** either one off don't want to shoot yourself in the foot
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by citcapp
I am not going to worry about it. I think Joe & John own most of the 455 between the east and west coast. As long as they stick around and keep buying them up they will be available. Just don't **** either one off don't want to shoot yourself in the foot
I'd hate to see these things dry up. I've come to like the heck out of the 455 in the short time I've had it. And I'm guessing that the 455s are readily available in this area, as not many people are building them. Chevy, Ford and Chrysler respectively are happening here in this part of Texas.
In what part of what state are Joe and John in? Just checked it out, I think I'm in the middle of the two of them.

No Citcapp, I'm not worrying about it, I'd like to get my hands on what I can f/ a reasonable price.

Last edited by Texas Jim; February 12th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM

I think you are right brother
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:29 AM

There is a person on craigslist here in San Antonio who periodically advertizes a WTB for BBO. I think there is a growing (or at least steady) interest in the BBO. I'd like to have one, too. Shoot, I'd even like a 403.

sb
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm working on it, anyway...

Seriously, the last 455 block was cast in 1976. That's why I'm stockpiling them whenever I find one at a reasonable price.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM

My only worry is the rate at which wrecking yards are shutting down in the local area. The ones that are left only keep cars for a couple of weeks before crushing. I have to cruise them on a reqular bases to add to my stash of parts. Still lots of Olds junkers on Craigs list though
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM

There is one on cragslist close to me I called the guy up. He didn't answer, but his answering machine did it plays rap music I had to hang up. Maybe I'll try again later.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM

going going gon..............................

Jim I think your right, it is hard to choose an olds motor when it is twice as expensive to rebuild, hardr to find parts etc etc , it is truly an act of love, but with todays economics, you have to be really in love. Back in the day Oldsmobiles were also the motor of choice for fast boats and I have even heard of w-30 type motors for farm applications???? I was just reading in hot rod or car craft that world engines is making the 409 out of aluminum? I do not think they will become as rare as hens teeth in the next 20 years, try and find a 427, 396, 454 in a junk yard much harder.

I think shrinking junkyards are also a good point, why keep these engines around when there are no applications for them? but the days of the 150 dollar running junk yard big blocks is gooooonnnnneeee.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
...and I have even heard of w-30 type motors for farm applications????
Not sure about "W-30 type motors", but Olds did sell industrial 455s. Many were used for irrigation pumps. The later ones came with K heads.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I do not think they will become as rare as hens teeth in the next 20 years, try and find a 427, 396, 454 in a junk yard much harder.

I think shrinking junkyards are also a good point, why keep these engines around when there are no applications for them? but the days of the 150 dollar running junk yard big blocks is gooooonnnnneeee.

You can't find those engines in junk yard now.
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
You can't find those engines in junk yard now.

Actually you can. Just be prepared to shell out big bucks.

www.car-part.com

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

First one is the home page, second one is search results for 76 455 motor.

sb
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Texas Jim

You're right about the BBCs. The 454s are around, but the 396 and 427 is hard to find. On the other hand, the 455s are available around here. The salvage yards are still in pretty good shape in this area, but in time, I'm sure that will change. I'm thinking that in 20 or so years, the 455's availability will be similar to the Buick "nailhead" engines today.
Anyway, my search has started.
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM

455 aren't hard to come by in Indiana, last time I went junkyarding I found probably 10. No question they should be considered cores, just good for rebuilding. Running 455 can be found here, just gotta look.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM

the 455 i have torn down and am prepping for build i got for the fantastic price of FFREEEEEEE a cool old guy here in town stopped me one day driving a 67 cad conv to ask me about my sbo 72 delta conv. shot the sh*t with hin for a good hour or so and led me to his house where he GAVE me a 455 on pallet that had sat there for several years under his carport. he told me that "it was good to see there were still "kids" out there that take an interest in the good cars instead of putting rims and radios in an $800 import p.o.s"

this countrys running out of decent people faster than BBO's.

i keep an eye on the craigslist here in morthwest washington and quite a few 455's are selling. or being offered anyway. an average price for complete 455/th400 running but needing built is about 700-900 bucks. that a decent price? i dont think there are many people here looking for them as they are advertised for lengthy time but they are around. LOTS of marine 455's on the craigslist. but i live in the boating capital of the country.....
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM

Here in Chi., there's a guy that has an ad on C.L.Says he has 10 455s, $500 each, less if you buy more. I think he's overpriced, but who am I to say.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM

Well, I went thru my "Olds stockpiling phase" about 15 years ago. I was into racing so I "worried" about Olds 425/455's engines getting scarce. I have a car hauler with a 12 ton winch so I started dragging old 88/98's out of fields and off hills around Ohio/Pa/W.Va. My Chevy Buddies use to laugh when every couple weekends I had another Olds on my truck. I told them could buy Chevy stuff at K-mart but they quit making my engines along time ago. At first I would pull the engines & trans and scrap the cars. I broke even or made a couple bucks doing that. Then the trouble started, some of the cars were in fair shape and I started taking a "liking" to them. I started fixing a "few" up, I call them my "money-pits." I kind of got out of racing and more into the big cars. I built a couple more buildings and sold a lot of parts, cars and engines for about 7 years. My interest changed when I bought a house about 5 miles away from my buildings. Now I very seldom even mess with them. I have guys that want parts but one only has so much time and energy. It's a lot of hassle digging out a part/engine that someone wants for little or next to nothing for. So, basicly I'm saying if your into Olds have an extra engine but don't get to carried away. The cost/hassle of storing/moving/being tied to a bunch of Olds engines for 20 years probably won't payoff. As always this is just my opinion. I can be wrong and when it comes to Olds one probably is wrong and someone will tell them. Ken
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:36 AM

I scoop up any 68-72 455 that I can.I have had at least 50 of them in the last decade,& I still have a bunch.I don't mess with the 73-77 455's that much,except that a lot of them have cranks drilled for a pilot bearing,so I will take those,& sell the rest.I have access to a fairly large yard,that has cars dating back to the 50's.I have plucked every 455 out of there one by one,& any 455 that comes up for sale locally.I've had my fair share of 400's & 425's as well. I don't see an aftermarket 455 block coming to market any time soon.The market is just not there,& people would not want to pay the $4,000.00-$5,000.00 price range for a new block.That is the reality of it,as there will be a lot of initial cost to get one made,& nobody seems interested in doing so.Every time one more 455 gets machined,or broke & junked,there's one less available.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by delta881972

This countrys running out of decent people faster than BBO's.
I like this one.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM

Ten years ago in Austin, Tx. you could attend the Austin Police Dept abandon vehicle auctions (held once a week) and be on average one or two 70ish 88/98/Toros 455 cars being sold. 100-200 dollar price range. Now it's rare to find one.

As recently as 5 years ago I was buying 10 or so 68-72 Cutlass cars per year via the APD auctions for an average price of less than $200.00 each. Very rare to see them now at pound sales.

Henry