1970 442 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2016, 02:59 PM

1970 442 Restoration

OK, so I bought what I thought was a solid car and planned on finishing a restoration that had already been started by the previous owner. Had I known then what little I know now, I would have closed the trailer door and started the 8 hour drive back home. I'll share with you my experience and stupidity on my part and then I'll post a bunch of pictures of the car as I bought it and as it sits today.
The car had been for sale for some time and I was told it must be because of the remote location in which he resided. He said he had a deposit from another guy but if I wanted it, he would sell it to me. I traveled 8 hours to his house and checked out the car. I told him that I was going to purchase the car at the price we agreed upon as long as it looked as good as it did in the pictures he sent. I was on a tight schedule and asked him to have everything ready so I could load it in the trailer and head back home. It took two hours to locate all the parts and things were missing that he said he had. To my untrained eye the car seemed pretty nice, sounded and ran strong. The shifter linkage fell apart on the test drive and I was never given the opportunity to actually drive the car myself. We did the deal and off I went with a promise from him to ship some missing parts to me which never happened. He told me his intentions for the car were to make it a W-30 clone. He had the engine built by a "professional" builder to W-30 specs complete with an OEM W455 manifold, OAI set up and F heads. The block and trans were not numbers matching but date code correct. I was told there was less than 500 miles on the engine, which I believed because the car really wasn't totally assembled. He never represented the F heads as real and it turned out they were E heads with the bottom leg of the E ground off. He repeatedly told me the car was stripped to bare metal and a couple of quarter sized holes were cut out and patched with metal. He said he spent hours block sanding the primed body and that it was ready for finished paint. I noticed some slight blistering on the car but figured it just needed a little more finish sanding. Keep this in mind when you see the pictures later. When I brought the car back to my shop I wanted to drive it before I started tearing into it. I pulled the wheels to check the brakes and discovered they were wiped out. His ad said that the brakes were brand new. . I had the rotors and drums turned, replaced the pads,shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and one brake line. His ad also said that the body was off the frame and that all the body mount bushings had been replaced. I found two that were missing and two that were not the right size. Buyer beware definitely applied to the purchase of this car. So moving forward I fixed a bunch of crap and was getting to the point where I was going to have a body shop guy (which at the time I barely knew but now we are good buddies) figure out the story on the paint and body work. He wanted me to drive the car to his shop so I put the car together enough to drive it. The engine ran strong but the idle was all over the place. I messed around with it and tried some advice that was offered from members of this forum. Nothing I did seemed to work so the body shop guy said he would look at it when I got it over there. He's an Olds guy from way back with two 69 442's in his stable. As soon as I pulled up to his lot he said "something ain't right with that olds motor". He ran some diagnostic test and tried several things before he told me it would be better to pull the top end a part and see what is really going on. I agreed and the diagnosis was not good. Basically the motor had so much compression and the valve train was so messed up that the motor in his words was grenading from the inside out. I'll post some pics of the bent push rods, chewed up rockers, spun bearings and connecting rods later. So, now, not only do I need paint and body work but a new motor to boot.
I'll have to continue this later...I have to do a little job tonight to add to the rebuild fund. Please don't think that I'm whining about this whole ordeal. I'm just sharing with you the back story and suprisingly enough it's taking a little load off by chest. To be continued....

Rick
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM

Group therapy. That's what we're all here for.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not trying to preach, but I would've turned tail when he showed how much integrity he has:

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
He said he had a deposit from another guy but if I wanted it, he would sell it to me.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:44 PM

Oh crap Rick! Man that is not what i wanted to hear from you. If there is anything i can do to help text me, call, pm me. Bummer
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:09 PM

Here are some pics.They are sideways but when I click on them they right themselves. Let me know if they do that for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0698.JPG (3.47 MB, 475 views)
IMG_0703.JPG (4.45 MB, 423 views)
IMG_0700.JPG (1.91 MB, 357 views)
IMG_0739.JPG (1.59 MB, 332 views)
IMG_0737.JPG (2.00 MB, 346 views)
IMG_0752.JPG (1.68 MB, 323 views)
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:26 PM

Sorry to hear of your predicament, but thanks for sharing. If this thread makes one other guy think twice before buying a car without a detailed inspection it is a great service you will doing for the rest of us. Please keep the details coming.
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not trying to preach, but I would've turned tail when he showed how much integrity he has:
Brian,
I asked him several times about the deposit. He said the guy wouldn't return his calls. That doesn't make sense unless the guy fell on bad health or passed away. I'm curious whatever happened to the deposit. Maybe it was just a selling tactic to make me feel like he had an interested buyer on the hook.

Rick
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Oh crap Rick! Man that is not what i wanted to hear from you. If there is anything i can do to help text me, call, pm me. Bummer
Thanks Neeley! I'll take you up on the help when the time arises.

Rick
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM

Here's what he called new brakes.

New body mounts that don't exist.

The clutch was new. To bad he used the wrong flywheel bolt and they rubbed on the springs.

Replacement flywheel to replace the one that had teeth missing.

More to come.....

Rick
Attached Images
IMG_1004.JPG (1.70 MB, 251 views)
IMG_1005.JPG (1.78 MB, 228 views)
IMG_1012.JPG (1.68 MB, 221 views)
IMG_1026.JPG (2.03 MB, 221 views)
IMG_1150.JPG (1.67 MB, 203 views)
IMG_1247.JPG (1.33 MB, 193 views)
IMG_1354.JPG (2.04 MB, 198 views)
IMG_1283.JPG (1.66 MB, 196 views)
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Sorry to hear of your predicament, but thanks for sharing. If this thread makes one other guy think twice before buying a car without a detailed inspection it is a great service you will doing for the rest of us. Please keep the details coming.
Joe,
It's pretty embarrassing that I was taken this bad. The money aspect sucks but at least when its all said and done I'll have something to show for it, unlike my retirement fund.

Your point about making others aware is right on track. I don't mind being the poster child for bad car transactions if it brings awareness to others.

Thanks for your comments. I've seen your handy work in person (which is awesome) and respect your input.

Rick
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:41 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

X2. Reminds me of a guy who wanted a part off a car that I had already sold and was waiting to be picked up by the new owner .....the buyer would never know he said.....I told him to leave my yard and never return....hope it all works out for you
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:45 AM

I hope you did not pay more than $5-6k for that car.

When I started out in this hobby more than 30 years ago, I made a similar purchase.

The emotion of buying the car overcomes your objectivity.

With that lesson learned, I have operated on this advice:

"Buy the best car you can afford up front. It is much cheaper in the long run"
Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:46 AM

Original advertisement

Originally Posted by My442
I hope you did not pay more than $5-6k for that car.

When I started out in this hobby more than 30 years ago, I made a similar purchase.

The emotion of buying the car overcomes your objectivity.

With that lesson learned, I have operated on this advice:

"Buy the best car you can afford up front. It is much cheaper in the long run"

This is the ad for the car minus the seller contact info.

"1970 442, I took the frame off the body replaced everything, bushings, springs, shocks, brakes, drums, and a-frame. car has new tires, engine, and trans M-21. Car is a four speed with 342 positraction. Car is in primer and has been block and ready to paint, I have all the paint and clear for the car. I have rechromed both bumpers. Floors, trunk great shape and original. I have a 70 W-30 intake and red inner fenders that go with the car. I have a ton of money and time invested kid starting collage. $16,500 OBO I can also have car painted for an additional cost."

You are spot on with the emotional side of the sale. Your advise is well received.

My initial offer was $8,500. He countered and we ended up agreeing on $13.5k. (Never said I was a good negotiator.) Keep in mind I thought all this stuff he advertised was true and I was OK putting an interior in, having it painted and finding a hood for it. It came with an OEM W-25 hood put it was pretty much garbage. I did end up selling it for $250 I think. He knocked a few hundred more dollars off because his body guy ruined the dash pad by laying on a nice thick coat of high gloss paint. Once I seen the car in person I told him I would give him $12k. He did the old talk to the wife routine and said notta. He knew he had me since I had money already invested in a rental trailer, fuel and lodging. The truck I borrowed from my buddy got a whopping 8-10 miles a gallon. I think I spent about $400 in fuel,
$160 for the trailer rental, $150 for a motel and $100 between me and my son eating some crappy fast food. White knuckled the last 50 miles home through a high wind snow storm...(That may have been a sign)
Obviously I now know I paid way more than I should of but that's behind me now. I can honestly say I will never get taken that bad again.,,,never!

Moving forward >

Rick
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
72 Olds CS

just keep your eye on the prize, when the car is done it will be awesome. love the 4 speed

Like you i show up ready to rock and roll trailer et all, but i have turned around and cut my losses when i have to, particularly if the description deviates from the actual.....
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:39 PM

Here lies the conundrum:

IF you can perform ALL of the work yourself, and just invest your money in parts and materials, you MAY not go upside down too badly.

However, walk thru the cost of restoration, system by system:

Engine - $5,000

Trans/Clutch - $2,000

Suspension/Brakes/Tires - $2,000

Wiring - $1,000

Bumpers/Trim - $1,500

Cooling - $500

Interior - $3,000

Exhaust - $500

Paint/Body - Minimum of $10,000

Odds and Ends - $3,000

The list is at $28,000....and that may be conservative.

My point is it is better to buy a nice driver for more money, and you would have to put less into it to make it nice AND have some equity. Plus, it would cost you less in total.

You will probably end up spending $35,000 to $40,000 making that car really nice.

If it were a W car with paperwork, you did good....otherwise, not so much.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM

Here lies the conundrum:

IF you can perform ALL of the work yourself, and just invest your money in parts and materials, you MAY not go upside down too badly.

However, walk thru the cost of restoration, system by system:

Engine - $5,000

Trans/Clutch - $2,000

Suspension/Brakes/Tires - $2,000

Wiring - $1,000

Bumpers/Trim - $1,500

Cooling - $500

Interior - $3,000

Exhaust - $500

Paint/Body - Minimum of $10,000

Odds and Ends - $3,000

The list is at $28,000....and that may be conservative.

My point is it is better to buy a nice driver for more money, and you would have to put less into it to make it nice AND have some equity. Plus, it would cost you less in total.

You will probably end up spending $35,000 to $40,000 making that car really nice.

If it were a W car with paperwork, you did good....otherwise, not so much.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear where I'm at in the process. I have already replaced the clutch, pressure plate, T.O. bearing, brakes and exhaust. I had the drive shaft repaired, straightened and balanced. I have a freshly build 455, 30 over, E heads with stainless big valves, mild cam, stainless long tube headers, a stock intake manifold and a 800 cfm quadrajet. Brakes booster was added and now are power as well as the steering. The seats have all been upholstered, the ash wells have been skinned. I have the material for the door panels, the carpet and some other interior goodies. I'm waiting to pick up a dash pad from another CO member as soon as we can hook up. (It's 4 hours away). The car has been stripped to bare metal and all the butchery that was done before has been cut out and new metal installed. (I'll post the pics later.) It should be ready for primer in the next few weeks depending on the weather. Body shop will not paint things if it's too cold outside even though he has a heated booth. It's just the way he does things and I'm OK with that. The previous owner scratched every window being careless when he was sanding. The scratches are right along the edges and I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out to me. All the glass will have to be replaced. The front of the frame rails need to be tweaked after we get the hood bolted on. The frame guy said he won't touch it until there's a hood fitted on it. I am getting a restorable W-25 hood next week. My body shop guy said it will take a while to repair the fiberglass hood. I've seen his process and it takes a long time to let things cure properly. The end result looks really nice and is less likely to crack. The car should be on the road this summer.

This thread is a story of sorts as to what I've been through so far and where I'm going with the car. I should have started it when I purchased the car but now I'm just going to recap and get everyone up to speed. I'll try to give updates as things progress.

Rick
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:00 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
just keep your eye on the prize, when the car is done it will be awesome. love the 4 speed.
That's what I'm focusing on.

Thanks for adding to the thread!

Rick

Last edited by Cincinnati Rick; January 22nd, 2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:58 PM

Random pics of progress over the last year.

Not all these are good progress. The engine and rocker pics are the start of discovering how screwed up the engine was.

I'll try to be a little more organized with the pictures.

edit...Tim Murphy (96442murph) did the upholstery....Top notch restorer of these Oldsmobiles and others.
Attached Images
IMG_1264.JPG (2.15 MB, 196 views)
IMG_1265.JPG (1.77 MB, 185 views)
IMG_1451.JPG (1.65 MB, 199 views)
IMG_1581.JPG (3.73 MB, 225 views)
IMG_1582.JPG (2.47 MB, 234 views)
IMG_1859.JPG (1.85 MB, 221 views)
IMG_1869.JPG (2.14 MB, 206 views)
IMG_1870.JPG (1.50 MB, 201 views)
IMG_1873.JPG (2.03 MB, 207 views)
IMG_1888.JPG (1.89 MB, 199 views)
DSCF8868.JPG (791.3 KB, 197 views)
333.JPG (1.89 MB, 187 views)
DSCF8818.JPG (793.1 KB, 178 views)
DSCF8860.JPG (741.1 KB, 188 views)
DSCF8866.JPG (795.2 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Cincinnati Rick; January 23rd, 2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM

It is so frustrating when someone is that dishonest. These cars are so much fun to build and enjoy. I really hope getting it off your chest has been a therapy of sorts and you are now enjoying what the car is becoming. I have a 70 442 we will be starting the process on later this year and for me there was no promises and it needs all you are doing. But, I knew that going into it. I am looking forward to getting it there.
This kind of stuff and the shops that take advantage of people really gets to me. Shake it off as much as possible and enjoy and be proud of what you are building now.

Keep the pictures of the great work coming.

I bought my car from 2blu442 on here John is a great guy and was totally up front with me about the car I bought. That is how it should always be. I have also sold many cars and parts to many on here. It all comes out in the wash so best just be honest.

Larry
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:29 PM

Bad Stuff In Motor

Here's what we found when we tore the motor down.

I'm not very bright but I think that rod is supposed to be straighter than that..lol
Attached Images
IMG_1920.JPG (2.20 MB, 266 views)
IMG_1921.JPG (1.72 MB, 229 views)
IMG_1922.JPG (1.85 MB, 220 views)
IMG_1859.JPG (1.85 MB, 210 views)
IMG_1923.JPG (1.85 MB, 204 views)
IMG_1924.JPG (1.86 MB, 188 views)
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:48 PM

New Heads and more

Bought some refurbished E heads from Mondellos. I know hisss, hiss. The guy that built the motor said they were worth every penny.
My buddy sold me an uncut F block, crank and connecting rods for $200. He basically gave them to me right? I Ordered a new timing chain set, oil pump, Engle JM-22 cam and all the gaskets, etc. A low mileage water pump was donated as well as a cast iron intake. Thanks to Tim Murphy, a CO member for the intake.

Rick
Attached Images
IMG_1948.JPG (2.88 MB, 150 views)
IMG_1950.JPG (2.34 MB, 150 views)
IMG_1949.JPG (1.78 MB, 136 views)
IMG_1951.JPG (2.29 MB, 137 views)
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:32 AM

Keep track of your progress and your budget, and report back.

My estimate will be within 10%.

Seeing the engine pictures makes me wonder what else was done wrong.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:07 AM

Keep track of your progress and your budget, and report back.

My estimate will be within 10%.

Seeing the engine pictures makes me wonder what else was done wrong.
Your numbers are very accurate. Thankfully I've been able to do some bartering which has kept the cost down a smidge. If I had to pay full price for everything to this point it would be ugly. Doing some of the work myself has saved some $ too.
There's definetly other things that were/are wrong with the car caused by the p.o. taking short cuts. Everything will be addressed and I will have a nice street car in the end.

Thanks for following along.

Rick
Old January 23rd, 2016, 07:19 AM

looking to jump on this thread as I am starting my own restoration of a 70 442 hardtop. I hope Rick the rest of your restoration is without any hassles/problems.

Tom
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:09 AM

I wish you the best on your project.

Take your time, do things right, and you will get there.

If you get discouraged, walk away until you get your energy back.

Car restoration is a journey, and you need to enjoy every step.

If you need any help, please reach out.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:39 AM
delete

Originally Posted by tdhill01
looking to jump on this thread as I am starting my own restoration of a 70 442 hardtop. I hope Rick the rest of your restoration is without any hassles/problems.

Tom
Our cars look like twins. What are the specs?
Attached Images
P1170007.JPG (3.20 MB, 149 views)
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:51 AM

1970 442 twilight blue, white vinyl top, black bucket console interior with dual gate, cruise control, AC, defroster, hood lock, light package (rearview mirror & trunk) and power trunk release. Numbers matching engine , transmission and a posi rear end - the car had SS1s with trim rings which looked original to the car but I swapped them out for 5 SSII rims and tires instead. I had Steve Minore look it over for me - I'm hoping to find some paperwork on top of the gas tank when I go to drop it otherwise I have no factory documentation.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
delete

Great, nice set up. I have a pearl bench & column shift but its all in great shape. I have a 3.23 but it's one wheel peel. That I'd like to address. Also an AC car & factory SS1.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:52 PM

I really appreciate your words of encouragement. Thank you

Rick
Old January 23rd, 2016, 07:37 PM

Here are some pics as the car was stripped. There were places that the primer was painted right over rust. Holes were filled with Bondo instead of metal. All kinds of fun stuff. The body guy said the car had been hit bad on the right rear side and left front fender. He is doing an amazing job straightening everything out. I have a new found respect for anyone that can do this level of metal restoration. It's not a rotisserie restoration but will be very nice. The p.o. did have the body off and the frame was blasted and painted. It appears that's one thing he did right. I will do the touching up and cleaning of the frame as the car get closer to paint. Next pics will show the new metal getting installed.

Rick
Attached Images
IMG_2413.JPG (1.72 MB, 209 views)
IMG_2414.JPG (2.20 MB, 202 views)
IMG_2415.JPG (2.07 MB, 194 views)
IMG_2416.JPG (1.77 MB, 195 views)
IMG_2417.JPG (1.75 MB, 182 views)
IMG_2418.JPG (1.81 MB, 177 views)
IMG_2419.JPG (1.84 MB, 177 views)
IMG_2420.JPG (1.72 MB, 188 views)
IMG_2421.JPG (1.90 MB, 184 views)
IMG_2422.JPG (1.61 MB, 180 views)
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

......and this is why I like hangin around here....well said
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Way to make lemonade out of lemons!

And thanks for the story of your setback and subsequent recovery and making your experience a cautionary tale for the rest of us. I, for one, appreciate knowing that I'm not the only guy who has used bad judgment in a car purchase.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:25 AM

"someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny..."

Looking good Rick, and John will not steer you wrong....

LMK if I can help in anyway....

tim
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Way to make lemonade out of lemons!

And thanks for the story of your setback and subsequent recovery and making your experience a cautionary tale for the rest of us. I, for one, appreciate knowing that I'm not the only guy who has used bad judgment in a car purchase.
I figured there were others like me that had similar experiences. I guess it's all part of life.

Originally Posted by 69442murph
"someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny..."

Looking good Rick, and John will not steer you wrong....

LMK if I can help in anyway....

tim
Tim,
You've already been a big help. You were the first one to reach out to me on this forum and it has paid off. The interior work you did is so frick'in nice. The free manifold and fair prices on other parts is much appreciated. I will be getting with you in a few weeks to drop off the door panels if that's cool. Also need to talk to you about the sun visors. I can't remember what you told me we need to do with those.

I can't thank you enough for introducing me to John. He has saved me thousands of dollars getting the new motor put together and other mechanical issue worked out on the car. Not only have I gained a great mechanic and body man but also a friend. He is doing a fantastic job on the body and I know I'll have a bad *** ride when he's done with it.

Thanks

Rick
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:21 PM

Metal Work Pictures

More Pictures...
Attached Images
IMG_2466.JPG (1.57 MB, 171 views)
IMG_2467.JPG (1.38 MB, 171 views)
IMG_2468.JPG (1.75 MB, 168 views)
IMG_2496.JPG (1.34 MB, 160 views)
IMG_2497.JPG (1.12 MB, 157 views)
IMG_2498.JPG (1.08 MB, 156 views)
IMG_2499.JPG (1.42 MB, 157 views)
IMG_2500.JPG (1.21 MB, 157 views)
IMG_2501.JPG (1.31 MB, 147 views)
IMG_2502.JPG (1.31 MB, 142 views)
IMG_2503.JPG (1.35 MB, 149 views)
IMG_2504.JPG (1.28 MB, 150 views)
IMG_2505.JPG (1.30 MB, 145 views)
IMG_2506.JPG (1.61 MB, 155 views)
IMG_2507.JPG (1.29 MB, 151 views)
IMG_2508.JPG (1.37 MB, 159 views)
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:56 PM

W-25 Hood

Got a text from my buddy at the body shop today. One of his other customers is selling me his OEM W-25 hood. I haven't worked out the deal yet but the price that was mentioned is a steal. He is an older gentleman that is having his W-31 restored at the same shop that's doing mine. He is the original owner of his W-31 and the extra hood was a replacement that the dealer put on after an accident. I had to go to the shop to check it out and take some pics. I'm really excited to see the hood on my car. It's in really good shape and won't take much to get it perfect. This will be my belated Christmas present to me!

Rick
Attached Images
IMG_2510.JPG (1.81 MB, 204 views)
IMG_2511.JPG (1.83 MB, 190 views)
IMG_2512.JPG (1.84 MB, 183 views)
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking that, as much as it sucks the car wasn't what you thought, it could've been a lot worse. You could've found complete swiss cheese underneath the paint.
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:58 PM

Rick I have a fair assortment of glass, I noted that you said some was sander/grinder damaged. Let me know if I can help. PM sent too.

Brett
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking that, as much as it sucks the car wasn't what you thought, it could've been a lot worse. You could've found complete swiss cheese underneath the paint.
Right on....The guy doing the body work keeps telling me how nice the metal is on the car. He said most cars that come to him are really in bad shape. That made me feel much better.

Rick
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Rick I have a fair assortment of glass, I noted that you said some was sander/grinder damaged. Let me know if I can help. PM sent too.

Brett
Brett,

Thank you for reaching out. I'll respond to your PM

Rick
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:15 PM

Soft Ray Glass

Soft-Ray by LOF. Tinted backlight & vent, sorry vent pic is backwards. The other two are DCL Flo-lite & PPG Safety-plate of which neither are tinted. A lot of names, but if you see Soft-Ray its tinted. Hope that helps

Brett
Attached Images
IMG_0319.JPG (2.32 MB, 130 views)
IMG_0926.JPG (1.68 MB, 115 views)
IMG_0935.JPG (3.77 MB, 111 views)
IMG_0936.JPG (4.08 MB, 211 views)

Quick Reply: 1970 442 Restoration