455 starter position check/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM

455 starter position check/adjustment

Hate to ask, but am so glad y'all are here for me. Let's pretend I am totally GM illiterate. I am not but let's go with it. Trying to get my clearance right on my 74 455 starter. I have no shims, up to three shims. Also tried one half shim on inboard side. Starter wire disconnected just using solenoid. Engage it and it hangs in the flywheel. Turn flywheel a hair it retracts. Reenergize in same spot it won't engage the flywheel unless you turn it some. Takes the least flywheel movement to engage and disengage with no shims, but the flywheel looks so close to the starter nose piece. Tried this yesterday also with my old 2 shims in. Started great with no noise 30 or 40 times. Very next try it ripped the teeth off the starter drive. I am a WUS and scared to actually try again right now. I know at least one of you have the answer, you always do. Don't worry about hurting my feelings just please give me some advice. Thank y'all in advance.
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Set the gear clearances by slipping a 1/16th drill bit in the valley of the ring gear with the starter drive extended, shim if the bit won't fit. The starter drive may not retract unless the engine is moving, this is normal.
Old May 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM

What kind of starter GM or after market?If GM i never had to shim one make sure it has a original GM nose on it because i had a problem with a after market nose till i put a GM nose on.And make sure you use the original knurled starter bolts.https://www1.remyinc.com/webpictures...ps/TBSTR01.pdf
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2olds
What kind of starter GM or after market?If GM i never had to shim one make sure it has a original GM nose on it because i had a problem with a after market nose till i put a GM nose on.And make sure you use the original knurled starter bolts.https://www1.remyinc.com/webpictures...ps/TBSTR01.pdf
^^^This! Those starter shims are for the crappy Type C motors. Olds motors don't need them.

Be aware that without the starter turning, friction between the pinion and ring gears will prevent it from coming back. You are running an invalid test by not having the starter turn.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:12 PM

This is more than once you have helped me. I thank you and God. I do gm's, I guess I just lost my confidence after that one tore up yesterday. Checked it, shimmed it, cranked it repeatedly. It sounds like a dream. We had talked before about a heat soak problem. I bought one of the aftermarket heat wraps and dried it just now. Use to if the car ran 10 or 15 minutes it would drag so bad it wouldn't begin to start. Just drove it 10 miles, got it up to its' normal 180, brought it home and it is cranking like a dream. Seemed like everything was fighting me for a while. Looks like they are looking up. Thanks a lot for y'all's friendship I hope and definitely your ideas. I hope I can help y'all one day and y'all have a good night.