Fuel pipe to carb issue

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2021, 07:11 AM

Fuel pipe to carb issue

I am installing the factory carb on my 68 442 and am having clearance issues. I have three of the long fuel inlets that I believe to be the factory style I have tried using a reproduction fuel line from inline tube. Currently the tube hits the thermostat housing and will be wedged there if I try to run it this way. Has anybody run into issues with these fuel lines from inline? Most of there reproduction stuff is top notch from my experience. Also can anybody advise as to which should be correct for a 68 442? I have attached a photo of the three inlets I have and they are all quite different. Thanks, Brian
Old July 1st, 2021, 07:26 AM
69 Cutlass S

I had no luck with Inline for my pump to carb on my 350. Way off.
Classic Tube was much closer.
Old July 1st, 2021, 08:41 AM

Do you have any idea which of the inlet fittings is original?
Old July 1st, 2021, 11:01 AM

My '68 had the one with the groove like your center pic. Don't use a thick nylon washer to seal the fitting, most good rebuild kits have the thin coated metal washer. The nylon ones can leak. I got my fuel pipe from Fusick, it's tight at the t-stat housing but it fits fine.

Old July 1st, 2021, 11:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are two styles of inlet fittings, the 7/8" thread and the 1" thread.
Early carbs usually use the 7/8" style where the seal washer goes directly under the hex.

Later carbs use the 1" thread where the seal washer goes on the very inboard end of the fitting. You cannot swap them - only one style will fit the carb body. Grooves and such are irrelevant.

Old July 1st, 2021, 06:00 PM

I helicoiled mine and now have the stuff for the 7/8 size. The issue I appear to have with the one that has the groove is the o d of the smooth area that slides inside the body. It looked like it was an interference fit and I didn't want to pull my fresh new helicoil out trying to tighten it. I contacted Fusick this morning and they didn't say that they get theirs from Inline Tube, but, he advised me not to purchase his wink wink.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 05:45 AM

I had to heli-coil mine also (as is common with the 7/8 size). I have the same fitting on mine & it should still screw in by hand with little resistance even with the heli-coil. That smooth "lip" at the end of your fitting shouldn't be a problem, As long as you got the coil in straight, it cleared 7/8 thread before it should clear the heli-coil threads now, they're the same size. I have repaired quite a few Q-jet fuel inlets over the years & have never had a problem with the Heli-coil repair. I'd be more worried about pulling out the heli-coil using the bottom fitting in your pics since it only has 4 threads!
Old July 2nd, 2021, 09:56 AM

I’m not sure which fuel inlet I am using but I have no interference on my pump to carb line. It’s a 68 455 with an inline tube pump to carb line. I installed the line to the fuel pump and the carb loosely with the carb unbolted. Then I bolted everything down. Couple things to check, do you have the 68/69 style fuel pump, the fitting that the carb line connects to is angled different then the 70 and up pumps. Also I’m not even sure if it’s possible but maybe the line is installed backwards. As you can see in my picture I have plenty of clearance near the thermostat housing.

Old July 2nd, 2021, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
As you can see in my picture I have plenty of clearance near the thermostat housing.
Yeah, but we can also see that you have an aftermarket intake, which may or may not have the carb in the same place as on the OP's engine.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, but we can also see that you have an aftermarket intake, which may or may not have the carb in the same place as on the OP's engine.
Good point Joe. I only mentioned that because when I first tried to install the line I had it backwards and it was running into the thermostat housing.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Good point Joe. I only mentioned that because when I first tried to install the line I had it backwards and it was running into the thermostat housing.
Yeah, and that's certainly a possibility.
Old July 4th, 2021, 06:59 PM

Gentlemen, Thanks for the input. I took the inlet with the line, cleaned it, and installed it. It worked with some persuasion. It was the shortest of the three. I probably have about 3/16 of an inch when all is said and done.
Old July 5th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Glad to hear it worked out for you! The fitting with the groove is the shortest one, that's why I posted the pic of my '68 carb for you. I also have an original untouched 49K '69 "250" carb that has the same fitting. My car's not so bad now as I'm running an old Edelbrock O4B intake, which raises the carb high enough so the clearance isn't an issue with the t-stat housing like it was with the factory iron intake. Luckily, with a little tweaking, I was still able to use Fusick's fuel pipe with the Edelbrock. Also the top fitting in your pics appears to be the solid brass parts store replacement type, they work fine also. We used to sell the crap out of them & the self tapping ones back when I worked for Napa in the late 70s .