58 Olds 371 carby

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2020, 03:41 PM

58 Olds 371 carby

Yea Gidday .... Newbie from NZ
first up ...is the 371 considered to be a big block or small block ?
Was left alone in me shed without adult supervision 🥴🥴
thought I would vacuum test dizzy advance as can't get engine to run correctly . Vac pod shot ...thought I would test a few more vacuum lines ...all were open 🤔🤔🤔🤔 is there any vacuum gurus on here that can help please with maybe a diagram of the vac lines and positions please . See my next thread to help me with what I found next 🤯🤯
Brownie
Old May 10th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

The 371 is neither a small or big block . It is a first generation Olds V-8.
The small and big block thing started with the 2nd generation engines in 1964 & 65 .

The distributor is connected directly to the base of the carb . And it is ported vacuum , this means it may have no vacuum at idle and only some vacuum under acceleration .

The windshield wiper and heater systems are also powered by vacuum . They get their vacuum from the vacuum pump , which is mounted on top of the fuel pump .
The diagrams for both systems are shown below ;

Old May 10th, 2020, 07:11 PM

What Charlie said and you can check for a blown vacuum advance by sucking on the vacuum line going into it. If no resistance both sucking and blowing the diaphragm is shot and it will give no advance. pretty common on a 60+ year car. I've put two in mine in all the years i've had it.... Tedd
Old May 11th, 2020, 02:51 PM

The plot thickens

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The 371 is neither a small or big block . It is a first generation Olds V-8.
The small and big block thing started with the 2nd generation engines in 1964 & 65 .

The distributor is connected directly to the base of the carb . And it is ported vacuum , this means it may have no vacuum at idle and only some vacuum under acceleration .

The windshield wiper and heater systems are also powered by vacuum . They get their vacuum from the vacuum pump , which is mounted on top of the fuel pump .
The diagrams for both systems are shown below ;

Yea Gidday ......Arrggghhh Huh ....this engine has had manual fuel pump swapped for electric so vac pump missing and all lines plugged into inlet manifold . Should there be a vac storage tank as well 🤔🤔🤔🤔 will track down a 12v vac pump that will run the aftermarket booster as well I think . I have tested everything with a proper vacuum test tool that you pump up to see if there are any leaks ....have found 2 split hoses so far and vacuum advance pod I will send away to be reconditioned . Thanks so much for your help
Brownie

Last edited by Brownie12; May 11th, 2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Senior moment
Old May 11th, 2020, 03:12 PM

Thanks ..

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
What Charlie said and you can check for a blown vacuum advance by sucking on the vacuum line going into it. If no resistance both sucking and blowing the diaphragm is shot and it will give no advance. pretty common on a 60+ year car. I've put two in mine in all the years i've had it.... Tedd
Great info thanks ...need all the help we can get when your upside down and drive on the other side of the road aaaa😊😊😊
Old May 11th, 2020, 03:29 PM

There is a rather large vacuum tank behind the right fender filler panel. About 60 cm long with line going from rear of engine and check valve to tank and other end to power brake if you have said brake. Tank also supplies vacuum for heater controls.
Old May 11th, 2020, 05:06 PM

Great info

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
There is a rather large vacuum tank behind the right fender filler panel. About 60 cm long with line going from rear of engine and check valve to tank and other end to power brake if you have said brake. Tank also supplies vacuum for heater controls.
heading for shed with torch n glasses as we speak
thanks
Old May 11th, 2020, 07:32 PM

You will need to convert your wipers to electric also when you go to a electric fuel pump. I recommend the Newport conversion as it is a easy fix and very reliable, many here have done this conversion including me with no negative issues.... Tedd......https://newportwipers.com/

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 11th, 2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 15th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Delete delete

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Yea Gidday ..
unfortunately the vacuum tank has been deleted as well ...have found an aftermarket 12v vac pump and storage tank here in NZ . Might change wipers to 12v though .... is it possible to convert original switch to operate 12v 🤔🤔🤔 or do you just hide 12v switch in glovebox
Brownie
Old May 18th, 2020, 07:47 AM

The Newport system comes with a adapter that uses your existing switch, no need to change anything and everything appears stock, you will lose your windshield squirters because of the way the switch works. By the way your car is already 12 volts all the way through so no need to convert anything.... Tedd.
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:44 AM

Thanks

The Newport system comes with a adapter that uses your existing switch, no need to change anything and everything appears stock, you will lose your windshield squirters because of the way the switch works. By the way your car is already 12 volts all the way through so no need to convert anything.... Tedd.
All good thanks
have registered on their site ..as well as Fusick 👍👍👍 stay safe
Brownie
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:51 PM

On way

You will need to convert your wipers to electric also when you go to a electric fuel pump. I recommend the Newport conversion as it is a easy fix and very reliable, many here have done this conversion including me with no negative issues.... Tedd......https://newportwipers.com/
Hi there
have one of these heading to Nz at the moment ..thanks for contact ...great people to deal with
Brownie