442 Found In woods. Worth Restoring???

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
I like old trucks but am full up on projects. Plus I don't buy anything without a currently valid clear title. Neither should you.

Some good things about old trucks, if they were farm trucks they usually have low miles. The sheet metal is thick enough to work the dents out of and it takes rust a long time to eat it up. The running parts are heavy duty and not subject to breaking or wearing out quick. Done right they can be very cool. On that Chevy, if its a 1-ton the cab will be the same as a pickup and likely so will the hood. The engine is most probably the 216 cid of which Chevy made millions for trucks and for cars so no shortage there and a newer 235 six cyl is a drop in with just a little work. The glass is all flat so no problem finding it like some curved glass vehicles and if you want it short for driving around town its easy to cut both the frame and bed behind the wheels or if you want a really short wheelbase its easy enough to section the frame, shorten driveshaft etc. and keep the proportions right.

Most back then did not have a VIN. The truck titles/registrations usually used the number on the engine on the passenger side on a milled flat near the distributor if I remember correctly. after about 1951 or 53 there was a stamped number of a plate in the door jamb on drivers side. If the engine was changed out things got confusing. Whatever you do, car or truck, I'd never purchase one without a clear title in the name of the seller and bill of sale that the state you live in will accept. I've learned that the hard way over a couple of dozen hot rods I've built in the last 40 years. Once you buy one without a clear title the seller has lost all incentive to look for that "lost title" or help you obtain a clear title etc. Its all your problem and in some states even the junkyards can't/won't take them without a title.

Where I live in the State of Washington you can apply for a lost title but it can be up to a two year process with no guarantee particularly if you don't have an old registration or the vin or a if its a pre-vin year vehicle, a metal tag with some distinguishing number the manufacturer used to identify individual vehicles. The laws vary a lot from State to State but no State has an obligation to issue you a title in your name when you don't bring them a valid, signed title in the seller's name.
Jerry
I might look into this. He said I can have anything on the farm for free. so even if i cant get the title its not gonna cost me anything. Ill have to go back out and take a closer look at it. Maybe call my local dmv and see what they say about the title situation. Thanks for your input!!
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ryneves
Isn't there a vin tag on drivers side inner door jam ? Little silver tag with 2 rivets.
If your talking about the 442 I believe that was only on the 65 model year. but i could be wrong. unfortunately i cant get the driver door open. the linkage has fallen off and with all the stuff in the car i cant get to the linkage as of right now. Thanks though!!
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:01 PM

I know I'm late to the party on this one. But I would first dig it out of the berry vines and clean it up before deciding what to do with it. I do see at least a few hundred in parts, depending on their condition. I don't know what part of the country your in but if the body doesn't have a lot of cancer there may be a good shell there.

The old timers here will remember the photos of a cut up 1968 442 that I once drug home. Yeah it was ugly, but after a close inspection it was well worth saving from the crusher.

John
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:11 PM
W30

Dont know the condition of the blazer.
The full convertible ones can go for some money. You can sell the front windshield header if not rusted for some good coin.
There was a blazer around here that i saw and sait this thing is toast..sold for 4k
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by truckman5000
Dont know the condition of the blazer.
The full convertible ones can go for some money. You can sell the front windshield header if not rusted for some good coin.
There was a blazer around here that i saw and sait this thing is toast..sold for 4k
I'm going to take more pics of the blazer and the Chevy truck. I'm probably going to take the truck. The blazer if it's in good enough condition I may also take but not anytime soon. Besides I'd have to move the 442 and the SS out of the way to get the blazer put. Which is no small task. The truck on the other hand is out in the open and will be fairly easy to winch up on the trailer. Especially if the wheels are not locked up. It's complete and I think will be the easiest to restore. And the cheapest. The 442 on the other hand I think I'm going to part out. I'll take more pics of the parts and I'll list them on this site.
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:08 PM

If you part out the 69 Olds, I would be interested in ALL of the remaniing 4 speed parts, as in clutch/brake pedal assembly, any linkage associated with it. The trans tunnel shifter hole.
Steve
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
If you part out the 69 Olds, I would be interested in ALL of the remaniing 4 speed parts, as in clutch/brake pedal assembly, any linkage associated with it. The trans tunnel shifter hole.
Steve
I'll take pics as soon as I can get out there again. I know the pedals and stuff are still there but I don't think any shift linkage is. But I'll let you know.
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:54 AM

You guys are killing me.That olds is perfect to make a drag car out of. Resto no. The 68chevy vert is worth taking also. That tractor is worth some cash. Blazer is worth taking. That old chevy flat bed looks like maybe worth getting. Wished i was closer i would help get that stuff out of there.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
You guys are killing me.That olds is perfect to make a drag car out of. Resto no. The 68chevy vert is worth taking also. That tractor is worth some cash. Blazer is worth taking. That old chevy flat bed looks like maybe worth getting. Wished i was closer i would help get that stuff out of there.
This all may be true but I'm not gonna clutter up my yard with projects. I have a buddy that is thinking about getting the 442 I'm going to take the truck. The rest... Probably just going to sit there. I may buy some tarps and cover them up good. One day I may come come back and work on the rest but I just don't have the room for them. It's gonna cost me atleast 100 bucks to begin with to get the 2 that I want out already. I'll keep you updated with more pics as we pull them out.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That olds is perfect to make a drag car out of.
Well, yeah, if you've got a decent shop, and the experience and skills, you can do all sorts of stuff with it, but to restore, or to "fix up and drive," it's nothing but a disaster and a money pit.

I agree with you, though - great for a drag car.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Parts car period. If you can find any worth pulling? This ones too far gone IMO. If it was sitting on dry desert Phoenix ground different story. Sitting anywhere else on moist dirt with a tarp...junk.
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Parts car period. If you can find any worth pulling? This ones too far gone IMO. If it was sitting on dry desert Phoenix ground different story. Sitting anywhere else on moist dirt with a tarp...junk.
I couldn't agree more. Every car out on the farm is only good for parts. Ive checked every vehicle and it either has too much rot or too many missing parts. Very unfortunate but in my climate it doesn't take cars very long to turn into dirt.
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:01 AM

Thanks for posting those pics. Fun to look at. Funny how people used to just leave stuff out in the back "40".
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Well, yeah, if you've got a decent shop, and the experience and skills, you can do all sorts of stuff with it, but to restore, or to "fix up and drive," it's nothing but a disaster and a money pit.

I agree with you, though - great for a drag car.

- Eric
Better in my opinion to see this car saved as a race car than a pile of parts to sell. As a drag car someday someone could buy it and put it back on the street. As a parts car it is gone.JMHO
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sure -- for you, an experienced builder and racer, I agree.

And I would encourage you to get in touch with anyone you know who would like to start a project like this to contact this guy, so that maybe he can sell it whole to someone with the skills, equipment, and motivation - that would be great.

But not for this guy or any "regular guy" who just wants a weekend project.

- Eric
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Sure -- for you, an experienced builder and racer, I agree.

And I would encourage you to get in touch with anyone you know who would like to start a project like this to contact this guy, so that maybe he can sell it whole to someone with the skills, equipment, and motivation - that would be great.

But not for this guy or any "regular guy" who just wants a weekend project.

- Eric
I would advertise it as a candidate. Before i would part it out but that is just me. By the way it is really easy to make a race car. No real difficult problems like when you restore a car for the street. The car may have a posi rearend!The convertible chevy may have a posi rearend.The convertible has seats. I have seen much worse changed into race/ drivers. I know the op isn't interested in doing this. It is a shame that the fate of this car is parts.I said if i was closer i would help. Have a good day Eric.
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I would advertise it as a candidate. Before i would part it out but that is just me. By the way it is really easy to make a race car. No real difficult problems like when you restore a car for the street. The car may have a posi rearend!The convertible chevy may have a posi rearend.The convertible has seats. I have seen much worse changed into race/ drivers. I know the op isn't interested in doing this. It is a shame that the fate of this car is parts.I said if i was closer i would help. Have a good day Eric.
Hey. I agree with you.

It's not a question of whether it is unusually difficult to make a race car - it's just a question of whether the person in question is set up to build, pull, and install engines and transmissions and stuff like that. Not strictly "difficult," but often way out at the edges of the capacities of the weekend restorer.

Making a car like that into a race car involves the "heavier" parts of a frame-off restoration (body mounts have to be changed and all suspension has to come off), without the actual restoration parts of the job (like fancy painting, plating, and polishing), but that's too much for a lot of people.

With any luck, he will find a good buyer. Since you're not interested personally, he may value your opinion of what a fair price for a whole car in that condition would be, so that he can market it effectively (or he may not).

And a good day to you, as well, sir.

- Eric
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

With the limited knowledge about the condition of this car at this point, I can't imagine seeing it as anything but a parts car. After he drags it out that might be another story. This thing could have a frame rotted out. Parting a car out is not necessarily a bad thing. The parts may allow several people to complete the restoration they have been laboring over. Maybe after we see more of this car, it might be a candidate for a race car. I guess time will tell.
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Hey. I agree with you.

It's not a question of whether it is unusually difficult to make a race car - it's just a question of whether the person in question is set up to build, pull, and install engines and transmissions and stuff like that. Not strictly "difficult," but often way out at the edges of the capacities of the weekend restorer.

Making a car like that into a race car involves the "heavier" parts of a frame-off restoration (body mounts have to be changed and all suspension has to come off), without the actual restoration parts of the job (like fancy painting, plating, and polishing), but that's too much for a lot of people.

With any luck, he will find a good buyer. Since you're not interested personally, he may value your opinion of what a fair price for a whole car in that condition would be, so that he can market it effectively (or he may not).

And a good day to you, as well, sir.

- Eric
I have a buddy that is taking it. He has a real garage and has the knowledge and tools to take on such a task. We should be pulling it out this weekend. I don't think he wants to make a racecar out of it. But if we can't get the entire vin number then that's what's its going to turn into. I will keep you guys updated.
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Chiller 449 thanks for the update on the Olds. I am glad someone is going to try and save this car from being parts. There is plenty of common olds part cars. The 69 442 cars are getting harder to find in any shape.
Old March 30th, 2016, 02:40 PM

like was said that is a manual steering manual brake no air, 4SPEED 442, get that damn car, take it home, clean it out clean it up, give it real good evaluation< and remember everything doesn't have to be a #s matching 100 point resto to be fun!!! and if your in this hobby for value are to make money, you should probably be golfing!!! get that car!!!!!!!