63 Dynamic Holiday 394 Motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:02 PM

63 Dynamic Holiday 394 Motor mount question

Hey guys. I've had my car for about 4 years and am going on my 4th set of motor/trans mounts for my 63 Dynamic 88 Holiday. This is a daily driver car, that RARELY sees the throttle on the floor unless I gotta get out of the way of something. It is for the most part babied, but the roads can get kind of rough with lower profile tires. Are there any companies that sell Polyeurthane motor mounts and engine mounts for it? Or short of using a chain on the drivers side do you have any suggestions to stop ripping the passenger side rubber mount??
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:22 PM

I would think your supplier of mounts to be of suspect. Are these rebuilt or old NOS parts. Are you using mounts for a 63 and not a 54-56? there is a difference I believe in the front mount height, may be the rear also, can't remember.

On my 55 I have at least 30 thousand miles on a set of new mounts and they are doing just fine. The only thing I can imagine causing mounts to fail would be poor material in a rebuilt mount or the mounts are misaligned putting the engine/ transmission in a bind. Seems we are missing something here....Tedd
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

I don't see them wearing out if your babying it. You might install a torque rod instead of a chain.
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Agree there is something amiss here. My 62 has the factory mounts and 52 years later they are still doing the job for which they were intended.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

First, I would guess that your chances of finding polyurethane mounts for this car fall somewhere between slim and none. Second, as others have noted, your mounts should last years if not decades. Where are you getting replacement mounts? Are these new-build or revulcanized originals? Is there anything else unusual about the car (prior frame damage, unusual vibration, etc) that might contribute to premature mount failure? Is there any oil leakage onto the rubber? This can cause the rubber to deteriorate. Finally, what exactly causes you to replace the mounts? Do they separate, or is it just cracks in the rubber? Which mount or mounts are you replacing? Having all three go bad at the same time is, frankly, impossible.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM

1961 - 1964 OLDS full size Motor Mounts

The reproes that are out there are all oversees made -- and we know that they are inferior, for sure.....

I have some N.O.S. -- very American made --- 1961 - 1964 Motor Mounts.

The three pack package is the the 2215 Front (Bar) Mount and
the 2216 and 2217 bell housing mounts....
They fit 1961 - 1964 -- All -- Only --....

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York....
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM

Sorry guys, just getting back to checking on my post (had a busy car show weekend ). I bought the mount from Fusick - I've had good luck with them in the past - great service too. Anyway, it is the passenger side mount that keeps failing (seperating), so badly that the exhaust manifold ends up laying over on the frame. I only discover it when I hear a really high pitched squeak coming from the passenger side. There is no clunking of the trans or any other vibration in the drivetrain. If it wasn't for the squeak, I wouldn't have even looked! As far as I can tell the driver's side is ok, and obviously can't see the front mount.

As for anything that might be causing it - the car has 18" wheels with 45 series tires on the front with 20's on the rear and has been lowered one coil all the way around and Doetsch shocks. Needless to say it doesn't drive quite as soft as it did from the factory. The bumpstops are still in place and they have made contact on major bumps. I'm sure it has something to do with it - was just hoping there might be something out there a little stronger.
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1PDQ55
Sorry guys, just getting back to checking on my post (had a busy car show weekend ). I bought the mount from Fusick - I've had good luck with them in the past - great service too. Anyway, it is the passenger side mount that keeps failing (seperating), so badly that the exhaust manifold ends up laying over on the frame. I only discover it when I hear a really high pitched squeak coming from the passenger side. There is no clunking of the trans or any other vibration in the drivetrain. If it wasn't for the squeak, I wouldn't have even looked! As far as I can tell the driver's side is ok, and obviously can't see the front mount.

As for anything that might be causing it - the car has 18" wheels with 45 series tires on the front with 20's on the rear and has been lowered one coil all the way around and Doetsch shocks. Needless to say it doesn't drive quite as soft as it did from the factory. The bumpstops are still in place and they have made contact on major bumps. I'm sure it has something to do with it - was just hoping there might be something out there a little stronger.
Frankly, unless the lowered car is causing the trans to hit something when you drive, I seriously doubt that is your problem. Even more strange is that the passenger side mount is in compression, so that's usually the last one to fail - unless you're doing a lot of burnouts in reverse!

I'd look towards something being bent or out of line, causing a preload on the rubber mount.