Adding dual exhaust on 1970 98 LS

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2022, 01:07 AM

Adding dual exhaust on 1970 98 LS

I want to add dual exhaust to my '70 98. I know they didn't come from the factory with dual exhaust but I saw Fusick has full size car dual exhaust manifolds. I'm assuming these were designed for either a Delta 88 police car or the W33 option. Is there a way to change just the LH and leave the RH original? Can the cross over pipe on it be capped off like on the SBO? Does the valve at the base of the LH single exhaust manifold need to be transferred to the replacement dual exhaust manifold? Thank you.
Old May 28th, 2022, 04:32 AM

Duals was an option on the 70 98. You only need the driver's side manifold from Thornton, probably cheaper than Fusick... the rt side remains and gets capped on the crossover port. Don't really need the heat riser butterfly in the left manifold...
Old May 28th, 2022, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Duals was an option on the 70 98.
Actually, it was not in the 1970 model year, but it was in prior years. As we've discussed in the past, any dual exhaust conversion on the 1965-70 full size cars MUST use the correct factory style LH exhaust manifold, which is fortunately reproduced. All the repro houses sell this, so shop for the best price. You don't need the aftermarket RH side manifold, just cap off the crossover port, which is what the factory did. Note that the repro cap sold for the small block manifolds will NOT fit the full size manifold - the port is larger in diameter. I just welded one up from a section of the old crossover pipe.

Old May 28th, 2022, 08:46 AM

Look under the car and see if you have a double hump trans crossmember. You need the space for the second pipe. Other wise you'll have one pipe hanging lower than the other. You can look for a Delta crossmember from a car that had duals or go aftermarket.
You find an increase in fuel economy if you rejet after ward.
Old May 28th, 2022, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by android 211
Look under the car and see if you have a double hump trans crossmember.
Every single Oldsmobile built until 1975 has a double hump crossmember.
Old May 29th, 2022, 05:44 AM
RWK

So if I read this right, my 72 D88 will allow dual exhaust without the manifold? I do have the dual hump cross member,455, single exhaust, muffler is shot, damaged it when removing for floor repair above it.
Plan to replace with duals.
Old May 29th, 2022, 05:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RWK
So if I read this right, my 72 D88 will allow dual exhaust without the manifold? I do have the dual hump cross member,455, single exhaust, muffler is shot, damaged it when removing for floor repair above it.
Plan to replace with duals.
The 1971-76 cars are completely different from the 1965-70 cars being discussed in this thread.
Old May 29th, 2022, 06:10 PM

It has the double hump, but I have been unable to locate the strap that mounts across it to hold the two pipes to it.
Old May 29th, 2022, 10:54 PM

Depending on how correctly you want to reproduce the factory solution, you may need to fabricate or acquire the special “half-moon” horizontal shifter rod which transmits motion from your column shifter to the TH-400.

I believe it’s documented somewhere here on CO. If I recall someone made some pretty decent drawings which would allow you to make one. I don’t have the fabrication skills, but it’s welded and bent steel rod, not super exotic weirdly shaped stuff.

The difference is that single exhaust cars used a straight shifter rod, and the dual exhaust cars used a semi-circular horizontal rod to clear the LH pipe and connect to the transmission. The “half moon” rotates over the pipe for gear selection. The straight shifter rod would have to go right through the LH exhaust pipe which just ain’t gonna work.

If you want to source factory parts, you’re now looking for a dual exhaust 65-70 big car. That’s a fairly rare animal. Up to ‘67 that would be the “Starfire” engine option.

After 67, I don’t know how they marketed the dual exhaust option, but it would have had to include these fairly rare shifter parts to make it work mechanically.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Old May 29th, 2022, 11:59 PM

Dual exhaust cars have a different shifter linkage?
Old May 30th, 2022, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by smparr
Dual exhaust cars have a different shifter linkage?
Actually, they do. The equalizer bar that runs from the frame to the trans has an offset in it to clear the LH exhaust pipe. I did not have one of those when I put duals on my 67 D88 and it cleared, but the pipes I have are not factory, so all bets are off.

Old May 30th, 2022, 06:29 AM

The back drive linkage is a different shape to accommodate the drivers side exhaust. Here's a picture of one that was on ebay a while back.

Old May 30th, 2022, 11:39 AM

That’s exactly the half-moon I was referring to. Thanks for posting the diagram and pictures.

At least now he knows what he’s looking for to acquire or fabricate.

Chris
Old May 30th, 2022, 05:43 PM

I did not realize that, there is no mention of it in the parts list for 1970.
Old May 31st, 2022, 06:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I did not realize that, there is no mention of it in the parts list for 1970.
You are correct, the parts book shows 403090 for all 1969-70 column shift AT full size applications, despite the fact that the RPO L32 390 HP 455 with dual exhaust was an available option in the D88 line those years. Maybe the 69-70 equalizer was redesigned to clear? Can you shoot a photo of yours?
Old May 31st, 2022, 12:39 PM

I'll try this afternoon before I go to work.
Old May 31st, 2022, 03:08 PM

Here's a picture facing toward the front:
Old May 31st, 2022, 03:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a picture facing toward the front:
Well there ya go. The 69-70 cars came with the equalizer already compatible with single or dual exhaust. You're good to go.
Old May 31st, 2022, 03:46 PM

Awesome, thank you for the help. Now just have to save money and hope the bolts come out on the manifold.🤞
Old June 3rd, 2022, 03:08 AM

Does anyone know if anybody makes replacement hangers for the W33 exhaust? It shows one across the transmission cross member that holds both pipes but I can't find a part number for it. The other two are identical to the right, rear muffler support (407232) and tail pipe support (394400).
Old June 3rd, 2022, 05:29 AM

Does anyone know if anybody makes replacement hangers for the W33 exhaust? It shows one across the transmission cross member that holds both pipes but I can't find a part number for it. The other two are identical to the right, rear muffler support (407232) and tail pipe support (394400).
It's not needed. I have run duals without that cross tie hanger for the last 35 years. Never had a problem. But if you want to be 100% original, you'd probably have to fabricate something.
Old June 3rd, 2022, 05:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

No one makes new ones. I had to adapt generic hanger parts to run the duals on my 67 D88.
Old September 12th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Has anyone ever been lucky enough to get the exhaust manifolds off without breaking the bolts? She's developed a leak at the back of the right exhaust manifold. Of course, the one I didn't need to take off to add duals. The bolt lock is completely broken out and it's ticking like valve noise through it. I want to do the work myself but I'm afraid of snapping bolts off in the block and having to drill them out which could require removing the engine. It's never been out of the car.
Old September 12th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can't say that I've ever broken any exhaust manifold bolts on an Olds. Note that except for the center bolt, all the exhaust bolts are in holes that are open at both ends. You can spray penetrating oil in the end opposite the head and let it work for a while before removing.
Old September 12th, 2022, 11:51 AM

It's well above my automotive pay grade, but Joe's right on target to start with penetrating oil, a few days of patience and if that doesn't work, I believe the traditional solution is fall back to torch heat.

Personally, I'd farm out torch use to a professional. I haven't the skill to be the least bit confident of not blowing up the car.
Old September 12th, 2022, 01:12 PM

Joe, what do you mean all the way through? Are the openings under the valve cover or maybe the spark plug holes?
Old September 12th, 2022, 02:21 PM

See picture below. The bolt goes through the head and is exposed. The exhaust bolt on the right rear (passenger) side has exactly the same configuration.

Old September 12th, 2022, 07:41 PM

Thank you, I didn't realize they were right there on the other side.
Old September 12th, 2022, 11:13 PM

I’d start spraying penetrating oil weeks before attempting this project. A torch to apply heat is also a good idea. A little prep work now can save major headaches later.
Old September 13th, 2022, 05:25 AM

I had to do this job recently on the drivers side. I did the penetrating oil and six pointed socket. Try to use a sharp yank or rap with a hammer on a breaker bar to get it moving. In my case the center one was stuck firm. So I bought a pneumatic hammer set (typically used for body work). I used the long hammer from underneath the car hitting the bolt head as straight on as possible. Between that and penetrating oil I was able to get the bolt out. I did not use heat (it's very hard to heat up cast iron significantly and you want to heat the head not the bolt).

Amazon Amazon
Old September 13th, 2022, 05:27 AM

Prep work as mentioned above. After the soak period, I like to run the car for a few minutes to get everything hot, then break the bolts loose, you can come back to it after things cool down and do the removal. Never had much, if any difficulty doing it this way, especially on an Olds.

​​​​​…..
Old September 14th, 2022, 03:51 AM

I just got a closer look at the bolt lock, turns out the rear most bolt head snapped off and is still attached to the dangling lock. Guess I will be having that drilled out.
Old September 14th, 2022, 04:13 AM

I just got a closer look at the bolt lock, turns out the rear most bolt head snapped off and is still attached to the dangling lock. Guess I will be having that drilled out.
When the manifold comes off there should be, may be, enough of the stud sticking out to heat and try to turn out with a small pipe wrench or weld a nut on the stud and turn out.
Old September 19th, 2022, 07:13 PM

Which Remflex gasket is for the B/C body S Manifold? Does it have a center split or a solid hole? 11-001 has a split center and 11-002 has an open hole.
Old September 19th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Which Remflex gasket is for the B/C body S Manifold? Does it have a center split or a solid hole? 11-001 has a split center and 11-002 has an open hole.
It really doesn't matter. The manifolds have the open hole, but that little center divider will burn away in no time.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quick question, are the pipe flange springs and bolts the same on the B/C as the A body? I can't find any specifics and even the part catalog isn't very helpful for 1970. I was able to get repro flanges and a manifold from Thornton and Fusick just no flange bolt/springs. Also, is there supposed to be a manifold to head gasket? It doesn't seem like there is one.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 01:48 PM

The factory didn't use an exhaust manifold gasket. You can get good Fel Pro ones though (MS90078).
Old September 23rd, 2022, 03:30 PM

Can you put it back like it was without the gasket? Are they prone to leak?
Old September 23rd, 2022, 03:41 PM

If the mating surfaces are clean and the manifold isn't warped it shouldn't be prone to leaking. That's the way they came from the factory. But some people prefer to add a gasket. Whatever your more comfortable with.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:12 PM

Okay, cool. What about the spring bolts? Are they the same as a A body 455 exhaust?

Quick Reply: Adding dual exhaust on 1970 98 LS