1970 cutlass engine question

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:33 AM

1970 cutlass engine question

hello i purchased a 1970 cutlass a few months ago and i found some numbers on the block googled them and they told me it was a 350 big block is that true? does any one know the stock hp rating of it is?also i put a edlebrock 600 cfm on it because the the old q jet had major problems other then that i haven't done much else

unfortunately recently the radiator was stolen out of the cutlass so now im thinking of doing an electric fan setup on either a copper core stock radiator or an aluminum radiator if i can find a deal on one, anyone know how much if any hp an electric fan setup will free up?

also i was wondering the cutlass has little "S" emblems on the door panels could that possible mean the car is a type "S" or am i being nieve and did a previous owner just slap those on there

lastly is there anywhere i can go to find out exactly what i have model wise with the vin number and oh yeah the dmv was giving me a hard time because my car only has 1 vin number on it does anyone know where other vin numbers are hidden the one on the door panel fell off

thanks for listening i just recently found you guys and im eager to learn about the car i have
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Post the vin here, many of us can interperet it for you. I don't know about different state laws requireing two vins. I am aware of the one on the body, under the windshield, maybe I am just forgeting another location. Someone stole your radiator?!!!! Where do you live bro? Time to get some security. Your car is probably a Cutlass S model and that explains the S emblems on the door panels. There should be one on either front fender and one on the front of the hood on the part that protrudes down that you always bump your head on. About building a 442 clone, I read your requests in your other posts, that is called the OAI hood and you will pay some money for one of those. They show up on ebay sometimes. Personally, I would just clean up the S model and make is nice but to each their own.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by shaks 442 clone
........ they told me it was a 350 big block is that true? ........
Depends who gave you the information. Odds are, a '70 Cutlass V8, would have come with a 350, which is not normally called a big block.

The distance between the block and the intake manifold, as shown by the arrow, and the area inside the circle, show this engine to be a “big block”. If they were shorter, by about 1¼”, it would be called a “small block”.

........ what i have model wise with the vin number ........
Post it here, without the last 6 digits. It should look something like this: 342570ZXXXXXX

Norm
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:41 AM

its a boy i mean its a big block

now does anyone know why edelbrocks polished aluminum intake manifold for a 1970 cutlass wont work with a edelbrock preformer carb?

in car craft the magazine i saw a guy with a 442 with a 455 he got his manifold from some company called offenhauser i guess if i cant figure anything out im going with an offenhauser but i really wanted to keep going the edelbrock route with the chrome dress up look

help!
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:11 AM

I'm not sure which manifold you have, but it may be an O4B which was made back in the 1970's. I don't know if they had both bolt patterns or not. I like the Edelbrock Performer intake for a daily driver and it has the multiple bolt patterns for both the quadrajet and square bore carbs. If you could post a photo we might be able to shed a little more light on the subject. John
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Edelbrock O4B DID come in two versions, Holley square bore bolt pattern and Q-jet bolt pattern. The Edelbrock carbs are re-badged Carter AFB carbs. The AFB originally used the small bolt pattern. I'm not sure what the new ones use (or is the flange drilled for both?).