Finally... PA to NC - 70 442 W30

Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM

W Z exhaust manifolds.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM

Pretty sure you're not going to find a build sheet on the gas tank of a Lansing-built car. That's a more common occurrence with Fremont/Arlington cars.

Terry
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:33 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by vette442 View Post
Pretty sure you're not going to find a build sheet on the gas tank of a Lansing-built car. That's a more common occurrence with Fremont/Arlington cars.

Terry
I had someone mention that in the other thread, so I won't be disappointed. Fuel tank coming out anyway to check how clean it is. Doesn't look like that bad of a job to get it out.

So where could this build sheet be? I already checked under part of the carpet, under the rear seat, in the front seat backs (although not fully removed, couldn't figure out how to get the top part off...), and also throughout the trunk area from inside the trunk *hard to truly get a great view inside those holes...and also checked the glove box.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:10 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

uh

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30 View Post
Thanks Brian. Well, the grand finale has come. Here is what I came up with. Block stamp matches last digits of VIN, so it has the original block, I'm keeping that pic private, as it will reveal the full VIN when you combine it with a previous post I had.

However, as suspected...the transmission is out of another car, possibly his Hurst. I didn't bother to look for the vin on the case after revealing the OH tag. So I'm somewhat disappointed, but I also knew this was probably coming.

Here are the pics:

Long shot... but I would try and find the mother of the UH maybe by the partial vin on the tag. You never know with your luck u may locate the lost OW that was swapped in and parked in the Hurst Olds. Sure "mother" would like her original trans back too.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:40 PM

So where could this build sheet be? I already checked under part of the carpet, under the rear seat, in the front seat backs (although not fully removed, couldn't figure out how to get the top part off...), and also throughout the trunk area from inside the trunk *hard to truly get a great view inside those holes...and also checked the glove box.
Lansing build sheets are unicorns from what I have seen. I have not ever seen that I can remember and most of the lifetime Olds guy say they do not exist. If yo do find one, have it insured and locked in vault!
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
344879M363895

Yes, I'm not too certain I'll find a build sheet, but I never thought I would find the broadcast card either. If there ever was a car that should have one in it, this is a good candidate vs a junkyard find.

Posting all further updates in this thread: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rear-seat.html
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks Terry!

I didn't bring many of the extras in the garage. Lots of SSI wheels, probably 4 complete sets are still there. I kept the SSIIs that were there as there was only one set. There are still a few transmissions around, although most of those are truck transmissions according to another mechanic who made a visit there a few weeks ago. Lots of tools and tool chests. Plenty of hiding places. Heard there is a set of rear end gears around somewhere from one of his old friends, but have been unable to locate.

There are a few boxes of stuff that I have to go through yet. Got an extra OAI air cleaner so that's a plus.
Very nice W-30 and story behind it. Hopefully it will be shed with 14 or 15 inch rims again. The 16 and up diameter rims just do not look correct on these cars. There are many 15" tire sizes available or repro 14" belted bias ply tires in various sizes. Did the W-30 originally have wheel well trim?
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:30 PM
344879M363895

Was reading back through my previous threads and wanted to update this in case some are interested in the car and reviewing everything I had to say about it.

Obviously I was wrong on the power brakes and this car is a true 4 speed car. Well, not currently, but it was from the factory. You can review my more current posts and see how I discovered it all with the help of everyone here.

My assumption was that it had power brakes, saw the power steering pump and just assumed since it had power steering that it had power brakes too. I really didn't know what to look for on the brakes. But eventually I was pointed in the right direction. I would have known right away had it been a running car and I was able to drive it.

Not trying to bump this, but I just wanted to inform and let any prospective buyer know that I was obviously wrong about the brakes, that's all. My bad.