how much to restore a 68 442 convertible?

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by agtw31
a good strip and paint runs you 5k.

this car needs metal work,too.

he would have 10k tied up in this car,and he hasnt even got under the hood or in the interior yet.

and that would make it a driver.

btw,why would you take a car to barrett if you know youll have to buy it back if you dont like the bid?
As I said I haven't seen any photos of the car to know what it needs, but I see a lot of people spend a lot of money on cars they shouldn't have.
Also why would anyone take a car to an auction knowing the conditions of the sale and buy back their own car. I think if that was the case you might as well put in on eBay with a reserve and stay home!
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
is Fast Enough ...

If you have a shop/garage you can save a bunch ...

I'm in a condo and i have to farm stuff out. It probably cost me 50% more and I am always happier with my work than others...

Going up to Canada and doing major work with my brother was a gas ...
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM

OK, Maybe some things need to be done to get the car sellable. I would try to figure out where the best bang for the buck would be. Maybe have the seats re-appholstered and a new carpet installed. If you could install the carpet and take 4 bolts out of the floor that hold each seat and drop the seats off somewhere with a interior kit the car would look alot different and more sellable. This probably would cost $1500 but the car would look completely different.
I would also consider getting some repair panels welded on and then have the car primed. The metal work is less time consuming than finishing work and might be a huge factor in someone buying the car. Get a couple estimates to get the body roughed in. If you do things right you might even make a few bucks on the deal.
It is a real 442 convertible...don't bail out now. Think it over, do as much as you can without spending alot of money.
Even if a guy was to do a full restoration on his own he would be lucky to make a few bucks an hour when the car is finished.
Hang in there
Dave
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by hamrick1229
you have some really valid points... that is NICE car ...not sure what im gonna do...should just restore it and not worry about it that is why i bought it....
Everybody needs a hobby. You could fix the car as your budget dictates and plan on enjoying it during the fix up stage. Remember, if you can do most of the work yourself you'll be better off. On a resto, you'll never get back the labour you (or someone else) put into the car. You have two choices:

1. Sell it now and try to make a profit ot just get your money back
2. Fix it up and enjoy it

Good luck.
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
Also why would anyone take a car to an auction knowing the conditions of the sale and buy back their own car.
if you were selling a car at barrett jackson with no reserve,and your high bid was half of what you had in the car,you will be the winning bidder,and pay their 16%,rather than lose your *** on the car.
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM

thanks for all of your input...decided to eat it and just do it..its gonna cost a ton but it is what i wanted...been knee deep in parts... thats why i have not updated...but in my mind when its done it will be worth it..the frame turned out to be in great shape...i thought it would be alot worse...but car is comming along ...it is stripped down,,,now ..engine will be done in about a week along with tranny...interior has been redone sitting in garage waiting to go home ...bumpers are done...its really going smooth...so far.. almost all the parts have come in...just had a little trioble finding everything,,,but i'm getting there..need a good deck lid if anyone knows of one? anyway just wanted to update..when its all said and done ...only i could answer if its worth it...and so far it is!
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:10 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by hamrick1229
thanks for all of your input...decided to eat it and just do it..its gonna cost a ton but it is what i wanted...been knee deep in parts... thats why i have not updated...but in my mind when its done it will be worth it..the frame turned out to be in great shape...i thought it would be alot worse...but car is comming along ...it is stripped down,,,now ..engine will be done in about a week along with tranny...interior has been redone sitting in garage waiting to go home ...bumpers are done...its really going smooth...so far.. almost all the parts have come in...just had a little trioble finding everything,,,but i'm getting there..need a good deck lid if anyone knows of one? anyway just wanted to update..when its all said and done ...only i could answer if its worth it...and so far it is!
glad to hear

you should start a documentation with pics in the major builds section
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM

keep it moving

check it out guy i feel you got a gold nugget you have a million ways to attack this, pieces for this car are every where u want it original diffrent story me personally had no interrior at all put to chevelle buckets got a estimate for3,500 black itilian leather coustom interior even do the door panels 10 years from now you you have this car restored or not you got gold not many made you have really the last of the best of the best crackigs list has alot of parts and e bay motors so go out side look at your car and love it ina world of lets go green you went bown so keep it moving lol good luck