1971 442 rotting away in plain sight. Sad, just sad....

Old July 26th, 2016, 09:45 AM

1971 442 rotting away in plain sight. Sad, just sad....

This is a local one that has been going down hill for about 20 years now, I think most of that time in the same spot. When the guy first got it in the 1990s, it was a beautiful car. He refuses to sell it, as he's "going to restore it someday". It just sits in the driveway, growing algae and rust.
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:09 AM

oh yeah cb radio, that thing has been down since the 80s
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Hell no I won't sell it, gonna fix it up some day...
Old July 26th, 2016, 12:57 PM

There was a 70 W30 convertible that sat outside unprotected near me for about 25 years.

The top was ripped to shreds, and the car filled up with rain, snow, and leaves.

Someone finally bought it, and when they went to move it, it broke in half due to rust.

The majority of these cars meet a bad outcome.
Old July 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Oldcutlass

Is that where they got the phrase " shade tree mechanic"?
Old July 26th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Administrator

I believe so
Old July 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM

cars have emotional attatchment..maybe it was his high school car or a relative owned etc..i cant be mad at people holding onto stuff...they wake up one day and its a parts car...or they have no idea what to do with it...

i dont like it..but who knows why people do weird stuff

why not knock on the door..figure out whats going on and offer some help as an oldsmobile enthusiast...be an ambassador..
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
cars have emotional attatchment..maybe it was his high school car or a relative owned etc..i cant be mad at people holding onto stuff...they wake up one day and its a parts car...or they have no idea what to do with it...

why not knock on the door..figure out whats going on and offer some help as an oldsmobile enthusiast...be an ambassador..
Agree with your premise and advise....who knows, it just might pay off in the long run with the owner agreeing to sell the car to save it.
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:53 PM

Explain to him you are interested in preserving the car and tell him or better yet show him areas on the car that have already rusted away and how it will only get worse. If he sees that it will only decay into junk he may see that saving it by selling it to you (who can restore it NOW) is the best option, aside from the instant cash flow selling it gets him. Good luck and verify its a 442 before purchase.
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:56 PM

P.S. the P.O.S. behind it looks like it has a flat tire too. Whats that, a Dodge Neon. ABSOLUTELY MUST RESTORE THAT SOME DAY.
Old July 26th, 2016, 08:08 PM

Convert him to Buddhism and it'll be easy as cake to remove it from his hands.
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:57 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by marxjunk

I think this is very valid in the assessment and also a possible game plan. People lose jobs, go through divorces, have health issues, take care of parents, etc. These could all be reasons why they could be hanging onto the car with a big hope to get back to it someday. Some feel that every week is their week to hit the lottery or they hold out hope for some other reason or just can't let go due to memories.

At any rate, there is no harm in asking them about the car. It could just be nobody has done so before. Or that it has been a while.
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Shade tree mechanic just means someone that works in his yard on his cars, as opposed to in a personal or professional level garage. It's more of a Southern thing, as it gets COLD up here in the winter, says my native Floridian, Indiana winter hating self.
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Shade tree mechanic probably comes from the days when guys hung a chain hoist from a low tree limb to pull a motor. It has been a long time since I have seen it but I saw it years ago when I lived in Louisiana.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:42 PM

The sad thing is that the owner will eventually pass away and the car will have deteriorated so far that his children will just scrap it for $500.
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:38 PM

It's a shame to see something like that rot away but unfortunately we see it far to often.

Sometimes you can show an interest and they eventually give in and sell.

A good approach is to ask if it is possible to take a few pictures to post on the forum. Then stop by from time to time and ask for help on your car using the I need to see how this part is attached or is that part original.

You never know. You might develop a common bond and he may need to sell it. If your lucky he'll give you the first shot at it.

I've done this on a couple of occasions. Once with an old Cutlass and once or twice with old coke machines.

Good Luck
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:54 PM

not an olds but just as depressing

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...left-for-dead/
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
There are some that would give a ******** for that car...
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:33 AM

The guy was a teenager when he bought it. He's probably in his early to mid 40s now. I have talked to him a few times over the years and did stop to talk to him a couple of years ago. That's when he said he would never sell it. I can appreciate him wanting to keep it, I just wish he would keep it indoors so that there would be something left to restore when he or someone else gets around to it.
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Here's a shot from the front:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1992.JPG (606.3 KB, 148 views)
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM

It's a shame that he can't realize he doesn't either have the budget to do it and the son just ain't into it.
On the otherside of the coin, I work with a guy that has a dozen classics, most were road ready when bought, unrestored patina cars. Most if they are lucky get 20 miles a year, others just get fired up now and then... Then ya hear him whine when he decides to take one to a car show or cruise and something don't work... Brakes, fuel sender, etc...
I laugh these old cars don't do well if all they do is sit. Why own more than you can drive. I guess if you flip em...
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:07 AM

Whatever happened to this '71 442?
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:23 PM

I’m guessing nothing has change except for the amount of decay. Some people just can’t deal with the idea of parting with the object of so many fond memories, or hope to someday add to those memories. Sounds like the owner of this car falls into that category. On the other hand, there are people who get a thrill from having something desirable or valuable, and enjoy turning down offers to buy or salvage what remains.
Old December 24th, 2019, 04:10 AM

I have no fond memories of my 70 Cutlass, other than it's a nice looking car. If I can't find an engine rebuilder by spring I'm calling a wrecker to have it hauled away.

Last edited by Destructor; December 24th, 2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old December 24th, 2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Destructor
I have no fond memories of my 70 Cutlass, other than it's a nice looking car. If I can't find an engine rebuilder by spring I'm calling a wrecker to have it hauled away.
The wrecker can bring the Cutlass to the Poconos salvage yard. Especially if it is a '70 Cutlass 'S' in decent condition. lol
Old December 24th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Destructor
Have you considered tearing it down yourself? A timing chain is not very hard to do, with the exception of the harmonic balancer removal, no other special tools required.
Old December 24th, 2019, 09:16 AM

It's a long story, If these are interference engines I may have bent pushrods if it skipped too many teeth, it's a 70 low comp engine. I'm kind of itching for a rebuild. I can change the chain myself. I did a Caddy motor years ago which is a similar pain, (also needs a rear seal) but with all the work of removing the pan I might as well take out the engine to do it. if I take the engine out I might as well get it rebuilt. A nearby shop that has an excellent reputation will not remove and reinstall my engine. I have almost zero time to remove the engine and reinstall and my garage is only a single car garage. If only I didn't have to work it would be a fun project, after I get home from work my patience level is almost zero. Unfortunately I don't really trust any shops to do it for me without taking shortcuts, mishandling something and/or not putting my engine compartment back together properly. The one shop I trust to do that type of work retired.