Aftermarket Carb for a 1962 Sky Rocket 394?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Rocketeer

I should be able to take care of fabricating the flat metal brackets, but when it comes to making the air cleaner adapter I'd need to get help from my neighbor who has a lathe. I'll send you a PM.
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:07 AM

carb lL bracket

The L shape bracket is the key,
can you post the measurements for this?
thank you great post
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM

I have bought the edelbrock 1406 and instalked it. The engine idles beautiful, like it never has.

I have nought several metal brackets to adapt the bell crank and the linkages. I am not sure if there is anyway you,d be able to share with us the dimensions of the link that goes from the bell crank to the edelbrock throttle linkage (from bolt to bolt) i really appreciate all the information so far. It has been very helpful
Old July 9th, 2021, 08:54 PM

Thanks for Don Monroe number called him now keeping my fingers crossed

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Rebuilt 4GC are not that hard to find. Worst to worst, send it to Sparky's Carb Service as he's doing 4GC now, or contact Don Monroe in Washington state who generally has some quality 4GC rebuilds on his shelf. Last contact info I had for him Don Monroe in Tacoma WA 253-566-8488 evenings.

Justintiime had Sparky do a ratty 4GC for his 65 Starfire that turned out really well. Here's the thread with pics https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...starfires.html

I'd go that route before I'd go thru the aggravation of trying to set up Slim Jim TV linkage for an Edelbrock. Put it this way- you think the carb problems are bad, misadjusted TV linkage can end up as a trans rebuild, which will make dealing with a 4GC look like a Sunday school picnic.
Old August 1st, 2023, 10:07 PM

1962 Oldsmobile Starfire with edelbrock 1405 carburetor

Originally Posted by bob p
Thanks everyone for your input.

If I understand this correctly, then the news is good -- a 1406 Edelbrock *is* a direct bolt-on fit for the stock 394 intake manifold.

This beings up some more questions:
I bought a 1962 StarFire Oldsmobile and it has a Edelbrock carburetor 1405 on it but the kickdown linkage has been disconnected so I just discovered that today luckily I have it in original carburetor available so I might just put it back on or figure out how to just hook up that linkage so experiencing the same thing here I’ll let you know how it goes
1. It seems that the problem is going to be adapting the linkages. Would I be correct in understanding that the throttle linkage is going to be straightfoward / isn't going to be a problem? How about the connection for the automatic transmission kickdown linkage?

2. This is my first 4-bbl rebuild, so I'm having trouble visualizing everything without the hardware in hand. I'd really appreciate hearing more about what sort of problem you ran into with the lockdown linkage and how you solved it. I guess this is one of those situations where a picture is worth 1000 words.

3. Are you happy with the results from fitting the 1406? If you had to do it all over again, would you select the same carb or something else? As far as I can tell from reading data sheets it seems to be appropriately sized for the task, but so far I've only read specs, and I haven't heard from anyone who has real-world experience with the actual setup. Real world experience always trumps reading about the subject, so I value your opinion.

thanks again for your help.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 02:48 AM

BobP hasn't signed in since 2017. If you have a question about his Oldsmobile, or the way he set it up I suggest starting a new thread.

FWIW, I doubt Bob was able to get the aftermarket carburetor to work with his Oldsmobile. He mentioned that his manual throttle valve wasn't hooked up. This would be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I had a 64 Oldsmobile 98 that I couldn't get the throttle valve to work with an aftermarket carburetor.