65 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:35 PM

65 Delta 88

Hello from British Columbia,
Have just signed up and am hoping for some help. There seems to be a good deal of knowledge here. I have recently had to replace my 2 bbl carb because of a crack...twice. Fuel is being pushed thru the vent tube from the float bowl into the carb thereby flooding the engine. This occurred on 2 replacements as well as the original that I put back on when I got fed up.
As well, this happened with the original fuel pump and the new one that replaced the leaking original. I have not been able to find anyone who has heard of this problem. Is there a reason for this happening.
I am also in need of a shop manual, timing, dwell, and plug gap specs if anyone can help. I have not been able to find a manual anywhere.
Thanks
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:09 AM

It seems to me its float trouble rather than a crack in the carb.....the needle and seat controls the amount of gas that goes into the carb. The needle hangs from the float. Dirt in the carb will cause flooding if it gets under the needle as well as a mis-adjusted float level or a bad float. The carb fills with so much fuel it has no place to go but out of the vent.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have to agree that I've never heard of cracking in the Rochester 2bbl carbs. The problem is almost always either dirt holding the needle open or a bad float. Note that the additives in gasoline today will attack the old closed cell plastic floats, leading to flooding. If you don't have a brass float, get one.

The factory service manuals are available used on ebay. Search for Oldsmobile service manual 1965.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM

The crack was the reason I had to replace it. The flooding problem was later and goes as follows:
-replace original with re-man'd carb - runs good for about a week then flooding begins. (also notice leaking fuel pump) Took top off carb to check float and all seems to be working normal (plastic float, no fuel in float).
-replace fuel pump, carb floods
-replace with second re-man'd carb....flooding continues.(brass float, no fuel in float)
get rebuild kit and rebuild second new carb completely. (thankfully on the parts shop's dime)...still more flooding.
Now I'm losing my mind. (short pause to throw some tools.
Go back to parts shop to get orig carb and install...flooding, what a surprise.
Parts guys, owner/mechanic friend at shop where I'm doing the work, and anyone we can think of to call has no idea why this is happening. I have never even heard of this happening before...ever. Float action is normal and free and everything LOOKING and MOVING seemingly as it should. Am I missing something here and not just going nuts?
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by deckape
Am I missing something here and not just going nuts?
I'd put a tee with a fuel pressure gauge just before the carb inlet and verify 5-7 psi.
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

What is the condition of your fuel? If it has small particles in it that arent' being filtered (you are using a filter, right?) then that might be the commonality which is causing ALL three carbs to flood. Other than that, I agree with Joe, check your fuel pressure.

BTW, welcome to our site!

edit: Are you really a deckape? USN or Merchant Marine? I retired from the Navy in '95.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:09 AM

Will try the pressure gauge. Don't know what I was thinking there to not try it.
Fuel is good. Car has been a daily driver since I got it last September and only Chevron gas. Dad had a problem with old tank so installed another tank about 5 years ago. He had a problem with crud in 1st one so put filter in front of pump also, and it has never been removed.
One of my old Ch. Engineers always tried to lure me to work in the Eng room. Said I didn't want to be a dimwitted deckape I work for BC Ferries. Have worked about 17 different ships on 7 different routes in last 20 yrs. Also part of trials and training crew for 3 newbuilds and delivery of Northern Adventure (ex-Sonia) from Greece last Nov. Sister-in -law as Canadian Navy for a few yrs(P.O. Communications)
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Past Administrator

I was in aviation and always on carriers, we had two versions of the deckape, the one you described and then the aviation types that carried the chains for aircraft tiedown, we called them knuckledraggers..........behind their backs only!
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM

Seems I fit both descriptions. 1st one on southern ships and second on the northern routes. Have to chain down all the tractor-trailers. Chains and cinches get pretty heavy after about 3 or 4 hours straight. Have never had a chance to go see one of your carriers that calls at Victoria every year for social call and tours. Sure would like to though.
I solved the overflow problem. Went to Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 with fuel meter. Had to dial it down to 3 lb though. Certainly launches now!...not that it was bad before. Grandad would be happy. He bought the car new and had a firm belief in speed...when appropriate.(usually when granny was sleeping. He got an elbow in the ribs otherwise.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Past Administrator

So a fuel pressure problem. Great to know you corrected it!

Yeah, a carrier is a great experience, for a while anyways!
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I had a similar problem in my 1961 Suburban. I went nuts taking that carb apart three or four times in one week. It would flood & stall out at stop lights & sometimes I could stop & turn the engine off (manual fuel pump, not electric) and fuel would keep spilling out. Turns out I had to vent my gas cap. Pressure was building so high in the tank that it was forcing fuel through(South Georgia heat was partially to blame). That's why it would stop for a while every time I took the carb apart, it was allowing it to vent. I never felt so relieved yet stupid as when I took care of that one.