Correct style high pressure power steering hose '70

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Lance

Correct style high pressure power steering hose '70

Which crimp style was originally used on the assembly line issued high pressure power steering hose in '70?

Does anyone have what they believe is an original assembly line issued high pressure hose from a '70 for reference?

This is The Parts Place offering
PARTSPLACEHOSE_zpse13c8ac3.jpg

This is Inline Tube offering
inlinetubehose_zps7ba19b32.jpg

NOS part that was on ebay about a year ago, but this may be a service replacement part that differs from the original assembly line issued style?
NOSSAGINAWPOWERSTEERINGNOS_zps2e42d7b1.jpg
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM

For what it's worth on your hunt, I noticed my original high pressure hose had a lengthwise orange/reddish line on the rubber.
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM

I'm interested in the answer to this question, too, and would really appreciate if someone with an original 1970 power steering hose would post pictures.

For what it's worth, in the drawing in the 1970 Assembly Manual (section 9, page 126), the crimps look most like those of the InLine Tube hose, but not identical. I realize such a detail was not the intent of the Assembly Manual, but you know the draftsmen were working from real parts, and in my experience their drawings are pretty accurate.

It's worth noting that something like a power steering hose might be sourced from more than one vendor, and different vendors might have used different crimps. So it wouldn't surprise me at all to see different original hoses, especially if the cars came from different GM plants.
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Hosed

I feel this one is untouched, 62,000mile car sitting for past 15+ years...I can get more pic's if anyone wants.

Brett
Attached Images
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:31 PM

I'll throw some not-so-solid fuel on the fire:

Over the years I've collected photos of supposedly unmolested 1970 cars (mostly W-30s) from online auctions, message boards, etc. I just looked through photos from 21 cars. For five of them the power steering hose was clearly visible. One of them looked like the NOS hose posted by Rocket Vapor (which is also what that posted by Paladin31 appears to be). The other four looked like what's shown in the Assembly Manual.

I can't personally vouch for any of these being original, but in the pictures they all appeared to be of the age and miles claimed for their respective cars.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Lance

Thanks guys for the help and input!

If any of you have some reference photos to add to this thread for future reference, that would be very helpful!

As always, thank you for your help!
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:39 AM

This is the original from my '71 CS. It cleaned up nice and the rubber appears to be in good shape, no cracks or hardening. I'll probably reuse it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:22 AM

Here is mine from a 70 W-30. I purchased the car in 1978 and have not touched the PS hoses.

PShoses.jpg

Originally Posted by BlackGold
I'll throw some not-so-solid fuel on the fire:

Over the years I've collected photos of supposedly unmolested 1970 cars (mostly W-30s) from online auctions, message boards, etc. I just looked through photos from 21 cars. For five of them the power steering hose was clearly visible. One of them looked like the NOS hose posted by Rocket Vapor (which is also what that posted by Paladin31 appears to be). The other four looked like what's shown in the Assembly Manual.

I can't personally vouch for any of these being original, but in the pictures they all appeared to be of the age and miles claimed for their respective cars.
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
This is the original from my '71 CS. It cleaned up nice and the rubber appears to be in good shape, no cracks or hardening. I'll probably reuse it.
Thanks for posting the picture. But people should be warned that 1971 used a different part number than 1970 (though I can't tell you how they differ).
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Sorry, I just assumed 70,71,72 were the same. I can remove the pic if you want. I wouldn't mind.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:49 AM

There's no need to remove any photos; all information is useful. Just has to be taken in context.

Even if 1971 used the exact same part number as 1970, they could come from different manufacturers and have different crimps. The same could be true within one model year.

The only way to know exactly what the original parts looked like is to remove them from your own car. Second choice is to observe unmolested cars which were built near yours in the same plant. Third choice is to relax, crack a beer, and not obsess so much.
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM

Hmm....I'll take door number 3