71 442 - PYPES plus DYNOMAX?

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM

71 442 - PYPES plus DYNOMAX?

Has anyone installed a PYPES 2.5" NON-X system substituting DYNOMAX mufflers on a 70-72 442? What length case did you use, and how was the overall fit? Searching the forums I've seen mention of 14" and 20" but not what pipes were used with them. I'll be removing headers and using original W/Z manifolds and PYPES downpipes with probably #SGA30 pipe kit. PYPES lists 14" or 18" mufflers , but not clear on which to use. I want to get the right parts the first time because I can't work where I store the car, so I'll be outside in the dirt, unprotected from the weather or whatever/whoever. Any experience anyone has had with this setup would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by frankr442
Has anyone installed a PYPES 2.5" NON-X system substituting DYNOMAX mufflers on a 70-72 442? What length case did you use, and how was the overall fit? Searching the forums I've seen mention of 14" and 20" but not what pipes were used with them. I'll be removing headers and using original W/Z manifolds and PYPES downpipes with probably #SGA30 pipe kit. PYPES lists 14" or 18" mufflers , but not clear on which to use. I want to get the right parts the first time because I can't work where I store the car, so I'll be outside in the dirt, unprotected from the weather or whatever/whoever. Any experience anyone has had with this setup would be much appreciated. Thanks
I ran full length headers on my '72, and purchased the PYPES 3" X-Pipe exhaust kit with the 18" mufflers. I installed the kit myself in my driveway and had to cut a few peices to run it correctly. Once it was done it sounded nice but still wasn't right. So I took the car to an exhaust shop and they chopped it up some more and moved the mufflers forward about 6" and welded the whole thing.

My recommendation would be to just take the car to an exhaust shop and let them fab up an exhaust for you for much cheaper and just tell them what mufflers you want.
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM

71 442 PYPES plus DYNOMAX

Just recieved the Pypes 2.5" non-X system last week. I went with the 20" Dynomax mufflers #17749. I hope I can get 2.5" to fit without having to go to an exhaust shop because no one has worked on this car but me since 1987. I'm afraid to let anyone else put a wrench to it! 3" must be tough to work with, I was even looking for 2.25". If weather is good this weekend I plan to start this project. I have a feeling that my neatly bent tranny lines are in danger. When I'm finished I'll post the good and bad in case anyone else is planning a similar job. Thanks.
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM

The Torque Tech system fit my 442 like a glove. The trumpets fit the rear bumper perfectly.

Easiest exhaust install I have ever had.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM

The only tough part about the 3" exhaust is where it runs over the rear axle, its pretty tricky to make it fit without touching the frame or a spring or the axle itself.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM

Started the job Saturday PM. Didn't want to do it outside so I cleaned the out the old chicken coop (I'm serious) best I could and backed it in so I could open the hood. Low ceiling and just enough room to wallk around the car (sideways on the right side). Jacked it up just high enough that the rear wheels turn, must pad the rafter so I dont scratch the open trunk lid. By Sunday late afternoon I had removed everything from the headers back and the RH header. Slow and awkward using a hacksaw and sometimes just the bare blade wrapped with duct tape. No electricity. Tried to hang a tailpipe, but I couldn't get it over the axle tube. I can't raise the car much higher, so I'll disconnect the shock and remove the spring, and maybe tire. That shoud give me enough wiggle room. Thats what I had to do on my 85 Hurst/Olds clone. By this time it's getting too dark really see (no lights), so I called it a day.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Exhaust system is on the car. Can't say I'm finished, as I still can't get the RH tailpipe to line up with the bumper cutout. Then I'll deal with the trumpets. Didn't notice it till I took a tape measure to it, but there's a one inch difference to the start of the first bend between the left and right. May be part of the problem. RH muffler is VERY close to the pinion flange, and you can only adjust it so much due to the hanger and tailpipe. I ended up carefully denting the muffler for clearance. It took me two full days to make the LH downpipe fit. They blow it out to 2.5" just above the control arm bracket. WHY? I had to heat and hammer it 3 or 4 times to get it to clear the bracket and starter heat shield. Ordered Jegs band clamps but didn't care for the quality. Used Walker #33226 clamps, they seem much better. The tailpipe hangers that came in the Pypes kit looks like the non-cutout type. They sell the trumpets, why dont they sell the hangers? Maybe I missed them. The dynomax mufflers sound good, nice low rumble at idle and not too loud cruising. I havn't beat on it yet because while I had the exhaust out of the way, I replaced the pinion seal and pulled down the crossmember to remove the rear extension housing and change the o-ring on the tailshaft. Want to be sure everybody in the driveline sounds happy before I put any torque to it. The mufflers hang a little lower than I'd like, but I can live with it. Until I get a chance to realign the RH side, the jury is still out.