i'm sure this has been asked a million times...

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM

i'm sure this has been asked a million times...

i'm looking to do a carb and intake upgrade on my 71 442, i know this has been asked thousands of times, but what will work with the ram air hood? i'm not too worried about the hood functioning because the jerk before me blew the original motor AND trans. so the motor and trans in the car arent original, they are both period correct but not original, so pretty much i have the car because i love the looks, and i want to go fast... so is there still clearence problems if i dont particularly care if the hood is functioning.
thanks
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Alot of people on our website like rebuild Quadrajet carburetors. GM got it right when they used the Rochester Qudarajet for years and years. If you are considering an aftermarket carburetor then you might want to look into Edelbrock. IMHO, they are much more streetable than Holleys.

Edelbrock also makes quite a few intakes for the SBO and BBO. The Performer, Performer RPM, O4B, and Torker are all good options for street driven cars (depending on whether or not you have a SBO or BBO).
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by luckyman15
i'm looking to do a carb and intake upgrade on my 71 442, i know this has been asked thousands of times, but what will work with the ram air hood? i'm not too worried about the hood functioning because the jerk before me blew the original motor AND trans. so the motor and trans in the car arent original, they are both period correct but not original, so pretty much i have the car because i love the looks, and i want to go fast... so is there still clearence problems if i dont particularly care if the hood is functioning.
thanks
If you're not using the O.A.I. air cleaner adapter, then the common aftermarket intakes should work. On the other hand, you get about 1 hp increase for every 7 degree drop in inlet temp, so why wouldn't you want the hood to be functional?
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM

you get about 1 hp increase for every 7 degree drop in inlet temp
WOW! Just imagine the HP gain an astronaut would get if he had a ram air hood and was driving an Oldsmobile in outer space.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Yes, but as I found out, you will start breaking motor mounts at around -15 degrees farenheit
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM
dar83501

the fun thing about breaking motor mounts, is to take really sharp corners and then listen to your fan grind away at the shroud