4 or 5 qrt. pan?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2018, 03:24 PM

4 or 5 qrt. pan?

I'm going to use a 5 quart pan but I don't know the difference just by looking. Is the 5 qrt. noticibly a little deepr or have a little longer sump?....thanks, Dave
Old June 10th, 2018, 03:53 PM

What year car do you have? All the Olds will be 5QT, and 6 for a Toro pan.
Old June 10th, 2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, it's a 1940 ****** coupe so I doubt I'll have any fitment issues. I could easily run an 7 or 8 qrt. pan and would if I could find one at a decent price.....that's not some chinese paper thin POS. Unfortunately Moroso and Canton have priced themselves out of my financial range. The reason I asked was I see stock capacity pans on ebay and the vendor says they are 4 qrt. pans with the filter. That just doesn't make sense to me, even a small black chevy is 5 with a filter. Did Olds offer a bigger pan for the hipo cars and is the stock 5 qrt. pan mean with the filter? I don't want a toro pan at all. Here's the room that I have .......... Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
F-250 213.JPG (855.3 KB, 2 views)
Old June 11th, 2018, 05:51 AM

The regular Olds pan is 5 Qt with filter, and the Toro is 6 with filter, so I you can say, 4 in pan one in filter. I use the AC PF 24 filter, and it holds less than a quart.I always thought you called it a 5, and 6, because that was the total, and not a 4 and 5.You should be able to find a good used one, aftermarket that is larger. Lot of guys with boat motors used one, check Ebay.
Old June 11th, 2018, 05:54 AM

There are three types of pans - I'm fuzzy on the specific application history of the first two.

The basic pan, which I've always seen on 350's, looks like a small rectangular bucket for a sump. Vertical walls. Very small. This one is 4qts in the pan.

The common pan available in the aftermarket, used as the starting point for the big pans, and was the original 455 pan (+/-? not sure) sloped the front of the sump towards the crossmember making a gradual curve down to the bottom. This one holds 5qts in the pan. Must have a baffle plate or all the oil can flow right out of the sump when hitting the brakes!

Then there's the toro with the hump for the steering up near the front, which makes the oil trap up there.
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Gary

Some have documented lower power when using Toro pan, so it's safer to look for alternatives if you want more oil capacity.
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Thanks gentlemen, I have been looking on ebay and have found a couple of stock pans but they had no baffle.......not what I want. There also some decent looking 8 qrt. Moroso clones that would work just fine but I know they are most likely "off shore" mfg. Kind of scary buying one w/o seeing it in person. I'll have to call the vendor to see if I can return it if it doesn't "pan" out. ...... attempt at humor.
Old June 11th, 2018, 11:13 AM

I think you are going to have a substantial amount of money invested in the engine..... and the car. The lubrication system is the last place I would go........ cheep, cheep, cheep.
Good luck and let us know what you learn.
Old June 11th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Yes, this I know, I do a ton of research on the parts I use, just not going to spend $350 or so on a Moroso or Canton pan.
Old June 11th, 2018, 11:41 AM

7QT Low Profile Oil Pan!

Hello Dave,

We can sell you a Milodon 7qt oil pan "Made In USA" for $281.65 and pick-up for $42.25.

This will be the best money you can spend on your Oldsmobile engine.

And the best part is you can pick up the oil pan and pick-up when you pick up your heads from US...

Thank you,
Bernard Mondello
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:09 PM

Hi Bernard, glad to see you on board here. After my last visit with you and reading some of the horror stories by some of the members doing business with that other guy I'm more than convinced you're the man to deal with. As a matter of fact I was going to call you and order the oil restrictors since the block is at Snow Machine in Saint George. That's a helluva a lot better deal on the pan but my question to you is...... do I REALLY need an 8 qrt. pan for a strickly street machine or will the stock 5 qrt. pan work with a 1 qrt. long oil filter? Thanks for the reply also ......
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Hello Dave,

Well IMHO there's simply not enough oil capacity in a stock type oil pan.

When you have 3/4's of a qt in the oil galley's/pushrods, and crankshaft. And a 1/2 qt in valve covers and another 1/2 qt of oil elsewhere at any given time within the engine and not in the oil pan sump. There's just not enough oil left in the sump/pan for a performance engine build...

Thank you,
Bernard Mondello
Old June 11th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Well said, that answers my question.