Newbie with a Weird Hood question!

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Newbie with a Weird Hood question!

Hi all! I have been reading posts on this site for a while now, and I bit the bullet and joined!! Glad I did!!! I was good friends with a family in Needham Mass. 30 years ago who owned an Olds dealership. So I have seen every Olds muscle car made in mint condition stored in a building that they kept their collection in. At that time it was moot to get an Olds muscle car since they owned all the ones I wanted already!!! So years later I have the car I always wanted without them showing me the same one!! Here's my weird question. I have a 1969 with the 442/S hood that has the chrome inserts. The underside bracing of the hood is different from the 100s or more other hoods I have seen. Here's how, the bracing on all other hoods for 69 were not punched out at the lower half of the hood. It becomes a solid sheet of steel half way down and the indents are present, but not punched out. They did this on the 70 hood as well. The 1968 hood has the punch outs the full length of the hood. So was it is a weaker support system with the punch outs but a lighter hood? My 1969 car is one of the first ones made in August of 1968, however it has a 1969 hood with the brace punch outs on the underside support system??? I have never seen another hood like it on any other 69!!!! I was told this was a revised hood change in 68 for 69 after a week of making them. So many olds guys notice this at shows and they all have no clue why this is a one shoot deal hood. Any one else have an answer for me?? I would post pictures but I don't know how to on this site. The car is a 60,000 mile survivor without front end damage ever. Hit me with your answers. Thanx, Keith
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM

Welcome to the site. That's a new one on me.

Not too long ago we were having a big problem with spam. To stop it, we set up the Newbie section where new members can sign on and introduce themselves.

Please tell us about your car[s] and where you’re from in this thread. After you have posted 5 times you will be able to navigate the entire site. You don’t have to wait for a response to post again to make your 5 post..

It would help us lazy Mods out if you will hold off on any specific questions until you are out of the Newbie section. In this way we can keep questions and answers better organized in the appropriate threads instead of the Newbie thread getting cluttered up with various questions that Mods will have to later move to the appropriate section.

When you begin searching threads for information, you will find it helpful if the Header tells what the thread is about. i.e. If you are looking for parts, the header should read something like WTB [Want to buy] 445 “widget.”

I hope this isn’t too confusing, if you have any questions just post them here and someone will answer them.

Glad to have you on board with us.

Jamesbo
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Past Administrator

Keith, welcome to CO. We have a few members here that may know the answer to that one, I sure don't though, sorry. Looking forward to pictures and more info on your car.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Thanx for the heads up!

Jamesbo, Thank you for that info. I'm from Mass and I have a 1969 Cutlass S convert that has the parts from an early production 69 H/O crashed in the 80s. Factory white with Black interor. So it's a Clone of a 69 convert Hurst Olds. It's the only car my friend did not have!!! Though he did try to buy on of the two known at the time.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM
may the Olds be with you

welcome!