1962 Delta 88 poor start, flooding every crank?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2021 | 08:25 PM

1962 Delta 88 poor start, flooding every crank?

I made a post awhile back about poor starting. Haven't gotten anywhere to fixing it yet, but did some diagnosis and noticed this very not normal spewing of gas into the carb. Seems like I'm flooding it with every crank, is this just a stuck choke or what? I'll be taking it in for a check by a mechanic who knows what to do, but was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction in case there is a DIY fix or in case there's just more I should know.

Youtube video showing the issue better than I describe it.
Old July 30th, 2021 | 09:08 PM
Administrator

Looks like your float sunk.
Old July 31st, 2021 | 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks like your float sunk.
That makes sense, never would've got there on my own, but now that you say it that makes sense. Thanks!
Old July 31st, 2021 | 08:42 AM

Ask the mechanic first but they might want you to source a new float and carb rebuild kit before taking to the garage. Your going to need it anyway.

Curious, was the fuel pump replaced recently? I've read about the pressure being too high on new pumps and a pressure regulator added to the line works around the issue.

Good luck!!!
Old July 31st, 2021 | 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Ask the mechanic first but they might want you to source a new float and carb rebuild kit before taking to the garage. Your going to need it anyway.

Curious, was the fuel pump replaced recently? I've read about the pressure being too high on new pumps and a pressure regulator added to the line works around the issue.

Good luck!!!
No engine work in 10+ years. Became symptomatic after a recent oil change. Though reading up on sunk floats makes me think I've been living with a sticky float for a few years now.
Old July 31st, 2021 | 09:08 AM

Be careful running it, that could be a fire hazard.

Sometime it is dirt between the needle valve and seat, a bad needle valve, a heavy float, or a seat that loosened in the carb body. I've had success flushing a dirty needle and seat by pinching the rubber hose to the fuel pump closed and letting the carb run dry. When restarting with the empty fuel bowl the volume and surging of the inbound fuel from the pump flushes the needle and seat clear. Dirt/debris on the needle and seat wasn't all that uncommon immediately after replacing a fuel filter.

Good luck!!!
Old July 31st, 2021 | 09:18 AM

Be careful running it, that could be a fire hazard.

Sometime it is dirt between the needle valve and seat, a bad needle valve, a heavy float, or a seat that loosened in the carb body. I've had success flushing a dirty needle and seat by pinching the rubber hose to the fuel pump closed and letting the carb run dry. When restarting with the empty fuel bowl the volume and surging of the inbound fuel from the pump flushes the needle and seat clear. Dirt/debris on the needle and seat wasn't all that uncommon immediately after replacing a fuel filter.

Good luck!!!
Yeah after sniffing my air filter (soaked with fuel) I'm off the road. Debating trying my hand at a rebuild or shipping it to a shop like guaranteed carbs to have it done.

Any one have a recommendation on a good kit specifically for Oldsmobile carb kits.
Old July 31st, 2021 | 09:41 AM

Is the car a '62 or '72?

A carb rebuild isn't difficult as long as your work methodically, clean and follow a manual explicitly.

One risky part is stripping or cross-threading the threads at the fuel inlet nut. Be super careful with those threads. The float, needle valve and seat could be done on the car without a full disassembly but I'd pull it all apart for a cleaning.

Good luck!!!
Old July 31st, 2021 | 10:16 AM

Is the car a '62 or '72?

A carb rebuild isn't difficult as long as your work methodically, clean and follow a manual explicitly.

One risky part is stripping or cross-threading the threads at the fuel inlet nut. Be super careful with those threads. The float, needle valve and seat could be done on the car without a full disassembly but I'd pull it all apart for a cleaning.

Good luck!!!
1962 dynamic 88 with the original 2 barrel carb.
Old July 31st, 2021 | 11:18 AM

Nice! Don't let go of that carb...no rebuilt exchanges.
Old August 1st, 2021 | 12:40 PM

Interesting, I ordered the rebuild kit and a float. Then opened it up this afternoon because I had some spare time (3 kids, oldest is 5 spare time is hard to find). Tested the float in some hot water, zero bubbles. And from the look of the gaskets this carb was rebuilt recently so I reassembled and it's never started so easily. I'm guessing something in there was sticky, cross fingers to see if it keeps working.

Also cracked a dry rotted vacuum hose in the process, so off to the store to find a replacement for that.