New Guy

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
'69 H/O

New Guy

Hi to all, a new guy here. Just discovered board. Nice Oldsmobile forum.

Been looking for an active Hurst Olds forum. Are there any H/O fans, enthusiasts and /or owners here? If so, wonder why there is no separate H/O segment in this forum area.

Thanks for your input.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Welcome aboard.

Sure most everyone likes H/O s and there are some owners here. Lots of good information also. What year H/O are you interested in?
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM

We must see pics NOW! Welcome to the site by the way.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
'69 H/O

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hurst Olds - I like them all and I do have a '69 that I picked up last spring. I like all Hurst stuff in general and have an eclectic interest in all BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac)muscle. Sorry, Olds64 I'll try to post some pics.

We need to get the H/O people that hang out on that Yahoo H/O board over here. Vbulletin is the only way to go for a forum. I can't make heads nor tails of that Yahoo forum. Maybe its just me. I must be stupid.

Jamesbo, I'm 99.9% sure we've met. When I saw your avatar pic and the pic in your sig, it looked real familiar to me, then putting 2 and 2 together, along with your user name, I searched through my archive image files and I found the pics. Good to cross paths with you again! Small world, especially the H/O part of it.

BTW, thank you to whoever sponsors, underwrites and/or owns this forum. Its not an easy task to keep one of these critters up and running.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 93Code86GN

Jamesbo, I'm 99.9% sure we've met. When I saw your avatar pic and the pic in your sig, it looked real familiar to me, then putting 2 and 2 together, along with your user name, I searched through my archive image files and I found the pics.
It appears you have the advantage on me.Where/when?
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Tanks fer the PM

I'm glad you found what you wanted

This really is a great forum
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM
'69 H/O

Okay, lets try this:

Old November 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Welcome, and VERY nice!
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Nice sweet, I'm glad ya figgered it out [posting pics]

What # H/O is it?

What options?

Where was it shipped to?

Here's an interesting thread posted before you joined up about a 69 H/O survivor with tons of docs.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nal-owner.html

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 12th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Past Administrator

...BTW, thank you to whoever sponsors, underwrites and/or owns this forum. Its not an easy task to keep one of these critters up and running.
It has been a hard row recently to keep this place clean, lots of effort on the part of many. Welcome to our site.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM
'69 H/O

It be Demmer #229, originally delivered to Labadie Oldsmobile, Bay City, MI on 4/24/69.

Non AC car (shucks). Has Sport Wheel, Tilt (added), Rally Pac gauges, AM-FM (added), Anti-Spin, 3.91 rears, Rear Air Shocks (orig ordered on the car).

Just added a new Legendary Interior a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the link to the original owner car. Interesting read. Extra nice documentation. It appears the car was not sold?
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Well that 3.91 would most like take me in the 1/4 mile, But I'll me cooler [w/ A/C]

Have you contacted Kurt to get his cc of the delievery paper work or do you already have it?

BTW Beautiful color combo

Now raise the hood and use that POS Nikon to show us the muscle.

We jes love pics
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
'69 H/O

Thanks for the welcomes Oldsguy and 68Tom.

Jim, I do have copies of a couple of Demmer receipts. Is this what Kurt has?

I'm glad you like my colors. I thought white with gold stripes would look good on a '69 H/O.

Unfortunately, I'm not a big picture taker. I'll try and take some pics under the hood tomorrow. The pics that I have now are several mos old showing the wrong breather, wrong alternator, wrong hoses, wrong distributor, etc.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
'69 H/O

Here's a shot from the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing back in June. The first '69 is me. The second is a local friend who convoyed along with me with his '69, and the third is Joe Fotchky's who will be hosting the 2010 H/O Club Nationals in Dalton, GA. (In your backyard Jim), which I believe is/was Linda Vaughn's hometown. In all, I believe there was 9 - 69's there and around 60 total of various year H/O's. You should have seen the crowd gather when the three of us, with identical 69's, cruised to a Wendy's after the car show. We parked right in front of the place side by side diagonally right next to the highway. People were pulling in to take pictures.

Last edited by 93Code86GN; November 12th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Cool,

Yes Kurt has cc's of the Demmer Recipts, Glad you got yours.

I've met Joe Kotchky [and his wife] once.They're very nice. If I remember correctly he got Linda Vaughn to autograph the underside of his trunk lid. But I didn't know she was from the "Carpet Capital of the World" [Dalton]

If I make it to 2010, maybe I can add another ole beat up 69 H/O.

But can we go somewhere besides Wendy's like
Chic-fil- a or some'in.

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 13th, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Past Administrator

Nice picture.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
'69 H/O

Thanks Dan...

Only reason went to Wendy's was for a cooooool Frostie. We were toast after being in the sun all day. The weather was absolutely perfect, not a cloud in the sky. What is a Chic-fil-a??? We don't have those up north.

That's Joe's wife with the white hat on sideways next to the 3rd '69 in the pic in my last post. Yes, they are very nice people (like all Oldsmobile people).

Linda was there btw at Lansing, so was Doc Watson.
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Hi

Welcome to the forum. I too have a 1969 H/O.

Is your car from Nevada or so you live in Nevada? I noticed the novelty plate and am just curious.

M'Lisa
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM

What is a Chic-fil-a??? We don't have those up north.

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#story

It's realy good fast food. Interesting enough, the founder Truett Cathy still refuses to open on Sunday. So he competes with every other fast food outlet in land cost, sales etc. and isn't open as many days, AND still knocks their d%*k in the dirt. It's a very good product.

That's Joe's wife with the white hat on sideways next to the 3rd '69 in the pic in my last post. Yes, they are very nice people (like all Oldsmobile people).

Yes, I thought I noticed her lawn chairs

Linda was there btw at Lansing, so was Doc Watson.
Another opportunity missed for her to autograph my trunk.
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
'69 H/O

Jamesbo: Well if you go to Dalton in 2010 you will get another chance because its my understanding that she (Linda) will be there. Next year the meet is at the brickyard. There will be a good turn out for that one. There will be a chance for a parade lap on the speedway.

I'll keep an eye pealed for the chic -a-flick up here in these parts.

Hi M'Lisa - Sorry to throw you off on the Nevada plate. I think there's some guy out there selling "genuine" prison made Nevada novelty plates on ebay and one of them ended up on the back of my car one day for a local car show the day I snapped the pic. I'm in upstate NY. Car is from Michigan originally. Welcome aboard. Did you go to the H/O Club National Meet in Flagstaff? I wanted to go but 2200 miles seemed out of the question with the gas prices like they were back in the summer. I went to a show in Denver back in 2005 and I remember it took 18 tanks of gas roundtrip and that was only 1800 miles a way. How long have you had your car?

Terry
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Smile

Hi.
Let me add my welcome as well.
I was at Lansing and probably asked a few questions about your car, since I spent most of my time around the 69 H/O's. There certainly were a bunch of people around that end of the row while I was there. I got mine in the spring, and it is undergoing restoration now. Yours looks great.
Eric
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Ok

69 H/O owners world wide.

Since they all look virtually a like

Tell us your cars flaws. Or but another way, What's not right with yours?

My car's are

1] My Cameo White is a little too Creamy
2] Firefrost gold hood stripe is a tad too narrow
3] my *&^^*(^(& hood won't stay up w/o a broom handle
4] modern radial tires
5] I screw up and cut the side flap on the radiator flap thing-a-ma-jig [a/c car]

I'm sure I can find more.
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
'69 H/O

Hi Eric,Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. I remember talking to a couple of guys with restorations pending/in progress. One was likely you. What stage are you at? Are you having any problems finding parts? Where are you located? When do you think you'll be done?

Jim, wouldn't that be like showing ones own dirty underwear???? HaHa. Beyond the obvious glaring issues it's always a function of how strong the magnifying glass is. Its definitely a 20/20 or better. You know, at 20 mph from 20 feet it looks pretty good!
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Jim, wouldn't that be like showing ones own dirty underwear???? HaHa. Beyond the obvious glaring issues it's always a function of how strong the magnifying glass is. Its definitely a 20/20 or better. You know, at 20 miles per hour from 20 feet it looks pretty good!
Well maybe, There's no reason not to strive for perfection even it it is unobtainable.

I used to know a pilot who washed his car before he took it into the poly coated concrete floor of his garage, But when I caught him outside one day waxing his home A/C unit. I had to laugh....... he was "over the top" IMHO

I've just personally given up on perfection and am working on excepting me and my cars for what they are.

Hopefully Fun
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
'69 H/O

Perfection....no, nothing is perfect here on earth.

Strive for excellence....yes.

I like the challenge of restoring to originality with excellence within reason. I don't mount my tires so that the valve stem ends up right between Good and year on the sidewall. I actually knew someone who did that. I enjoy the research for new information and searching for original or when not available, original appearing parts. But I'm also am not afraid to enjoy driving my cars. I've put 25,000 miles (hard to do in such a short car season up north on my '65 GTO in the past few years while maintaining a baseline strong #2 restoration look and plan to do the same with the H/O. But to each his own; I enjoy looking at untouched survivor cars and well done modified cars too but when I find myself owning one I seem to gradually take it back to original.

Btw, here's the engine compartment of the '69 H/O; There's about 3,000 miles on it since it was freshened: