Pics of '72 442 W30

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2012, 12:48 AM

Pics of '72 442 W30

Seen this a few days while picking up my drugs in Stoney Creek. Not sure if real 442/W30 or not.

Old December 16th, 2012, 02:23 AM

Wow, nice looking 72. Did you see the owner? If it was mine I wouldn't let it out of my sight.
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:37 AM

if you see it again check to see if there is an X in the VIN is so its real and not only nice looking but valuable.
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Fyi

For 1972 the Cutlass Supreme convertible comes standard with chrome rocker pannel mouldings. When the W-29 option 442 package is added then the chrome rocker pannels are ommited from the car.

So....why does this car have chrome rocker pannel mouldings?

A sharp looking tibute car by someone who missed one of the little details.

ps....when it is an Olds it is a TRIBUTE CAR....when it is a Chevy it is a CLONE!
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM

good catch, though I'd still check the VIN, so easy for that year anyway
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Fyi

Originally Posted by stevengerard
good catch, though I'd still check the VIN, so easy for that year anyway
The VIN will not tell you if it is a 442 or not UNLESS it is an X code car since you had to have the W-29 option or HO option to get the W-30 X code engine. So if the X is there then this is the real deal & someone added the rocker pannel trim after production....highly unlikely.

If this is a 350 powered convertible or a U or V code 455 optioned Cutlass Supreme the VIN wont distinguish it as a 442.

Good looking ride...although the rear of the car sits too high for me.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM

yeah, we could nit pick it but it is nice looking. I can't tell if its the lighting or if the top is really off-white but I really like that look against the gold car.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Good looking ride...although the rear of the car sits too high for me.
Yea, I noticed that too Dave. The exhaust seems to hang a bit below the bumper line.

Also, did anyone else notice there is no W30 stripe on the deck lid. The "eyebrows" are missing too.

Great looking car though ! I'm not a huge fan of Craiger style rims, so the car would look much nicer with some SSII wheels IMO.
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Rodney

eyebrows?

I don't understand your comment about the missing eyebrows. I thought the eyebrows were the "L" shaped pieces on the leading edge of the front fenders. What eyebrows are you referring to?
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Runner

Tribute or real... I'd drive it either way! Nice looking ride
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:19 AM

It is always amazing to me when a very nice car is shown or pics are posted, and some know it all has to pick it apart. This is a very nice looking car. Just maybe the owner likes the rocker moldings. Just maybe he really does not care what anyone else thinks he wants the car to be how he wants it. Just maybe it's a damn nice car and take it as that.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:54 AM

The picture is fake!! You can tell because it's Ontario in December and there's no SNOW in the picture! Just kidding

We've had snow off and on since the end of November up here in Northern Ontario.

Oh, and that looks like a beautiful car.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Relax

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
It is always amazing to me when a very nice car is shown or pics are posted, and some know it all has to pick it apart. This is a very nice looking car. Just maybe the owner likes the rocker moldings. Just maybe he really does not care what anyone else thinks he wants the car to be how he wants it. Just maybe it's a damn nice car and take it as that.
Nobody is claiming to "know it all". The OP wasn't sure if this is a real 442/W30 or not and people here are doing their best investigative work to possibly answer the question. Nobody here has said it isn't a nice looking car. Calm down...

Last edited by Jimmy_B; December 19th, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spell check
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
I don't understand your comment about the missing eyebrows. I thought the eyebrows were the "L" shaped pieces on the leading edge of the front fenders. What eyebrows are you referring to?

Here is a thread will help you understand what the W30 striping "eyebrows" are...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-example.html
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM

know it all *****

Originally Posted by Jimmy_B
Nobody is claiming to "know it all". The OP wasn't sure if this is a real 442/W30 or not and people here are doing their best investigative work to possibly answer the question. Nobody here has said it isn't a nice looking car. Calm down...
Exactly. That is a beutiful car....tribute car or not. It was posted as a W-30 & I simply asked why it has chrome rocker coverings....apparently that makes me a *****. Oh well. ...I'll get over it.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Rodney

Eyebrows

Originally Posted by Jimmy_B
Here is a thread will help you understand what the W30 striping "eyebrows" are...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-example.html
Thanks for the link. I never knew the trunk stripes curved downward like that.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ya know what? If that car was for sale I don't care what anyone says - I'd look at it seriously. Not many cars get to that stage of refinishing. Dave, I know what you mean about the rocker chrome - but I like it on there. Looks beautiful. I know your comments were just noting a period correct statement about 442s and CS in general. I prolly would have said the same thing.

For those of you who only noticed the car? Did you also notice that it's parked in a "handicap" stall? This could very well be one of the few joys in life the owner may still be able to enjoy.

Ken, thank you for posting those pics to start with. Sure wish you could have made it to that stage with your car.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Allan R
For those of you who only noticed the car? Did you also notice that it's parked in a "handicap" stall? This could very well be one of the few joys in life the owner may still be able to enjoy.
I noticed that right away and thought the same thing, then I looked and didn't see a plate or tag allowing the person to park there. Then I noticed something on the dash board that may be Canada's equivalent. And since I didn't take the picture I didn't want to bring it up as an issue.

Though the other day I was at a 7-11 and an able-bodied driver parked his van in the spot, the officer I was talking to told him to move the car - The driver's job is to pick up disabled people not to take their parking spaces.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Smile You are right

Steven, you are correct. In Ontario all a handicap person needs is the card that is displayed in the front window. That allows flexibility for changing vehicles without changing license plates. It's also a 5 year tag, unlike license plates. I don't know if the cars have to be registered to the person with the handicap though.

Here's what the card looks like - if you look closely at Ken's pics again you will see this in the front window.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Thanks for the link. I never knew the trunk stripes curved downward like that.
You're welcome ! To be honest, I never knew it either until I joined this forum. Great place to learn...
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM

For some having a handicap parking permit is a true blessing. They may have a very serious issue that comes and goes. It may be something that is effected by walking too much. It maybe something that for once they feel good enough to be out and about. You can not tell someones health or how they feel by a look. Be careful how you judge how someone is doing just because they can walk better today then on any other day.
I myself have a handicap parking permit, due to me having two non-curable diseases. Some days I have to use a cane. Some days I have to use my mobility cart. Some days I can do fine with holding onto a shopping cart. If I go to a mall or large department store, walking the entire store means not walking much the next day. Some days I can walk very well.
When you judge someone by their appearance you are making a big mistake. A handicap may not be visible to you. Just like being a jerk may not be visible to others. Something everyone must keep in mind. To get a handicap parking permit a doctor must verify the need in writting to the DMV.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:11 AM

I have proof that the pictures can't be real!!!

THIS is what Ontario is supposed to look like in December, not bare pavement. This is what I was doing at 05:30 this morning. I didn't even have to photo shop the licence plate to hide it.
For the record, it is my wife's vehicle. She goes to work early and the plows hadn't been out yet. She caught a drifted snow bank and got pulled in. At least she's OK, except her pride. My buddy and I used my Suburban and pulled it out. The snow was very soft, thank god (no damage).

I hope my Cutlass looks as nice as the one in the first pictures someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stuck.jpg (74.2 KB, 36 views)
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 72CS
I have proof that the pictures can't be real!!!

THIS is what Ontario is supposed to look like in December, not bare pavement. This is what I was doing at 05:30 this morning. I didn't even have to photo shop the licence plate to hide it.
For the record, it is my wife's vehicle. She goes to work early and the plows hadn't been out yet. She caught a drifted snow bank and got pulled in. At least she's OK, except her pride. My buddy and I used my Suburban and pulled it out. The snow was very soft, thank god (no damage).

I hope my Cutlass looks as nice as the one in the first pictures someday.
LOL ,, wow , what part of Ontario are you in?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:59 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
For some having a handicap parking permit is a true blessing. They may have a very serious issue that comes and goes. It may be something that is effected by walking too much. It maybe something that for once they feel good enough to be out and about. You can not tell someones health or how they feel by a look. Be careful how you judge how someone is doing just because they can walk better today then on any other day.
I myself have a handicap parking permit, due to me having two non-curable diseases. Some days I have to use a cane. Some days I have to use my mobility cart. Some days I can do fine with holding onto a shopping cart. If I go to a mall or large department store, walking the entire store means not walking much the next day. Some days I can walk very well.
When you judge someone by their appearance you are making a big mistake. A handicap may not be visible to you. Just like being a jerk may not be visible to others. Something everyone must keep in mind. To get a handicap parking permit a doctor must verify the need in writting to the DMV.
Well said. I was with a buddy the other day and we parked beside a handicap space. A middle aged woman got out and walked into the store. My buddy started to complain that she LOOKED okay, so why was she taking a spot away from somebody who really needed it!? I exclaimed to never judge a book by the cover, for she prob has a health issue(s) that is/ are not readily apparent.
The biggest problem around here is people using somebody else's car , who do not health or mobility issues, who do not remove the blue signs!

BTW, that car can be parked at my place anytime!

Last edited by sammy; December 22nd, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM

I'm up in Sudbury. We've gotten about 8-10" of snow over the last couple of days. Plus 60-70 km/h (40-45 mph) winds. It makes for some huge snow drifts.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72CS
I'm up in Sudbury. We've gotten about 8-10" of snow over the last couple of days. Plus 60-70 km/h (40-45 mph) winds. It makes for some huge snow drifts.
HA! Looks like an 'average' day out here in AB. Google our temps and be ready for a shocker. BTW, it's snowing here again today, only expecting about 2" though. (famous last words)
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM

HA! Looks like an 'average' day out here in AB. Google our temps and be ready for a shocker. BTW, it's snowing here again today, only expecting about 2" though. (famous last words)
YIKES! We'll get that soon enough here, but for now we're basking in the -5 degrees sunshine. After I dragged my wife's Honda out of the ditch I asked her if she'd be interested in moving to Arizona.
Then, I would get my Cutlass to look the the one in the OP, and drive it all year.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup I know what you mean. The Mrs. says we're moving to the lower mainland of BC in 2 years - you know the place where it snows and its gone 1/2 hour later? (except this year of course). I want an older place on a large lot (at least an acre) where I can have a large workshop.

BTW, it dumped another 4" last night and it's still snowing. Temp here this am is -19 and forecast to be -20 till Dec 27.

Can you say HO HO HO? Rotten bastage weatherpeople!!! Oh well, it is what it is. The roads here are really in crappy shape because the City is still stuck in neutral and hasn't even got sanding trucks out.....