455 transplant - do I need cooling system improvements?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Look guys, there wont be any arguing or conflicts if everybody does things MY way!

Everybody here tries to give the best free advice. About the only thing everyone CAN agree is you will defiantly get your moneys worth!
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:35 AM

Talking

Not that I would start a thread for this reason, but they
can be very entertaining!
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I find it a bit crazy the way that some people replace perfectly good parts without any reason to believe that there's anything wrong with them.

- Eric
Some of us consider doing an engine swap or rebiuld requirers more than just getting by. With what it costs to do and engine build these days upgrading the support systems should be considered part of the upgrade.
Just because a radiator isn't leaking doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced, replacing the radiator is just like replacing the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch or any other part of the cooling system when doing and upgrade, especially when the parts are that old.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Earlier in the thread I noted that the radiator looks brand new.
The shroud is in excellent shape as well. Perhaps I should have said that this vehicle had a pretty complete restoration about 3000 miles ago. I purchased it this May. I'm swapping the engine and tranny so I can get to the grocery store faster.
I plan to offer the 350/350 for sale soon.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I just don't like to spend money without justification or on a whim. It does not take long to figure out if it works or it won't.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jag1886
Some of us consider doing an engine swap or rebiuld requirers more than just getting by. With what it costs to do and engine build these days upgrading the support systems should be considered part of the upgrade.
I'm not sure how replacing perfectly good parts with newer parts, which may not be as well made as the originals, is an "upgrade."

Originally Posted by jag1886
Just because a radiator isn't leaking doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced, replacing the radiator is just like replacing the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch or any other part of the cooling system when doing and upgrade, especially when the parts are that old.
No, but for a person in possession of a temperature gauge, replacing a radiator that not only doesn't leak, but also keeps the engine cool, would be just plain stupid.

I would say the same about a thermostat that flows adequate coolant and opens and closes when it should, for a good quality water pump that doesn't leak (unless there are a lot of miles on the bearing), and for a fan clutch that keeps the car cool in heavy traffic.

Old cars have old parts. I have trouble with the idea that for an old car to be a good car, it needs to have new parts.

- Eric
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:52 AM

I am LMAO. Good thing many on this board NEEDED aluminun heads, NEEDED roller rockers, NEEDED a high lift cam, and on and on and on. Heaven forbid if after a rebuild someone decided they would change the radiator. Sounds like a pretty selective and self serving view of what is NEEDED.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Looks like the horse is still breathin' !! lol
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your car will not go any faster with a new radiator than with an old radiator, so long as the old radiator cools the engine.

- Eric
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM

The OP can do what ever me wants, I always replace everything because I cooked a new engine once when the tank on what looked like a perfectly good radiator blow out on the road and on a different car I cooked a new engine when the old perfectly good looking water pump had the housing break in half and wiped out everything. So I always air on the side of caution when building something new.
The OP asked for opinions and that is my opinion.
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Administrator

And for every one horror story on reusing old parts there are 1000's of success stories. It's all about what your trying to accomplish and how much money you want to throw at it.

We've all had unforeseen catastrophic parts failures, it happens. If we worry that our old cars will break no one will ever drive them.

Some are proactive and some are reactive. I'm just plain cheap , so outside of safety issues, I wait and see what's going to happen prior to replacing things just for grins and giggles.
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
And for every one horror story on reusing old parts there are 1000's of success stories. It's all about what your trying to accomplish and how much money you want to throw at it.

We've all had unforeseen catastrophic parts failures, it happens. If we worry that our old cars will break no one will ever drive them.

Some are proactive and some are reactive. I'm just plain cheap , so outside of safety issues, I wait and see what's going to happen prior to replacing things just for grins and giggles.
X2 on this philosophy. There is aways something bigger and better to over engineer your car with. Using the analogy with the radiator the OP should also automatically upgrade to a Turbo 400 and a 12 bolt.
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:53 PM

I give up!!
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=oldcutlass;612919]And for every one horror story on reusing old parts there are 1000's of success stories. It's all about what your trying to accomplish and how much money you want to throw at it.

I agree. What anyone wants to accomplish for how much money is their business. One man may want a radiator, one may want an 12 second car that will never see anything but a city street on sunny days. Need is subjective, want is personal.