70 OAI springs and tabs-correct or no??

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
bil

70 OAI springs and tabs-correct or no??

Two cars at two shows-is either correct? If so,which? (the prize is getting the answer) ---bil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sept19 2010 022.jpg (60.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
sept19 2010 319.jpg (76.9 KB, 125 views)
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM

both are wrong, though the tab on the lreft looks like it is the correct tab, but is mounted upside down and should be without the triangle hook on it. The assembly manual does not show that metal loop. The picture on the right is correct for a non-oai car a strap would go through that whole in the tab to hold the harness in place just like the one on either side of it. Not sure there are supposed to be three tabs on that side

Last edited by stevengerard; September 29th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:41 AM
bil

Thats what I thought.Any pictures of the correct one? Thanks. ---bil
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Inline tube has an image of it in their catalog it is a PDF you need to download but also has a picture of the correct page of the assembly manual in the background of the image
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
BobsW32

Steve

The vacuum line that goes to the Outside air motor should have a white stripe on it.... If you don't have it I have some........

I sent you the TCS stud, washer, bracket, switch, and nut Should arrive on Friday...... I am going to Denver today will be back on Tuesday.

If you need any other help just hollar....

Bob
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
...though the tab on the lreft looks like it is the correct tab, but is mounted upside down and should be without the triangle hook on it...
Correct. The whole reason for the little fingers on that tab is to clip over the metal line to the vacuum modulator on AT cars. It most certainly does not hold a triangular wire clip like that.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bobsw32

The vacuum line that goes to the Outside air motor should have a white stripe on it.... If you don't have it I have some........

Bob
I thought I had one of those, I will check tonight in my pile of "to install soon" items

Originally Posted by Bobsw32
I sent you the TCS stud, washer, bracket, switch, and nut Should arrive on Friday...... I am going to Denver today will be back on Tuesday.

If you need any other help just hollar....

Bob
Thanks so much!!!!
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Correct. The whole reason for the little fingers on that tab is to clip over the metal line to the vacuum modulator on AT cars. It most certainly does not hold a triangular wire clip like that.
Joe, you got me thinking about "the whole reason." You're right in that the original design intent of these fingers/tabs/ears was to hold the steel vacuum modulator line. I see this in the 1968 assembly manual.

But by the time through-the-hood OAI came around in 1970, Olds Engineering repurposed the ears. The 1970 assembly manual shows that the vacuum modulator line simply gets grouped along with other vacuum hoses and wires, all of which are then held in place with a plastic strap which had a button which pressed into the center hole on the valve cover clip. Meanwhile, the manual shows the OAI hold-down springs are to be attached to the inside of the ears -- right where the vacuum modulator line used to run. Finally, in 1970 the non-OAI cars used valve cover clips without the ears -- so their vacuum modulator line obviously couldn't clip there.

I'm Not trying to pick nits here. I just found this topic interesting, since I never really picked up on the fact that pre-1970 cars actually used those ears to hold the vacuum line.
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Brian, I'm glad you clarified actually..... as I was looking at the assembly manual and saw what you did as well and was wondering if I was now missing something else on my engine that could not be found in the engine manual or assembly manual (vacuum modulator). phew.....