Carlisle, PA. Spring 2009. should I go?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Carlisle, PA. Spring 2009. should I go?

Apr 22 - Apr 26, 2009
I'm sure the first answer is yes, you should go. Treat me like the newbie I am and fill me in on a few points:

1. Is it more a parts swap than a car show?
2. How deep into the car are the parts?
3. Prices? Good, high, low. End of the meet deals?
4. The tough parts, diff carriers, Tic Toc Tacs, fender wells, NOS and OEM?
5. Best days, early or late?
6. Best local lodging?
7. Best local bar/food.
8. Best dealers in the 68-69 442 parts department?

Thanks and see you there.
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Past Administrator

I have never been there but if it was within driving distance, I had the money to do it, and it offered a chance for me to get some parts and see a few nice cars, I would go. But then I stood outside in February freezing weather in mid Missouri waiting to get into a car show once, just to find out there were no parts I needed there. But it was still fun.
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4fortwo
Apr 22 - Apr 26, 2009
I'm sure the first answer is yes, you should go. Treat me like the newbie I am and fill me in on a few points:

Oh yeah. We usually get there at 7:00 am and finally leave the fairgrounds at 7:00 pm.

"deep"??

If you can't find a part at Carlisle, you don't need it.

Most sellers know what their stuff is worth, but every so often you get a deal. I've bought a pair of 455 manual trans cranks for $50, a 455 short block for $50, decent 70 front fenders for $100/pr.

...are priced accordingly, usually.

Wed/Thurs for best selection, late Saturday or Sunday for best prices on what's left.

6. Best local lodging?
...is already sold out for Spring.

7. Best local bar/food.
We always stop at Vinny's on the way out of town for Italian:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...05385519038992

Well, Fusick is always at Spring and Fall. E&G is there. There are several others whose names escape me right now. I'm amazed at the amount of Olds parts I find, though most are pricey.

In that case, plan on going on Saturday, because I always go on Friday and I don't want anyone else grabbing all the good deals on Olds parts...
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I usually go spring and fall.
1. Its a huge swap meet ware good shoes its 15 miles of walking.As for a car show, the car carral is like a show i would guess about 1500 cars for sale every make and model you can think of.
2. Don';t understand the question
3. some guys know what they have some don't. Pick up a set of NOS F-85/W-31 grills for $50. One guy had 4 sets of C heads for $20 a set but I was two lazy to carry them out.
4. You can usually find what your looking for but sometimes the $ are not right
5. I go early Wed&Thurs.
6. I pay $20 to camp/park over night in my van 50 feet from gate 7
7. don't hit the local scene after walking 20+ miles I grab a bite at the food court(good food by the way) and crash for the night
8. fusicks always there and you just have to have a keen eye while your walking.
If you've nvere been there its definitly worth the trip a least once. JKaz
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Maybe I should take a ride out
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM

carlisle

i went there this year theres alot of parts, they have everything, tons on cars for sale, i found a door for my 70 cutlass, paid$275 no rust, 1 repaint, since nobody makes a full skin for it, i found only one other at dvap-(arizona) for $450 plus shipping, was worth the trip, also ordered stuff from fusik 2 weeks before and picked it up at carlisle, and saved on the shipping. take the trip its well worth it.
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Apr 22 - Apr 26, 2009

6. Best local lodging?
7. Best local bar/food.

Ok Carlisle is like Meca for car people. It is only a parts swap and car coral. You can buy anything you want. Spring and fall are so packed people rent their yards to people to sell parts and cars. How deep into the car are the parts? Prices are usually pretty good. The cars in the car coral can be pricey. There is lot's of dealing to be had. The ChopTop wagon we got we bought at spring Carlisle. Guy was asking $4000 I think and we got it for $2500. I think he would have taken $2000 but I wasn't going to insult the guy offering that low. We always go on saturday because some vendors close up early on sunday. As far as lodging there is some but I haven't stayed there. Only live 2 hours away. Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
'69 H/O

Previous posts covered it. Do your self a favor and go. You won't be sorry. I try to go to both (spring and fall) every year whether I'm looking for anything special or not. I love the sights (cars and parts), the sounds (V8 exhaust rumble), the smells (Italian sausage, fried dough, french fries, exhaust fumes), the people (fellow car nuts).
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

6. Best local lodging?
...is already sold out for Spring.

In that case, plan on going on Saturday, because I always go on Friday and I don't want anyone else grabbing all the good deals on Olds parts...
Thanks for the replies.

Joe, just got a room at Econo Lodge for $74/night 20 minutes away and booked Thursday thru Sunday, so arrive early!!!!

Thanks again.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the replies.

Joe, just got a room at Econo Lodge for $74/night 20 minutes away and booked Thursday thru Sunday, so arrive early!!!!

Thanks again.
Look forward to seeing you there. To be honest, I live 90 minutes away, so I never bothered to check lodging. Several of us meet up at the McDonalds in Carlisle at 6:30 for breakfast before going in.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM
"me somebody" site member

I try to go to at least one of the swaps (fall or spring) each year. This past spring, I found an NOS headlight bezel for my '65 Jetstar I (same as Starfire, and NOT an easy piece to find). Its finds like that that make the trip worthwhile. And then ther's the car corral...sure, there are the overpriced cars and the abominations, but usually there's more than a few cars there that make you smile. Its almost always worth the trip, if for no other reason than the spectacle of it.