Dual gate question.

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Dual gate question.

I found this dual gate set-up on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697326841...84.m1423.l2649
Has anyone on here used this before? I want to go to a dual gate set-up and I'm exploring all options right now. Any help would be great.. Thanks, Dave
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
"Car"mudgeon

There are good/bad things said about them here. Parts are great, but customer service is well sub-par to say the least. Do a search here on The Parts Place and use your judgement.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM

I never had a problem with The Parts Place. Its always a smooth transaction when i order my parts thru their website.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Getting all the parts together in a kit would be simpler. But it looks like the GTO dual gates are cheaper than the Oldsmobile application. If your customizing the car, could you use one from a GTO and either splice it into a Cutlass console or fabricate a console? If you save a couple hundred dollars (or more) would it be worth the time to put something together yourself? Just an idea. John
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM

That is a very good question. Can I use the gto dual gate and just use my own console? I need to find another 68 console which I have been looking for and not a very easy thing to do, (I am told) that console was only made in two years 68 and 69. Or I could use the gto shifter and buy the aftermarket console from them. Looking at the console it looks like you have to fabricate the existing storage compartment in the center console to make it all tie together? If that is the case I will just find another console and fabricate it to fit a dual gate shifter. I like to stay stock wherever I can.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Others have stated the console is thin and needs to be re enforced I would look at one
and see if you can run it up and down a lot of money I dont know if it is worth it. what I mean is YES they look cool
but not fool proof and you can still mis a shift .

Last edited by firefrost gold; May 6th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Others have stated the console is thin and needs to be re enforced I would look at one
and see if you can run it up and down a lot of money I dont know if it is worth it. what I mean is YES they look cool
but not fool proof and you can still mis a shift .
Which console are you talking about? gto or cutlass? I am not putting it in there to "look cool" I would like the hurst shifter for better times. I am also putting a rev limiter so i don't screw anything up while learning how to use the dual gate. I am new to olds but not new to driving. Every car i have ever built for racing has been a manual transmission. Whether it was for auto cross or strictly for quarter mile times. Sorry if I was confusing in the earlier post? Also, just got off the phone with parts palce and that is for a bench seat. I have buckets in mine That console won't work for me. thanks, dave

Last edited by davidstereo; May 7th, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Left last sentence out
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I am using one of their dual gates in mine. It's just like a new one and uses nos parts to put them together. The parts place bought out Hurst or whoever had them to build these. Matched up with my old original, it is exact. The Parts Place is good, as long as you don't have to talk to anyone.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM

The kit and console you posted is a Hurst olds set up . The console has been reviewed as thin and needing support when you bang shift a dual gate you put side pressure on the dual gate and that is hard on the console and even the thicker stock one's cracked at the screw holes have seen some busted all up .
I dont think it will help shift any better than a column shifter would . It is not like a v gate shifter with huge rods and heim joint shifter linkage vs old bent rods with plastic bushings and cotter pins on a four speed I would sit down and run one up and down the shifting gate and try one first before you spent money one one Thats all I meant . A set of lightning rods might work for you too. For less money you can get a new quarter stick from Hurst . Give them a a google here is two for you to check out.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...oEz7Djtv_qxAHghttp://www.google.com/url?<br /> <br...n3p_fofwP4hp5Q
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
interior.jpg (68.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by firefrost gold; May 7th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I like that quarter stick. I would like to be able to put it in D (when im driving and feel lazy) I may just get one of their v-matic 2 shifters been reading some good things on those too. Thanks for everything. I'll let you know what I end up doing.