425 head id

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2022, 12:23 PM

425 head id

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping some of you can help me with this issue I'm having.
I just removed the heads of my 67 delta 88 to replace a leaking gasket and noticed the intake valves are different sizes on the two heads. One head is marked B with casting number 389548 and N6495568T punched on the front face,this has a 52mm intake valve.
the other one is marked C,casting number 394548 and R19456 punched on the front face. This has a 50mm intake valve. I'm not asking anyone to guess why,but I'm looking for advice on how to attack this, as I am quite sure that I will never get this setup to run properly. Should I get another c head or just perhaps put two edelbrock or similar heads on, as I already have a performer intake and a holley carb installed?

Old April 22nd, 2022, 02:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

"Why" is easy. Someone replaced a head at some time in the last half century or so. Whoever did it was clearly uneducated in the details. The best thing is to find another "C" casting, which is correct for your 67. The "B" casting is from 1966. No, Olds never installed two different castings from the factory. The alternative is to install the same size valves and new springs in both heads to make the as similar as possible. The differences between the two basic castings is negligible
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:17 PM

Maybe a 66 L69 is missing its passenger side head.
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:31 PM

Hi,yeah. Thank you for the reply. Looks like someone really went to town on the c head too. It's been attempted ported as well,possibly to make up for the difference in valve size? .
Would I see any improvement in response/powerif I were to install a similar big-valve head to the B head or would you recommend installing a un-molested C head to accompany the original one?
I've tried finding either of them online,unsuccessfully. Which of them would I be most likely to find used?
thanks again.
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
Maybe a 66 L69 is missing its passenger side head.
hope I can buy the other one too. Not sure which way to go here. Either buy a c head or get hold of another b head. C heads are probably more common?
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:56 PM

The drivers side B head on the donor car was never stamped like that from the factory so it cannot be linked to your B head. Without the factory POP I am not sure that you can ID the donor car.

A lot of the guys here have parts. C heads are fairly common. Place an ad in Parts Wanted. No doubt you know that the weight of heads means a boat trip must arranged for the transit to Norway.

Somone may also sell you a single B head. Is the choice to buy a single B head versus a pair of C heads?

FYI—I keep reading that the long overdue revised Eldebrock heads will be released this summer.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; April 22nd, 2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
The drivers side B head on the donor car was never stamped like that from the factory so it cannot be linked to your B head. Without the factory POP I am not sure that you can ID the donor car.

A lot of the guys here have parts. C heads are fairly common. Place an ad in Parts Wanted. No doubt you know that the weight of heads means a boat trip must arranged for the transit to Norway.

Somone may also sell you a single B head. Is the choice to buy a single B head versus a pair of C heads?

FYI—I keep reading that the long overdue revised Eldebrock heads will be released this summer.
Yeah ,the shipping will suck,but i guess there's not much to do about that. Not sure if I wanna replace them with C heads or just put another B head on. I hear the C head flows better, but if I get a big-valve B head to match the one I have that would probably be just as good. Any thoughts?
edelbrock would be nice,but they are like 1100 per set + shipping.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 05:53 AM

There are some Olds engine builders on this site. Perhaps they will jump in with their opinions.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; April 23rd, 2022 at 05:57 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is no difference between small and big valve head castings. You can put big valves in a small valve head by just cutting the seats.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 08:59 AM

What's your location? There's likely several members here with what you need. If you would let us know where you are then someone nearby can offer up a head and save you shipping costs.

John
Old April 23rd, 2022, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
What's your location? There's likely several members here with what you need. If you would let us know where you are then someone nearby can offer up a head and save you shipping costs.

John
I'm located in Norway, not sure if anyone on this forum are located nearby.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 09:48 AM

Once upon a time there was a 66 Track Pac W-30 that was owned by John McWhirter that he raced. The engine had one B head and one C head. John was one of the founders of Comp Cams. The short answer is if correctness is not an issue,match the heads up and let it rip..
Old April 23rd, 2022, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Once upon a time there was a 66 Track Pac W-30 that was owned by John McWhirter that he raced. The engine had one B head and one C head. John was one of the founders of Comp Cams. The short answer is if correctness is not an issue,match the heads up and let it rip..
well.thats one option. I guess my main concern is that I have one ported head with smaller valves and one unported with the bigger valves. I suppose I could insert the bigger valves in the C head and port them both? One of the other users here said there's not much difference between the two heads?
Old April 26th, 2022, 11:58 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'm located in Norway, not sure if anyone on this forum are located nearby.
Hi have seen a couple from Sweden here
Old April 30th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Why" is easy. Someone replaced a head at some time in the last half century or so. Whoever did it was clearly uneducated in the details. The best thing is to find another "C" casting, which is correct for your 67. The "B" casting is from 1966. No, Olds never installed two different castings from the factory. The alternative is to install the same size valves and new springs in both heads to make the as similar as possible. The differences between the two basic castings is negligible
I have a set of b heads I got with a 425 toro motor .Iv been in contact with him offered to send him one B head for 200. we will see where that goes FYI I also can get another set of Bs I dont see myself using them anytime soon C re a dime a dozen whole problem is the shipping to Holand or he be better off with a couple Cs
Still trying to get familiar with this site if Im doing something wrong or you have some advise Id welcome it Thanks Joe