Looking at 67 442

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2017, 08:23 PM

Looking at 67 442

I have had the chance to look at a 67 442 , it's in pretty rough shape. I have a few questions about the car and thought no better place to get answers than from the 442 pros.
First off , it has a 400 tri power on it. He tells me it was a special order. From what I can tell, it wasn't an option in 67?
I did get the vin number and a pic of the plate. Wondering if. You could help me decifer it.

Last thing , the car needs lots of work, 35,000 to complete it. What do these cars sell for in this condition? I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for any input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0001.JPG (2.84 MB, 167 views)
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Rocket Renegade!

1)You are correct. No GM vehicle other than the Corvette had multiple carburetors in 1967. He's either ignorant, lying or some combination of the two.

2) Do a search for "Data Plate Decoder" and feed your numbers in as directed. Works like a charm.

3) A '67 4-4-2 hardtop in strong #2 condition is probably worth about $30-35K. Could possibly just break even if you get the car for free.
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:37 AM

it appears to be a '67 442 (5V) sport coupe (33807 2dr sedan)
black w/red bucket seat interior (A-A 395-B)
400 cu.in. w/3-speed manual transmission (2B)

tinted windshield (W)
Old June 27th, 2017, 01:10 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Sorry, didn't notice you're new to the site. Welcome!
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:05 AM

Thank you for the replies, I knew this would be the right place to go. The owner of the car also says it is one of 250 made in that year, could that be true? There is also one other thing he has mentioned as a special item on the car. It has red inner fenders, he said that only came on certain models. I couldn't seem to find much information on that , other than it came on the w30 package. No I don't think this is one of those. But it would be nice to try and sort out just what this car is. Would I get any addiontional info from the vin?
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see what it looks like.
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:33 AM

Thank you

Here is a couple pics of it. From here it doesn't looks so bad. But the floors, trunk and under side are pretty much rotted out.
Attached Images
File Type: png
IMG_0004.PNG (4.05 MB, 161 views)
IMG_0003.PNG (3.81 MB, 148 views)
IMG_0002.PNG (4.03 MB, 158 views)
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, the seller has a lot of mis-information. "Special order" is the favorite way to justify a one-of-none car.

Having said this, the car in question has some interesting parts on it (though none were factory installed). As noted, the tri-carb system was only offered in the 1966 model year, HOWEVER one could purchase that setup over the parts counter and have the dealer install it (or do it in your own garage). Without documentation, one can only assume it was installed later by a previous owner. The tri-carb setup, by itself, typically sells for $3000 or so.

The red plastic inner fenders were only used on the W-30 cars in 1967. Since this is a Framingham-built car, it is NOT a W-30. Someone added these. Note that the red inner fenders are also available as repros, so are these real or Memorex?

The HD three speed manual trans was the base transmission in the 442 that year. It is rare because NO ONE wanted it and nearly everyone upgraded to the four speed or AT. This is a case of not confusing rarity with desirability.

I have no idea what the "one of 250" refers to. Sport Coupes? Three speed cars?

The non-original parts (tri-carb and red inner fenders) would actually detract from value if this car is properly restored. A totally correct 67 442 MIGHT bring $30K at a big auction. In a world where 69 H/Os are selling in the $50K range, don't hold your breath. Do not buy this car as an investment. Buy it if you want a cool project. It is a real 442.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Love the car. As said above the 3 2v carbs did not come on the 67. Are there vent tubes around the front signal light area?
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
ok, the seller has a lot of mis-information. "special order" is the favorite way to justify a one-of-none car.

The non-original parts (tri-carb and red inner fenders) would actually detract from value if this car is properly restored. A totally correct 67 442 might bring $30k at a big auction. In a world where 69 h/os are selling in the $50k range, don't hold your breath. Do not buy this car as an investment. Buy it if you want a cool project.
x-1 x-2 x-3
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If it has as much rust as you say, you need to check the frame very closely for rust. If it is rusty, that would should be a deal killer for sure unless you are getting this car really cheap.
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Definitely a major project if you are talking all floor pans/trunk area being replaced, but very doable for a real 442 restoration if you are not looking for a strong return on your investment... Otherwise, if the price is right, could be a good parts donor, 3x2 setup, red inner fender, outer sheet metal etc.....
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:50 AM

This could end up just being a great parts car. There is very little documentation on Oldsmobile cars as for how many of anything was made. As Joe pointed out it is not a w30 it is a 442. It is cool to have the tripower but it is not correct. It is cool to have the red fenders but they could be fakes and clearly the car did not come with them all W30 cars were built in Lansing.

one of 250 what? no such information for Oldsmobile. The seller is either misinformed, or made this stuff up.

Rust is a big problem and can be in places you never see.
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Rocket Renegade!

How much does he want for it, anyway?
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:17 AM

there are plenty of numbers/info out there it's a shame they are misunderstood/misrepresented & that "W-Machines" is no longer a regular on classicoldsmobile to help keep things straight

3807 = Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupe (~4,751 with L78/442)

the OPTION numbers that are out there are for the model year thru June 1967 they don't include the cars built in July at the end of the model year. 442 numbers represent 22,048 of 24,829 built (89%)

the 1 of 250 is probably in reference to the 442 coupe with 3-speed manual transmission (STANDARD with the 442 package & "RARE" because > 98% of the 442 orders had the OPTIONAL 4-speed or TH400 transmission at an additional cost around $200) , as stated above "not a positive selling point", the number 250 probably has accuracy in the +/- 25 range (in reality the number would be somewhere in the 225-275 ballpark)
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:25 AM

& the 3-speed for '67 was a Ford top-loader unit (FoMoCo) sometimes referred to as a Dearborn transmission in GM applications
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
& the 3-speed for '67 was a Ford top-loader unit (FoMoCo) sometimes referred to as a Dearborn transmission in GM applications
Actually, ALWAYS referred to as a Dearborn transmission, not sometimes. Olds never used the "F-word" in any factory documents.
Old June 28th, 2017, 03:07 AM

The seller wanted $8000 for the car. I have relayed my findings from this site to him. I'm not so sure that I even want to take on this massive undergoing anymore. I really like the car, but a big part of the draw to it was it might have been a really rare find. The seller bought the car from the original owner. He swears the guy got it from the dealership just as it is. He ordered it with the tri power. Had the dealer install it. In the end it doesn't matter cause it's not increasing the value.
Old June 28th, 2017, 03:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sgagne87
He swears the guy got it from the dealership just as it is. He ordered it with the tri power. Had the dealer install it. In the end it doesn't matter cause it's not increasing the value.
Lots of sellers "swear" a lot of things. The one certainty is that after HALF A CENTURY, memories get shaky.

Could this car have been delivered by a dealership as-is? Yes, as I noted above. One could certainly have purchased the tri-carb package and red inner fenders over the counter from the Parts Department and paid the dealership to install them. That doesn't make them factory-installed parts. The dealership would have installed a Ford motor, given enough money. People seem to think that "dealer installed" means something special (and thus valuable). Frankly, what's the difference if the dealership mechanics install a non-stock part, or if you do it?

As for increasing the value, the tri-carb increases the current value of the car by about $3K, since that's what you could sell that package for.

Is the rest of the car worth $5K? Can't tell without better and more photos.
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sgagne87
The seller wanted $8000 for the car. I have relayed my findings from this site to him. I'm not so sure that I even want to take on this massive undergoing anymore. I really like the car, but a big part of the draw to it was it might have been a really rare find.
8 G's is a little much. You would have to love this car and the project to buy it. It is a cool car being a black post car with the red interior. It seems complete and fairly solid and rot free. I could live with the 3spd trans, unusual but not an asset. The Tri Carbs would go and the red wells. A posi rear would be a plus.
Old June 29th, 2017, 06:09 AM

Welcome to the site. I finished my restoration about two years ago did a lot of the work myself. As said in prior posts it's a great car and fun project. However it's a long project so don't get bored and don't get hung up on the $30'000 cost because if you don't have the ability to do the work you'll be way over that number. Good luck and enjoy.
Old June 29th, 2017, 07:42 PM

The car is not worth 8k unless you love it.

That being said, I always tell people who ask "what's this worth restored? If I get it at X will I make money if I sell it?" no, because that question shows that they misspoke, and should have said "when I sell it" not "if." I do what I can to keep the muscle car hobby a hobby, and not a business. You restore a old car for love, for art, for bonding with family members, for sentimental reasons, for the love of history, or just because you like the style or the power.
Old June 29th, 2017, 08:34 PM

welcome

Welcome to the site Richard. Good luck with the purchase.

Dave
Old June 30th, 2017, 06:31 AM

JMO. I didn't see where the thread starter says whether the car has the original Dearborn transmission or it was replaced with a 4 speed. I'm going to "assume" it's a 4 speed. If so I think it's "worth" 8k but being the cheap *** I am I'd be around 6k but if he won't budge and I really wanted it, then 8k it is. If I had a 1966 442 I'd probably buy it for the tri-carb setup then resell it. I'd advise the thread starter to really look over the frame and all rust areas. While it's "noble" to buy an old car for the "love of the hobby" most don't purposely try to lose money. IMO, once you start nitpicking a vehicle and "informing" the owner he's wrong, you've hurt your chance of getting the car at a lower price. I have bought a "few" vehicles and after purchasing the car have the seller tell he gave me a better deal than other Olds experts that nitpicked. So, the bottom line is if you want it, make him an offer. If you have buyers remorse or it proves to much for you, then break it down, sell parts or the whole car. You should break even or maybe ahead. If you snooze you loose. Jmo.
Old June 30th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Tough call, I've grown to like the 2 door post cars over the years. However with the amount of rot underneath it may be a bucket of worms once you dig in. I'm almost certain you are the only player in this game for this car. Some flexibility on the owners part would probably net some money off.
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM

My father bought a tri-power through the Oldsmobile dealership in our hometown for our 67 442 and he has the original paperwork from them for the purchase.