455 Pulley Problems (Water pump alignment)

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2022, 04:26 PM

455 Pulley Problems (Water pump alignment)

I am so close to trying to fire this car up but I have been struggling finding the correct pulley set. The engine only had a KS stamped crank pulley (large 8" crank pulley). Block is marked as a 76 engine. I ordered a 2 groove KH power steering pulley and that seems to be lining up. The water pump pulley on the other hand is too far back. It is a 3 groove with a KK stamping. This is the second water pump pulley I have tried (first one being a KE 3 groove).

Does anyone know what water pulley I need? Bit frustrating as I just need it temporarily to get the car rolling.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; March 5th, 2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 5th, 2022, 05:08 PM
72 Olds CS

Maybe its the wrong water pump?

olds wps come in 5, 5.5, and 6”. If you have a 5.5” on there you may need a 6”
Old March 5th, 2022, 05:10 PM

Measure the water pump

Man I feel for you , apparently there are 3 lengths ( or heights) of water pump pulleys for the big block olds , the motor experts will chime in these guys know way more than I do but if you measure the water pump to the fan flange it’ll give these guys a better idea on what you need
Old March 5th, 2022, 05:16 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lengths-28191/
Old March 5th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

The KK pulley is designed to be used with a 6.1" water pump. Apparently you have a shorter pump.The KF pulley (P/N 399404) is a three groove pulley designed for the 5.6" water pump.

Old March 5th, 2022, 08:11 PM

I got 6" when I measured from the back of the water pump to the nose. Unless I am measuring it incorrectly, I believe I have the larger 6" pump.

I ended up putting 4 of the nuts on the studs as spacers and it seems to be lined up enough. Wondering if it would be enough for now until I get the right pulley. Running electric fans so dont care for the clutch fan.

Anyone want to trade a KK pulley for a KF?

Sitting on 4 nuts as spacers.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; March 5th, 2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old March 5th, 2022, 08:34 PM

Accuracy ?

I don’t really think that 6 inches is an accurate measurement looking at the pic, you have the tape behind the aluminum mounting plate the tape looks a little bent , the backing plate is about an 1/8 inch the little bend will add some you may have the 5.6 ? It is a frustrating mess man feel your pain you have all the mounting bracket spacers on correctly? ( power steering pump) fingers crossed you get this issue solved
Old March 5th, 2022, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I don’t really think that 6 inches is an accurate measurement looking at the pic, you have the tape behind the aluminum mounting plate the tape looks a little bent , the backing plate is about an 1/8 inch the little bend will add some you may have the 5.6 ? It is a frustrating mess man feel your pain you have all the mounting bracket spacers on correctly? ( power steering pump) fingers crossed you get this issue solved
I may be measuring it incorrectly...as Joe stated I probably need the 5.6" KF pulley. I've always measured from behind the plate. The mounts are on correctly. I have 69 Cutlass with a 455 and I look at for reference so I am sure its all mounted correctly and just an issue with the wrong pulley.
Old March 6th, 2022, 05:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your measurement technique is WAAAAY off. The dimension is from the FRONT of the front cover to the FRONT of the pump hub flange. You have added the thickness of the front cover and the thickness of the pulley hub and you're still under 6". You have the 5.6" pump on that motor.
Old March 6th, 2022, 06:40 AM
72 Olds CS

If the alignment is close it will be ok at low rpms, higher rpm will throw and wear belts….
Old March 6th, 2022, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
If the alignment is close it will be ok at low rpms, higher rpm will throw and wear belts….
^^^This. The pulley needs to sit flat against the water pump flange. The manufacturing tolerance on those nuts is too variable to provide a reliable parallel surface. Either get the correct pulley or the correct pump. Half-fast is never a good idea.
Old March 6th, 2022, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Yeah I dont plan on leaving like that. I need to put the belts on so I can start the car and move it out he garage. I'm getting the correct pulley before it goes out on the street.
Old March 6th, 2022, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Your measurement technique is WAAAAY off. The dimension is from the FRONT of the front cover to the FRONT of the pump hub flange. You have added the thickness of the front cover and the thickness of the pulley hub and you're still under 6". You have the 5.6" pump on that motor.
Thank you for the info.
Old March 10th, 2022, 08:56 PM

Problem solved for anyone who faces this. Got a KF pulley and it wouldnt clear the crank pulley. Turns out my KS crank pulley was for AC and the 5.6" pump that was on there was for non-A/C non HD cooling.

Ordered a Gates 6.1" pump from Amazon and got it in 12 hours for $23. Swapped the pump out in about 30 min, used the KK pulley and lined up. Get to finally start this thing.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; March 11th, 2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old March 11th, 2022, 04:18 AM

Awesome

Wow what an ordeal !! Glad you got it sorted