2 groove water pump pulleys ?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2019, 04:34 PM

2 groove water pump pulleys ?

Hello all, hope this is in the right place. So I did an AC delete, and I was looking to get a two groove pulley for the water pump, so I went to my local NAPA and ordered one. Come to find out it was too large as it was grinding on the crankshaft once installed, so I exchanged for a smaller one. Low an behold (as is always with working on a car) this one too small. Like an idiot, I threw the original one on without measuring and I’ve had to deal with belt squeal off and on ever since. I have an Olds 350 Delta 88 Royale and was wondering if anyone has found one that works; and if so, would you kindly point me in the right direction? Not to sound like a smarty pants, but I am sure the belts been tensioned properly each time, but the belt squeal is still present. Any and all helps appreciated as always, thank you...
Old October 7th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Rodney

I have a 1969 2-groove water pump pulley, GM part number 399401, stamped KE. It's 7-1/16" in diameter and roughly 1-7/8" tall. I don't know if this will work. Here's a pic and the link to my for-sale post:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...401-ke-132898/

Old October 8th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Olds Fanatic

I have one that measures 7-5/16" in diameter and 2"

in height, stamped KN if that helps.
Old October 8th, 2019, 09:40 AM

When I rebuilt my 350 Olds I went to a under drive pulley system. Before my research I didn't know there were 2 different types of 2 groove pulleys, depending on the water pump height of 6" or 5.6".

https://www.cvfracing.com/oldsmobile...-belt-pulleys/
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Will those pulleys even fit what looks to be a 1983 Delta 88? I think a lot will also depend on what kind of water pump the car has and what length the snout is. Usually the cars with AC and HD cooling use a WP pulley that has a bell flange to set the belt grooves back to the proper position.
Old October 8th, 2019, 03:29 PM

NAPA sells Olds pulleys?!
Old October 8th, 2019, 04:18 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but @cdrod , that seems way too big. I believe @Allan R was right as those are for older models. @69 Hurst , i believe yours in more in the neighborhood i’m looking for. I havent been able to pull it apart yet as its my daily, and I dont have a day off until Friday.

i doubt these will help much, but about this size. I appreciate the help all, and @69 Hurst ; let me know what you think. Id say they may be close, but the problem ive had is the actual pulley size is okay, but the fan bolt holes are too close together.
Old October 8th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
NAPA sells Olds pulleys?!

hahah, yeah. They actually have books for older Olds parts and whatnot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old October 8th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tuffnut
When I rebuilt my 350 Olds I went to a under drive pulley system. Before my research I didn't know there were 2 different types of 2 groove pulleys, depending on the water pump height of 6" or 5.6".

https://www.cvfracing.com/oldsmobile...-belt-pulleys/

thank you sir, will be checking this out. You’d think I’d know WHICH water pump I have...and as many as I’ve put in Olds 350s, I STILL forget..🤦🏾*♂️
Old October 8th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
I havent been able to pull it apart yet as its my daily, and I dont have a day off until Friday.

Why can't you just source out some new belts that fit the existing water pump, crank and Alt pulleys? That's what I ended up doing. I do have a smaller 3 groove pulley (code KE). Here's a link to it's thread. See if it will help you with your project. It's much smaller than the ones already in discussion. Water Pump Pulley KE
Old October 9th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Why can't you just source out some new belts that fit the existing water pump, crank and Alt pulleys? That's what I ended up doing. I do have a smaller 3 groove pulley (code KE). Here's a link to it's thread. See if it will help you with your project. It's much smaller than the ones already in discussion. Water Pump Pulley KE

I did downsize my power steering belt, though not the alternator because I didnt think it would be affected. Did i misguess ?
Old October 9th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

When I downsized my WP pulley (required when converting from standard to HD cooling), I needed to change out both PS and Alt. You said you had AC on the car so you might be able to get away with only one belt change.
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
Sorry for the late reply, but @cdrod , that seems way too big. I believe @Allan R was right as those are for older models. @69 Hurst , i believe yours in more in the neighborhood i’m looking for. I havent been able to pull it apart yet as its my daily, and I dont have a day off until Friday.

i doubt these will help much, but about this size. I appreciate the help all, and @69 Hurst ; let me know what you think. Id say they may be close, but the problem ive had is the actual pulley size is okay, but the fan bolt holes are too close together.
EsoWuhn,
If you get the chance to take yours off, measure the bolt hole spacing and I can compare it to the pulley I have.
Old October 9th, 2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
EsoWuhn,
If you get the chance to take yours off, measure the bolt hole spacing and I can compare it to the pulley I have.

Done an done, 👍🏾 . Friday I can get back to ya, as I’ll be redoing my oil pan gasket and rear main seal, so I’ll put it and send ya a message