Any chance of getting this motor running?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2020, 04:54 PM

Any chance of getting this motor running?

the "better" side

lots of rust....

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but is there any chance at all to save this motor?
It's from the 442 i posted a month ago, there hasnt been any actual water in the block, just sitting in a humid illinois shed for 40 years,
The motor is stuck and ive been dumping ATF in the cylinders to try and free the pistons before i have to take the heads off to see the real damage.
Old February 20th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Yes , there is a chance that it can be saved . With a complete overhaul .
A lot will depend on how badly the cylinders are rusted .

Mix some acetone ( lacquer thinner ) with the ATF . It will make it penetrate the rust quicker .
Patience is essential .
Good luck !

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 20th, 2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 20th, 2020, 05:42 PM

just my opinion its D O A If its frozen like you say, just bite the bullet and take it all apart and redo the whole thing.
Old February 20th, 2020, 07:24 PM

Soak it for a week in a drum of Evap-O-Rust and just maybe you'd have a clean outer engine. You will hafta take it apart to see what it looks like inside though. Even if the cylinder walls aren't rusted, you could still have corroded pistons, rusted camshaft, seized lifters, or any number of other evils lurking inside that ball of corrosion. If you try to start it, you could do real damage to some parts that might have otherwise been salvageable.
Old February 20th, 2020, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Like the others stated above, you will not know until after some exploratory surgery is performed. It needs to come out of the car and taken apart.
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:31 AM
72 Cutlass Ponca City OK

I have gotten stuck engines that looked worse than this loosened up and running, but those were for Derby cars, and someone who absolutely wanted to hear an old tractor run. If you have anything other than flash rust, you will do more damage than good. Perhaps all this needs is to come apart, and clean things up before putting it back together. If you try to run it, you will likely be successful, but damage bores and the crank to where they can't be saved, and turn a $200 rings and re-gasket project into a full rebuild or a one way trip to the iron pile.
Old February 21st, 2020, 08:11 AM

Every body here has given options on what you should do and they all are correct. If you want to save this engine ultimately it has to come a apart. Question you have to ask your self is how much do you want to spend. If you can get it freed up it will be easier to take apart. As far as derusting the parts you can do the Evapo-rust method but that stuff is not cheap. What I use to clean parts that are rusted is Snow Bowl toilet bowl cleaner its cheap, it works fast and lasts a long while. All you need to do is get your self a plastic tray from Walmart, put the parts in emerse them and let them soak over night they will be clean. Wash of and let dry, it will flash over with rust because metal does not have any protection so what I do is then put in evaporust to take off that and then you got a couple of days to spray with WD-40 or what ever to protect them. If you would do the Snow Bowl method WEAR rubber gloves and work outside, Snow Bowl contains HydroCloric Acid. Good Luck Guy