454 in olds cutlass ?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Unhappy 454 in olds cutlass ?

putting 454 chev in 69 olds cutlass with power stearing what headders to use that will fit.
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Well... since this is an Oldsmobile site you won't get a lot of support making this swap. Kinda like going onto a Corvette site and saying your planning to put a Ford engine in your 'vette and asking for advice.

But if you've made up your mind consider the frame between a 1969 Cutlass and a 1969 Chevelle will interchange I think it would depend on what your doing for motor mounts. If your installing something that will match the Chebby mounts then the headers for that car might work.

There's a lot of positives to keeping your Olds all Oldsmobile. When you start mixing and matching you come up with a car that Olds guys don't like because it has a Chebby engine. Then the Chevelle guys won't like it because it has the Cutlass skin on it. You may not plan on ever selling it, but life does change on us. I have seen several examples of car makes and engines mixed and they have to either part them out or sell them so cheap that the next buyer will take it apart. A few years back I bought a 1966 Buick GS clone off Craigslist. He put a rebuilt 1970 455 in it and had the car mostly done when he found he needed to sell the project. After advertizing it for several months and dropping the price by about half I bought it for about what it would cost to rebuild the engine. I kept the engine and sold the rolling chassis to a buick guy. It's your car to do what you want to with, but I'd seriously evaluate the pro's and con's before going further with your project. John
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:45 AM

its your car go for it
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM

Chevelle headers
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM

Yeah Chevelle parts both are A body.
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Oldsdruid

You did mean 455, right?

Aren't you the guy who was trying to sell a running 455/400 combo for fairly high money a few days back? and now you want to stick a Chevy engine where that 455 Olds should rightfully go? The 455/400 is worth a grand to you to sell it, but not to keep the car pure?

Not following you man... you're making no sense...If you wanted a Chevelle why didn't you buy a Chevelle?

And no, it is NOT "all GM", as much as the folks who mix up the Chevrolet kool-aid would like you to believe that.
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gjuddauto
putting 454 chev in 69 olds cutlass with power stearing what headders to use that will fit.
Sell the Cutlass, get a Chevelle.
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
sell the cutlass, get a chevelle.
x2
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Well... since this is an Oldsmobile site you won't get a lot of support making this swap. Kinda like going onto a Corvette site and saying your planning to put a Ford engine in your 'vette and asking for advice.

But if you've made up your mind consider the frame between a 1969 Cutlass and a 1969 Chevelle will interchange I think it would depend on what your doing for motor mounts. If your installing something that will match the Chebby mounts then the headers for that car might work.

There's a lot of positives to keeping your Olds all Oldsmobile. When you start mixing and matching you come up with a car that Olds guys don't like because it has a Chebby engine. Then the Chevelle guys won't like it because it has the Cutlass skin on it. You may not plan on ever selling it, but life does change on us. I have seen several examples of car makes and engines mixed and they have to either part them out or sell them so cheap that the next buyer will take it apart. A few years back I bought a 1966 Buick GS clone off Craigslist. He put a rebuilt 1970 455 in it and had the car mostly done when he found he needed to sell the project. After advertizing it for several months and dropping the price by about half I bought it for about what it would cost to rebuild the engine. I kept the engine and sold the rolling chassis to a buick guy. It's your car to do what you want to with, but I'd seriously evaluate the pro's and con's before going further with your project. John
Very well put. I doubt if it will do any good, but good none the less.

We have been on a dry spell (at least 5 months) for these irritating, and tortuous posts, I knew it was too good to last. How about a section for CROSSBRED engine swaps (like a 60 hp flathead jeep engine into a 1972 98).
The Chevy swaps can go here too.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by Warhead; February 21st, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Flathead...

Ummmmm ...

Tasty ...
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Warhead
How about a section for CROSSBRED engine swaps (like a 60 hp flathead jeep engine into a 1972 98).
The Chevy swaps can go here too.
I have a better idea. If Chevy swaps are so much cheaper and easier than building an Olds motor, then why do we need to waste any bandwidth here? Besides, if someone can't figure out that all A-body cars use the same frame, they probably need more help than we can give them.

Sorry but I'm really tired of the Chevy swap thing. It's like bellybuttons (and another orifice), everybody has one.
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM

I have a better idea. If Chevy swaps are so much cheaper and easier than building an Olds motor, then why do we need to waste any bandwidth here? Besides, if someone can't figure out that all A-body cars use the same frame, they probably need more help than we can give them.

Sorry but I'm really tired of the Chevy swap thing. It's like bellybuttons (and another orifice), everybody has one.
I agree!
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:41 PM

different strokes for different folks did judda auto mean by what would fit ie hookers , Doug's , headers by ed???
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM

I didn't realize he had a 455 for the car, so way would you want a 454?

Nothing against a 454 in a 1970 Chevelle they are cool in a Cutlass not so much.
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM

same reason tiger cheated
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM

I swapped a 6 HP Briggs and Straton engine into a 1974 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser one time. I put a 100 HP shot of NOS on it and it ran 13 flat in the 1/4 mile.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:08 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

i have a better idea. If chevy swaps are so much cheaper and easier than building an olds motor, then why do we need to waste any bandwidth here? Besides, if someone can't figure out that all a-body cars use the same frame, they probably need more help than we can give them.

Sorry but i'm really tired of the chevy swap thing. It's like bellybuttons (and another orifice), everybody has one.
x2......
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I swapped a 6 HP Briggs and Straton engine into a 1974 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser one time. I put a 100 HP shot of NOS on it and it ran 13 flat in the 1/4 mile.
I put an 8 hp Tecumseh in my Custom Cruiser. Of course, it was still attached to the lawn mower in the back of the wagon...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:16 AM

Whatca think, Sell my almost completed 455 with e-brock heads custom cam, flattop pistons and buy a ford 460 and stick it in my 48 Olds. Should we start a pole on this?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

Citcapp.... stop it.... you're bein a shi*!!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM

I have had the pleasure of cleaning up a cutlass convertable that some dummy tried to put a 454 in and wanted to make a drag car out of.Man what a mess but we got it back to reality and its now a red rag top with a 350,400 car and a pleasure to drive.
Steve

Last edited by Olds64; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: no cussing please
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
same reason tiger cheated

He likes them big and heavy?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 2blu442

The positives of keeping an Olds all Olds; The Olds and Chevy guys won't like you??? Have you thought about what you sound like??? And not good f/ resale??? WTF!!! When you ever get into Hot Rods, there are always all kinds of swaps, and your reasons are a freakin' joke. Sorry, but you're not voicing your opinion, you're trying to give advice/lecture in an arrogant way. And I'd evaluate the pros and cons before sticking your foot in your mouth deeper.

I'm surprised how bias you guys are and how childish you all sound. I've always been about Chevys because you can build a chevy cheaper than any others and get a whole hell of alot more power out of it f/ alot less money. I found something I liked in an Olds and got the 455. I've also built Fords, but I wouldn't trash them either. And I'd NEVER dog out an Olds here or on any Chevy site either. All I'm seeing is some narrow-minded ***-holes. Until now, I had a different opinion. I'm ok w/ all makes, and "tired of Chevy swaps," there's a reason f/ all the Chevys around, and not f/ some bias reason you guys are stating. I'm surprised how narrow minded you guys are, and no, it doesn't happen like this on Chevy or 'Vette sites, as I'm there every day.

Last edited by Texas Jim; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

Jim I don't have anything against chevy engines I have built many myself and swapped them into other makes. I'm on several different forums and I give advice and talk about all cars and trucks.

Yes people on this site are going to be bias they are die hard Olds guys every make has their die hard group.

A lot of Ford guys will give you hell over putting an Olds engine in your truck.

I think the main reason that people on here are voicing their opinion on this is because he is selling a 455 and putting a 454 in its place. It's his car he can do that.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM

Jim here is a link to a tread that shows that people on here are not completely bias.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ave-going.html
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
The positives of keeping an Olds all Olds; The Olds and Chevy guys won't like you??? Have you thought about what you sound like??? And not good f/ resale??? WTF!!! When you ever get into Hot Rods, there are always all kinds of swaps, and your reasons are a freakin' joke. Sorry, but you're not voicing your opinion, you're trying to give advice/lecture in an arrogant way. And I'd evaluate the pros and cons before sticking your foot in your mouth deeper.

I'm surprised how bias you guys are and how childish you all sound. I've always been about Chevys because you can build a chevy cheaper than any others and get a whole hell of alot more power out of it f/ alot less money. I found something I liked in an Olds and got the 455. I've also built Fords, but I wouldn't trash them either. And I'd NEVER dog out an Olds here or on any Chevy site either. All I'm seeing is some narrow-minded ***-holes. Until now, I had a different opinion. I'm ok w/ all makes, and "tired of Chevy swaps," there's a reason f/ all the Chevys around, and not f/ some bias reason you guys are stating. I'm surprised how narrow minded you guys are, and no, it doesn't happen like this on Chevy or 'Vette sites, as I'm there every day.
I tend to agree with you for the most part. Although a Chevy Olds swap is not something I am doing I grow tired of the other make bashing around this place.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM

I agree with "It's your car and you can do what ever you want with it. 22" wheels, what ever engine you want etc. My reply was a atempt at some humor. Not bashing, But like others have stated this is primarliy an Oldsmobile site and the majority of the guys here want to see the preservation of the Marque and be able to preserve as many of thes fine machines as possible. Chevy engines are installed in every kind of car that has been manufactured because of the low cost of buying them to the ease of which the small block installs in a tight engine bay. I have built several myself and will most likley do so again for the right car. The question was answered A body frames are the same. SO lets move on
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
is Fast Enough ...

O.m a post ***** and I like this site 'cause you can talk about/ask anything ...

I towed my 442 with a 4 banger rice grinder and it cruised at 70 though I mostly went 55 ...

I was thinking, put a 4 banger in a cutlass a get 20 mpg, maybe have a recording of a BB I could play...

I want to put a 460 ford into a vette ...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Oh yeh ...

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM

I understand what you are saying, Jim- I just do not agree with you.
I am not trashing the Chevy, Ford, Mazda, etc.
I love them all, too-mostly the big, made in America stuff.

It is the guy's with no life that come onto this website time after time, with nothing better to do than to stir up a loaded toilet.

They know the answers, and the response they will get, and for this guy his question was never a legitimate one. And this is the ONLY web site I see it on, and I usually visit 3 dedicated to Oldsmobile's on a frequent basis.

Notice he has not even posted another response. He was not here to learn anything.

And the only crossbreeds I do like, are in trucks. I do not want to see an Oldsmobile engine in a Camaro, either.
May be silly to you, that is just me.
Jim
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
is Fast Enough ...

It is the guy's with no life that come onto this website time after time, with nothing better to do than to stir up a loaded toilet.

They know the answers, and the response they will get, and for this guy his question was never a legitimate one. And this is the ONLY web site I see it on, and I usually visit 3 dedicated to Oldsmobile's on a frequent basis.

Notice he has not even posted another response. He was not here to learn anything.

And the only crossbreeds I do like, are in trucks. I do not want to see an Oldsmobile engine in a Camaro, either.
Jim
A troll on a bulletin board is very common ...

You troll (for bights) on hamb and they react quickly- they (hamb) suck ...

I really don't need someone telling me what a f'n Hot Rod is ...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
car guy

Or he didn't like being sucker punched instead of welcomed. I'm all for a little ribbing but this goes out of hand all the time. I can think of several members that I happen to know from other boards that have tried to be a part of this place and did not feel welcome and left. I was embarrased at the way some of you guys treated Rambo who has been a regular contributor but admitted he was installing a BBC and it was like a witch hunt.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Texas Jim

Jim

Warhead,
Nothing is silly to me. I understand what being a "die-hard" Olds/Chevy/Ford/Chrysler, or whatever guy is all about. I was one of these guys at one time f/ a long time. I've just found, over the years, that there are good things about every MFGs. machinery. They're all different and all worth the time to understand and appreciate. Swaps are interesting, and I do find some swaps to be crazy and make little sense to me, and others that make good sense and IMO are cool. I'm not taking up f/ the guy doing the engine swap just because, at this time, I'm doing one. I'm doing a hot rod project, which I've sorted through, thought out and planned f/ years. I'm also doing some work to my 'Vette, which has it's total original drive trane, the engine slightly modified. Most of the time I go w/ a Super Stock type idea, something that came from the factory w/ the engine I'm building f/ it, at a higher performance level. So I don't always understand the different ideas that peepz have f/ the different rides they build, but I've learned to be open-minded and considerate. (as long as these ideas are do-able and not some pure bullshit story.) I'm in no way knocking the fact that you guys are hard-core Olds fans, I'd never do that. I'm down on the narrow-mindedness and the arrogance shown when this guy mentioned the Chevy-powered Cutlass.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

Fact is is it won't work at all!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Fact is is it won't work at all!
Why not.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM

If Warheads right, the guy certainly did a good job stirring up trouble and then he hit the road. The jokes on us.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Oldsdruid

I am one of those diehard Olds guys. I've been in them since I was 3 days old and the family has an extensive history with them starting in 1937, 20 years before I made the scene.

What I don't like is the attitude that a Chevy engine is the solution to everything, and that it's the only GM engine worth building. It is not. It IS the cop-out solution when you can't or won't build something else.

Richard- what the heck did he expect here? to be welcomed with open arms by people who absolutely do not share the concept that Chevy is the be-all end-all powerplant for any GM car? I don't give a rat's butt what someone does with their own car, but don't expect me to share your enthusiasm about bastardizing it. Especially when he admitted he had a running G-headed 455 and intended to ditch it for the (IMHO) inferior 454 Chevy (maybe having sent rods thru the side of a couple of 396's has influenced my admittedly low opinion of the BBC). Then- when he pulled the 455/400 combo and offered it for a grand or best offer, that was an insult and he knew it. He obviously thought the engine was worth some coin, but didn't think it was worth keeping for his own use? I don't play well with guys like that.

I've always been told to watch what you ask for since you just might get it. He asked for it.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM

clapsmiley.gif clapsmiley.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif
clapsmiley.gif (1.9 KB, 0 views)
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I am one of those diehard Olds guys. I've been in them since I was 3 days old and the family has an extensive history with them starting in 1937, 20 years before I made the scene.

What I don't like is the attitude that a Chevy engine is the solution to everything, and that it's the only GM engine worth building. It is not. It IS the cop-out solution when you can't or won't build something else.

Richard- what the hell did he expect here? to be welcomed with open arms by people who absolutely do not share the concept that Chevy is the be-all end-all powerplant for any GM car? I don't give a rat's *** what someone does with their own car, but don't expect me to share your enthusiasm about bastardizing it. Especially when he admitted he had a running G-headed 455 and intended to ditch it for the (IMHO) inferior 454 Chevy (maybe having sent rods thru the side of a couple of 396's has influenced my admittedly low opinion of the BBC). Then- when he pulled the 455/400 combo and offered it for a grand or best offer, that was a damn insult and he knew it. He obviously thought the engine was worth some coin, but didn't think it was worth keeping for his own use? I don't play well with guys like that.

I've always been told to watch what you ask for since you just might get it. He asked for it.
How is building a Chevy engine a cop-out? And should the guy have given the Olds away f/ free because he won't use it in his own car? You're pissed off at the exact attitude, about Chevys, that you're exhibiting here, about Olds. W/ all due respect, someone pissed in your Cheerios this morning.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

How is building a Chevy engine a cop-out?
Look, Chevy engines are fine. The LS-family is especially impressive. The fact remains that the Olds engine is what makes the car an Oldsmobile. Swapping in a Chevy turns the Olds into a Chevelle with misshapen sheet metal.

The argument that Chevy motors are cheaper to build should also apply to the body. Chevelle parts are more plentiful and should be cheaper. If one is going to make that argument with the engine, it should also apply to the entire car.

Quick Reply: 454 in olds cutlass ?